[Inside Government] Midterm Executive Satisfaction Poll Results and Analysis

Midterm Executive Satisfaction Poll Results and Analysis
How the Calvin Coolidge Administration is Doing and How it Compares to Previous Administrations

Written by Pland Adanna

On March 28th (UTC), the Europeian Broadcasting Center (EBC) began to conduct its midterm executive satisfaction poll. The poll was closed on March 31st (UTC) and received 28 responses. In this analysis, we compare the results of this midterm’s satisfaction poll with the results from polls taken in the past few administrations. Europeia’s wait to see the results of the EBC’s latest poll is officially over.

Overall, Presidential, and Vice Presidential Satisfaction

Overall Executive Satisfaction - 78.6%

Executive Overall.png
Unfortunate resignations but good work regardless
The administration has been generally running smoothly, even amidst a surprising number of Cabinet resignations
A lot of turnover early on, hard to judge some of the ministries.
Overall it's running well, but some things have been hamstrung by resignations and replacements. Thankfully there were some good options for those vacant ministries. Calvin has yet to do anything controversial though so there's still time (that was a joke). Also this isn't the fault of Calvin - more a general complaint - but I think the general populace would know more about what's happening with the ministries if they weren't buried at the bottom of the page. Maybe we can look into a way to push people to those ministries so we can read those updates and speeches? Not sure, and this is something I've been griping about for a year or two now.
Despite the resignations which couldn't be helped, I have nothing to complain about concerning the executive. Also ily GC qt3.14 owo xoxoxox
Things are very slow. It's definitely a region-wide issue so it can't be fully blamed on the executive, but they could be more active to counter the decline in activity.
The resignations might've damped the flow a bit, but I feel like they bounced back quickly.

President Calvin’s executive, despite being plagued by resignations, has a strong approval rating of 78.6%, with only one respondent being dissatisfied. With a net approval of 75%, the Calvin Administration slightly trails the net overall satisfaction of the executive under President Pichtonia (Midterm: 82.7%, End-of-Term: 84.6%). However, the administration received higher marks than the administrations of both President Peeps (Midterm: 44.0%, End-of-Term: 60.9%) and President Sopo (Midterm: 70.9%, End-of-Term: 72.7%).

President Calvin - 78.6%

Calvin Approval.png
A competent leader so far
Calvin has done a magnificent job
Rather invisible, which is good
Seems like a caretaker President, competent enough to keep the ministries running but without an overarching strategic vision for the region
he's done a good job even through some unavoidable shakiness in the cabinet
what did he do to make everyone resign
Very communicative and helpful, engaged in ministries and not afraid to offer input. Great guy.
Calvin has done an exemplary job, showing himself to be a good leader. Plus he's cute and did a great job handling the resignations and IRC.

President Calvin’s approval rating of 78.6% is the same as the approval rating of the overall executive branch. However, more respondents were “very satisfied” with President Calvin than with the executive overall, meaning Europeians either see some problems with the executive that are out of the president’s control (such as the resignations) or are simply more excited about Calvin. However, more people were unsatisfied with Calvin as well. Interestingly, despite the lack of a current major dispute, Calvin’s net approval of 60.8% mirrors President Pichtonia’s end-of-term net approval of 61.6%, which came amidst the Embassy controversy.

Vice President Istillian - 85.7%

Istillian Approval.png
Ist is a rockstar, nothing less
Istillian is simply marvelous, oh and he has been doing well as VP too
I don't know what Ist does
Voted neutral. A bit hard to say since there's always the curse of the VP, and I just don't know what he's been doing/working on.
handsome
While I assume he does a lot more behind the scenes in executive management, he has been doing a lot of work in the navy and I love it
Istillian is just great. You often don't see VPs in front a lot but I get the feeling Isto's doing a good job.

Vice President Istillian received very high marks and, while his approval rating is not too far ahead of the president’s, 57.1% are “very satisfied” with VP Istillian while only 28.6% are “very satisfied” with President Calvin. While many Cabinet members received numbers close to this, the only Cabinet member other than Istillian to reach 57.1% “very satisfied” was Grand Admiral Peeps. Having “very satisfied” dominate “satisfied” in his approval rating is a good sign for Istillian if he plans to continue running for office. Also, while President Calvin’s net approval mirrored the previous president’s end-of-term net approval, Istillian’s net approval of 82.1% is a fair amount higher than the net approval of former Vice President Kuramia at the end of her term (69.3%). Istillian’s popularity bodes well for him, regardless of where he goes after this term ends.

