[Inside Government] Midterm Senate Satisfaction Polling Analysis

Mid-term Senate Satisfaction Polling Analysis
How satisfied is the Europeian public with the Senate?

Written by Forilian

The Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) ran a poll on satisfaction with the Senate from 29 to 31 July. There were 25 respondents.

Overall Satisfaction
Only 44 percent of respondents said that they were satisfied with the Senate as a whole, with notably no respondent saying they were very satisfied with the Senate. This is a significant drop from the last Senate, which had a 76.9 percent satisfaction rate at the end of the term. 24 percent of respondents were neutral about the work of the Senate, while another 24 percent were unsatisfied, with a further 8 percent very unsatisfied. Comments were generally negative towards the Senate, but one commenter noted that “despite some hiccups” the Senate “has still passed four bills, one of which was a fairly big change to the way Senate elections work.”
09A693AA-A743-4545-B3C8-13FAC2C92ECC.jpeg
Despite some hiccups it has still passed four bills, one of which was a fairly big change to the way Senate elections work.
Seems a little aimless.
Seems like nothing's getting done. Pages and pages of discussion.
That VP requirement took too much time and attention. Those walls they typed... Really could have used their energy better, in my opinion
This Senate hasn’t achieved very much, and it’s due to select Senators.
Stop trying to "fix" things that aren't broken. Especially when the proposed fixes often break things
Senate Speaker GraVandius
Senate Speaker GraVandius received the same satisfaction rating as the Senate as a whole, 44 percent. This includes 20 percent of respondents being very satisfied, and 24 percent being satisfied. 24 percent were neutral, 24 percent unsatisfied, and 8 percent very unsatisfied. Comments were split, with some responses noting that GraVandius is “doing [a] pretty good job” and that “he’s done what he’s supposed to,” while some other respondents had less positive remarks, with one saying that GraVandius “does not seem to have the emotional maturity for the job.”
A52889CC-C770-483B-AAC2-524AB015C9CA.jpeg
He's a good Senator and he's great at his admin duties as Speaker. He isn't a "neutral" Speaker like Lloen was when it comes to issues however. GraV makes pretty clear when he's angry or frustrated.
Does not seem to have the emotional maturity for the job
Doing pretty good job
Why so aggressive?
Good performance this term, able to argue his points well but also is willing to accept he is in the minority at times.
The senate started off very well but then that VP thing... Really expected better coordination and less unnecessary emotions. I'm satisfied with him as a senator but not as speaker
Declaring the amendment as "urgent" was a weird reaction.
He’s done what he’s supposed to.
Senator Calvin Coolidge
Senator Calvin Coolidge received a satisfaction rating of 56 percent, with 36 percent very satisfied and 20 percent satisfied. 20 percent of respondents were neutral, 12 percent unsatisfied, and another 12 percent very unsatisfied. Positive comments for Calvin Coolidge noted that while his views are “controversial” or “isn’t popular,” he “knows when to concede and step back,” while negative comments called him an “obstructionist” and said that “his stances he takes are stubborn and not explained well.”
C01BF0F4-0076-4D69-97BD-3A7D8E5CD939.jpeg
Calvin has raised his points quite well in the Senate. And has engaged in debates even if his opinion isn't popular.
Again, the VP thing. He and all the others made it so annoying...
I don't mind the ideas he has, but his stances he takes are stubborn and not explained well.
Overall I think he's done well. He can seem a bit like an obstructionist at times however.
Not much to say. Keeps bringing up controversial legislation, but knows when to concede and step back. Knows how to get things done rather than holding discussions hostage.
Obstructionist.
I don't know how his ridiculously damaging views continue to allow him to be elected.
Senator Darkslayer
With a satisfaction rating of 76 percent, Senator Darkslayer received the highest approval rating of the entire Senate. 28 percent of respondents were very satisfied, 48 percent satisfied, with 8 percent each neutral, unsatisfied, and very unsatisfied. Comments were generally positive, with two even indicating that they would like to see Darkslayer serve as Senate speaker.
B14E7330-A400-4A4F-B8F5-A46B3A21AB7E.jpeg
He's done a good job. He knows when to stick his ground and when to fall back.
I expected better from him, he makes some really disappointing and silly decisions, his view on VP being a minister was ridiculous, poorly reasoned and generally made no sense. This senator is completely out of touch with the rest of the region and should resign.
Seemed a little shaky/wish-washy at the start of the term, but has been doing an excellent job lately.
Was quite good, especially in the beginning. Then kind of disappeared but maybe it was for the better, given how much controversy there was. Good choice for speaker next time, has potential. Honestly, while writing the comment I went from neutral to satisfied
Darkslayer showed good leadership during the senate speaker process, running the process really well. Although the AIC caused some controversy, he knew to withdraw it without putting it a vote, and apologised. I think Darkslayer knows when to make the right calls at the right time. I hope to see him as speaker in the future.
Senator Lime
Senator Lime received a satisfaction rating of 52 percent, with 8 percent very satisfied and 44 percent satisfied. Lime received the highest neutral response out of all senators, with 32 percent neutral. Notably, no respondent indicated that they were very unsatisfied with Lime, with only 16 percent of responses indicating they were unsatisfied with Lime. Comments were split between positive and neutral, with three comments indicating that Lime was relatively quiet, and 2 responses saying that Lime, “still [did] a good job” and “makes some very good points.”
CBA01036-E15B-4116-9153-AF697CF2A093.jpeg
He makes some very good points and I can clearly see his line of thought.
Is he even there?
Quieter this term, but still a good job.
Quiet, but not inactive. True neutral here
Senator Mr. Verteger
Senator Mr. Verteger received a 60 percent satisfaction rating, with 44 percent very satisfied, the highest of any senator, and 16 percent satisfied. 12 percent were neutral, and while Mr. Verteger received a relatively high dissatisfaction rating at 28 percent, there were no very unsatisfied responses for Mr. Verteger. Comments were overwhelmingly positive, with commenters saying that Mr. Verteger “surprised” and “impressed” them this term, and a commenter describing him as an “outstanding” Senator, with one even going further to say that he is “the best Senator so far.”
D03E5571-8B52-458C-9113-6D967A6F7BD5.jpeg
Vert has been a very good Senator. Active, provides good responses and was the mastermind behind the large changes to Senate elections.
Crazy madman? Sure. But an effective Senator so far.
Really impressed this term. Proposes legislation with sound reasoning, has articulate arguments. Not always the most practical/supported legislation, but I can see his reasoning and justification clearly.
Started some discussions, actually the best senator so far. If it were possible, I would reelect him
Vert has been outstanding as a Senator this term
Really surprised me this term. Sad that he’s not running again, because I need to V4V for once
Senator Pichtonia
Senator Pichtonia received an approval rating of 68 percent, with 28 percent very satisfied and 40 percent satisfied. 20 percent of respondents were neutral, with 4 percent unsatisfied and 8 percent very unsatisfied. Comments were generally positive, with commenters adding that Pichtonia “adds a steady voice to discussions” and “keeps his head cool and calm.”
47A13566-99A6-43A8-A821-FA2C11A5201D.jpeg
Pichto makes his line of thought very clear and argues his points well.
I dislike his views on the VP, but he does at least have some reasoning there, even if it is wrong
Doing a fine job, always adds a steady voice to discussions.
Willing to compromise but... compromise wasn't achieved. I'm not sure anyone could have done better though
Often one of two adults in the Senate (the other being Prim.) Keeps his head cool and calm.
Senator Prim
Note: Prim has since resigned from his Senate position.