Cabinet and Ministry Satisfaction

Despite a significant amount of shakeup in the Cabinet, with the resignation of four of the president’s eight initial picks, many ministries still have strong approval numbers.

Ministry of Interior - 75%
Minister GrandfatherClock - 78.6%

Interior.png
GrandfatherClock.png
Even if it isn’t reflected in the nation count, GC is doing his best and I appreciate that.
GC is doing an excellent job
GrandfatherClock is one of the most proactive ministers of interior I've seen, good coverage of all interior needs, not just recruitment.
Only a satisfied from me, but that's because of population fluctuations/drops and where are we with integration? Not that there's as many people to integrate since we've seemed to have less citizenship applications as of late. Not sure what's going on there.
great citizen
Doing wonderfully, although I wish he would stop sending me his empty bowls of raisin mustard cashew dishes in DMs. First time minister and very engaged and involved, always willing to listen to new ideas and consistently inspires and displays interest in his work. Stellar!
GC is doing a good job, especially for a first time minister

The Ministry of Interior’s approval rating of 75% is pretty good and is a slight increase in net approval from the Interior under President Pichtonia (Midterm: 51.8%, End-of-Term: 53.9%). Interior is rarely among the most popular ministries so this approval should be considered a win for the Calvin Administration. The midterm executive satisfaction poll during Peeps’ presidency made Interior the only ministry to receive a negative net approval (-12%) since the executive remerge and the ministry continues to hold that title to this day. Both the comments and his approval rating show Minister GrandfatherClock to be an impressive minister, especially because this is his first time. While GrandfatherClock’s approval rating mirrors that of the ministry, several more people are “very satisfied” with his job than with that of the ministry. These Interior numbers are even more impressive because they come amid a drop in total Europeian population and frequent calls for better integration tactics, meaning the Ministry of Interior is already popular and has a fair amount of room to grow.

Ministry of Culture - 67.9%
Minister Rotasu - 60.7%

Culture.png
Rotasu.png
Little bit sparse activity on the weekends but understandable
Unfortunate that Rotasu had to resign
It's a shame Rot resigned, and I think we're all excited to see what happens with UPC. There are some projects that are still getting off the ground, but I think the projects that are on-going could be better advertised? Or something akin to that since I feel like the general player base isn't getting as involved / aren't as interested as they could be. Not sure how that can be addressed though (and ROTW pulls people away too so that can't help - though that's also the purview more of Foreign?). Hmm...
Was disappointed to see Rotasu leaving
Weekend games haven't been happening very often, and little else appears to be happening bar cards spearheaded by UPC.
Excellent, especially taking into account that Rota's like 9 years old. Rotasu brings enthusiasm into the ministry.

The Ministry of Culture has a decent approval rating of 67.9%, with a lot of room for improvement. Despite the launch of NASPAQ, Europeia’s first trading card program, several of the comments complained about inactivity, especially when it comes to weekend games. The comments were also upset at the resignation of Minister Rotasu, who was replaced by Minister UPC upon the latter's unanimous Senate confirmation on March 30th (UTC). While the comments expressed support of Rotasu’s job, the poll showed him trailing the ministry overall by 7.2%. Despite poll results showing that the ministry isn’t currently at its best (with a net approval of 53.6%), it has improved on last term’s end-of-term net approval of 34.6%.

Ministry of Radio - 85.7%
Minister Darkslayer - 85.7%

Radio.png
Darkslayer.png
Good planning and initiative on shows this term
Great work so far Dark
It's like riding a bike for Dark! We're churning out shows, and I'm not sure what might need to be fixed or tweaked. Maybe more content? Or more people getting involved as hosts?
Darkslayer is so associated with MinRad it's almost hard to imagine it without him by now. Love his work.

The Ministry of Radio, which is consistently one of the most popular ministries, returned an approval of 85.7%, the same approval as its minister. Minister Darkslayer turned out to be the most popular minister in the Cabinet and, like several other ministers, received more “very satisfied” responses than his ministry as a whole. All the comments were positive and included no mention of Minister Xecrio’s early resignation. Despite the high marks, the Ministry of Radio is ever so slightly trailing its net approval under former President Pichtonia (Midterm: 89.7%, End-of-Term: 84.6%). Regardless, Europeians are clearly satisfied with their radio service.

Ministry of Communications - 42.9%
Minister McEntire - 17.8%

Communications.png
McEntire.png
Not that he’s completely gone, but McEntire is a little less active than I’d like. Not a huge issue, but something to note.
Comms has been a little bit sluggish is all
McEntire is obviously very competent, but his effort thus far this term is concerning.
Comms hasn't seemed as active this term, even before McEntire's LoA
McEntire is very good when they are active
Not really sure what's going on there, honestly. I feel like EBC content has been pretty poor, and I'm not sure what's going on with Comms.
Very few articles and even fewer dispatches have been released, and most of the articles have been the success stories reducing the variety. The Senate poll results were also late in being released.
McEntirely satisfied

The Ministry of Communications is by far the least popular ministry in the Calvin Administration. Despite a net approval of 14.3%, its approval rating is less than 50%, which wasn’t helped by former Minister McEntire’s negative net approval. 46.4% of respondents were dissatisfied with McEntire’s performance. McEntire resigned recently because of real life but, before that, his activity seems to have already affected his job as minister. Nonetheless, the comments are mixed over the ministry, with one person saying “McEntirely satisfied” to another saying they’re “not sure what’s going on with Comms” and the “EBC content has been pretty poor.” President Calvin and Vice President Istillian, both former Comms Ministers, are trying to help out the ministry by getting more involved and filling in for others who are busy. The president has appointed Klatonia, who runs The Think Tank but has never served in the ministry, as the next minister. In Klatonia’s Senate confirmation thread, President Calvin opened up a bit on the state of Comms. He mentioned how the administration has been busy with resignations and inactivity and admitted that “while we were aware of the problem, we had too much faith that it would sort itself out as we dealt with other issues.” The president, however, seems confident that citizens will understand and the situation will improve. “We can't solve everything ourselves, and I don't think people would want us to,” he said. “However, we are much better positioned now to put ourselves into the work of helping Communications succeed in a way that we were not earlier.”

Ministry of Foreign Affairs - 78.6%
Minister Monkey - 71.4%

Foreign Affairs.png
Monkey.png
Outreach to more regions has been better this term
Monkey is doing well
Monkey is really in his element in Foreign Affairs, very satisfied.
FA is Calvin's biggest weakness. His foreign policy isn't a flop, but it doesn't have any structure to it either. It's essentially a checklist. I don't get the impression that Calvin is very engaged with our allies, either
It's running smoothly from what I can tell, and no news is good news (mostly). Monkey of course is a consummate pro.
So much has gotten done!
smelly primate
I really didn't think kissing with tongue was a great way to do foreign policy, but experienced FA person Monkey has been doing a great job.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has a pretty strong approval rating, as does its minister. While more are satisfied with the ministry than with Minister Monkey, more respondents reported being “very satisfied” with the minister than with the ministry as a whole. The comments were mostly good. They praised Minister Monkey, the regional outreach, and the ministry’s general productivity this term. However, one respondent was concerned over the Calvin Administration’s handling of foreign affairs in general, saying, “FA is Calvin's biggest weakness. His foreign policy isn't a flop, but it doesn't have any structure to it either. It's essentially a checklist. I don't get the impression that Calvin is very engaged with our allies, either.” While it seems the majority of respondents disagree, it should be noted that the net approval of 71.4% is almost the exact same as FA’s net approval at the end of President Pichtonia’s term (69.2%), at the time of a major foreign scandal. During Pichtonia’s term, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ net approval dropped 20 points between the midterm and end-of-term polls. It remains to be seen whether the ministry is just slow to rebound or whether these lower numbers are here to stay.

Ministry of Justice - 67.9%
Attorney General Lloenflys - 78.6%

Justice.png
Lloenflys.png
A little bit sleepy up until recently
There needs to be serious efforts to have the law clerks getting practical experience
Lloenflys is great, Justice is quiet but what is new
We got a veto!
owl is ugly bird
I wish the ministry was more excited about training opportunities and willing to reach out to people and encourage them to learn more
Legal Eagleflys has been doing stellar work.