Senator Prim received a satisfaction rating of 64 percent, with 36 percent very satisfied and 28 percent satisfied. 16 percent were neutral, with 20 percent unsatisfied. Comments were positive generally, with his work being described as “very good.”
BB44C429-2B9B-4ED2-8B8D-59C2011FFCDF.jpeg
Prim has done well and made good contributions. Not as active as he was last term, but still very good.
Not much to say, experienced legislator.
I really didn't see what he was doing, a weird term. Though I might be wrong
Prim is the other adult in the Senate, and keeps the Senate (relatively) cool and calm. Very good job, Prim.
Re-Election?
We then asked respondents who they would like to see re-elected to the next Senate. 72 percent of respondents wanted to see Senator Pichtonia re-elected, followed by Darkslayer (64 percent), Prim (60 percent), Mr. Verteger (60 percent), Calvin Coolidge (48 percent), GraVandius (44 percent), and Lime (32 percent).
26452EDA-09DB-4CFE-BD08-8722AAC0B618.jpeg
Who would you want to see elected to the 75th Senate that isn’t on the 74th?
Lloenflys (6)
Peeps, Forilian, South Eastern Centralia (5)
Aexnidaral, McEntire, Malashaan, Common-Sense Politics (3)
Drecq, Istillian, Astrellan, Seva, SkyGreen24, HEM (2)
Lethen, United Vietussia, Dax, Vlaska, Darcness, Maowi, Xecrio (1)
Darcness, Drecq, Malashaan, CSP, Peeps, Istillian, DAX, McEntire
Lloenflys
Aex, CSP, Peeps, Fori
SkyGreen, SEC, Ist, Maowi, Seva
HEM, McEntire, Lloenflys
Forilian, Vlaska, SEC, Lloen
I want to see Forilian there finally. Also Peeps, SEC, Siph/Astrellan; Vlaska would be interesting but probably impossible, Lloenflys of course, is such a calming influence, McEntire; Lethen would be fun to see in the Senate, please, make dreams come true
Xecrio, South Eastern Centralia, Seva, SkyGreen, Forilian
SEC, Aex and Mal
Peeps, Siphlygon, Malashaan, HEM, Aexnidaral, Forilian
Peeps, Lloenflys
Malashaan, Drecq, Lloen, UV, SEC, Peeps, CSP

Last edited:
Perhaps as a compromise the EBC adopts a policy of publishing substantive comments only? Taking out the "good" or the objectively mean ones. I know that I might be in the minority on this as well, but poll comments are a bit over the top across the board, not just on this thread.

Honestly all of the "controversial" issues the Senate has taken up this term have been blown way out of proportion imo. We've not touched anything major (baring voting reform which was passed very easily) yet the issues we have taken on have produced significant overreactions.

Regarding poll comments, some people do choose to abuse the anonymity that comments provide and that is unfortunate. However, anonymous comments do still hold significant benefits and can allow people to raise constructive criticism or concerns without the fear of retribution. The EBC will not however, air openly abusive and/or rude comments as we won't provide a platform for people to attack a person's personality and/or intelligence. Indeed a comment from this very poll was not included as it clearly crossed the IC/OOC line and was an insulting attack on a person's intelligence, rather than a legitimate IC issue.

Censorship is a dangerous path to go down here, and I'd prefer all comments get published, rather than the ones viewed as "good" by the Ministry of Communications. Interesting to see that this poll had one comment removed, but not others that, at least in my view, also crossed a line, but I guess that goes back to my first point. Post all comments, and call out those who abuse this privilege.

EDIT: Obviously those that violate Terms of Service would be excluded, but I don't think that would be a very common occurrence.

To my knowledge there was no comment removed. As the author, I published all the comments, and at no point did any editor come forward and ask me to remove a comment.

EDIT: @Lime has reached out to me saying that a comment would have been removed had it not been edited. It was edited, which was why it wasn't removed.

It appears that the comment in question was not removed and instead the OP edited their comment removing the insult that would not have been published.

I agree that censorship is a fine line to cross but I think it is one the Ministry can manage. To elaborate on my previous post, if a commenter said "Senator X is an idiot" that clearly crosses an IC/OCC line where the comment is not about the Senator's performance in the role and instead is just an attack on a person OOC. If someone said Senator X is an obstructionlist however, that is still clearly about the performance of a Senator in their IC office. While it may be an attack, its an attack on a person's IC political views/actions and not just a personality attack against a person OOC. The intent is clearly different in both scenarios and there is a clear difference between them, which would allow one comment to be "acceptable" and one to be "unacceptable."

I wasn't referring to the obstructionist comment, Lime, but the "ridiculously damaging views" one. I don't think something needs to cross an IC/OOC line to go too far. I also wouldn't want it removed, but I do view it as something that should be called out.

Right, there is no "objective" line that can be drawn for comments (other than Terms of Service), so I wouldn't feel comfortable censoring any of them. Let the light shine on the negativity!

Maybe we just need a stronger culture of owning up to the things that were said anonymously. Does anyone who said anything anonymously want to stand up in the public square and air their grievances? Or are we content to slink into that dark night of poll comments?

I personally don't say anything privately people aren't aware of public. That I can recollect. I air my grievances. Then again I don't think I've risen above any comfort levels and if I have, please tell me. I'm happy to correct myself and apologize!

I am not infallible. No one is. I encourage everyone, even myself, to remember that there is a person behind the screen.

I think the vagueness of the comments is what really strikes me. I've had bad terms. I've known I could have done more. Poll results have reflected that, but the comments don't always help me.

"Could've done better." "Just not doing great." Lovely....also huh? Add context! If it's too much work to explain it....you don't have to comment?

I think it's hard for those members who aren't engaged daily on the forum to track things like Senate discussion, debate, or even bill passage, which probably helps contribute to the feeling that the Senate has been gridlocked, for lack of a better term. Polls, elections, etc. are all broadcast in various Discord channels, but I know I have never seen (in my admittedly short time back) anything to the effect of "Great progress made on Bill X on the Senate today!" Perhaps publishing more information on progress being made even on a weekly basis would be of some benefit for those who don't want to scroll through paragraphs of debate.

"Could've done better." "Just not doing great." Lovely....also huh? Add context! If it's too much work to explain it....you don't have to comment?
This has always been my approach to comments, too. I'll leave in-depth comments - or as in-depth as I can be - but oftentimes if it's not really too in-depth or vague, I'll just...not leave the comment :p

Back