The Ministry of Justice has a decent approval, which trails that of its attorney general, Lloenflys. While the comments suggest that the term hasn’t been the most engaging or active in the ministry, citizens still generally approve. The comments are interested in more opportunities for “training” and getting “practical experience.” Attorney General Lloenflys has started looking to fix the lower rate of participation in the ministry but it’s unclear whether the problem can be resolved by the end of the term. While the president and VP have stepped in to fix issues in Comms and citizens are participating in multiple discussions over how to improve Interior’s integration and engagement, the Ministry of Justice hasn’t received much attention, possibly causing the problem of lower participation to remain.

Ministry of World Assembly Affairs - 78.6%
Minister Maowi - 78.6%

World Assembly Affairs.png
Maowi.png
Sad to see Maowi go, she did a great job. Understandable circumstances though.
Maowi was so excellent, a very active minister and good work before the resignation
Will certainly miss Maowi but confident that Seva will perform adequately
What a loss.
Maowi is amazing. Period.
Maowi is a person who brings enthusiasm wherever she goes and it's apparent that she's very comfortable in WAA so it's always nice to see her leading the ministry.

The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs (WAA) has a 78.6% approval, which matches the approval of former Minister Maowi. This approval lags a bit behind the ministry’s approval under previous administrations. However, given the circumstances, the Calvin Administration can probably consider their WAA Ministry a success so far. Of the ministry’s rating, a large portion were “very satisfied” and only one citizen reported being unsatisfied with the ministry. In addition, these numbers come off the heels of a bit of chaos in the ministry’s ranks, when both Minister Maowi and Deputy Minister Baobab resigned in the same week. The administration and the Senate moved very quickly to confirm Maowi’s successor, Seva, but, for a bit, the ministry came to a sort of halt. Regardless, this term in the WAA Ministry has included many active and early discussions, prompt IFVs, and a few proposal drafts in the works. All the comments in this section of the poll expressed approval of Maowi’s job as WAA Minister. It remains to be seen how the ministry will do for the rest of the term under Minister Seva as the ministry hasn’t yet returned to its previous activity prior to the resignation and the “halt.”

Europeian Republican Navy - 89.3%
Grand Admiral Peeps - 82.1%

ERN and Peeps.png
Getting back into the swing of things after a slow period
Peeps is spectacular
The Navy has done a good job continuing to improve training materials and work with allies
Our Navy is so active.
Peppy Peepsy is doing a great job with the Navy, and I love that he takes an active but responsible approach to his job. Very well connected, great personal military capabilities and good communication and leadership. Wonderful GA.
Great job from Peeps and the Navy in general. Really enjoying their work this term, especially the hold.

The Europeian Republican Navy (ERN) returned the highest approval and net approval rating, with an approval of 89.3%. Grand Admiral Peeps is the second-most popular minister (behind Darkslayer) with 82.1% satisfied. The ERN produced excellent “very satisfied” numbers as well: It had more respondents “very satisfied” than any ministry and the Grand Admiral had more respondents “very satisfied” than any minister. These high numbers come just a couple of months after the extremely controversial raid of the Embassy by the ERN. Net approval jumped 31.8% since the end of President Pichtonia’s term so the ERN has clearly bounced back. According to the comments, Grand Admiral Peeps has led the ERN into a period of significant activity and productivity, which has resulted in the first ERN-led hold since August.

Next Term’s Cabinet

Which Ministers Should Return

Which Cabinet Ministers Should Return?.png

This question only included the ministers in office when the poll was launched. The office of Culture Minister was vacant and former Minister McEntire had not yet resigned. However, Ministers Darkslayer and Seva already held their positions. All of the ministers listed, with the exception of McEntire, had a majority of respondents wanting them to return in the next cabinet. McEntire, however, only received one vote. With the exception of Minister Monkey, the portion of citizens who wanted these ministers to return to the cabinet was less than the portion that approved of their job so far. Interestingly, one respondent reported feeling “Neutral” about Monkey’s job but still wanted to see them return to the cabinet.

Other Potential Ministers

The poll also asked who, of the people not currently in the cabinet, respondents would like to see in the next Cabinet. The results for each ministry are as follows:

Interior: Monkey (1)
Culture: UPC (1), Sopo (1), Baobab (1), Icarus (1)
Radio: GrandfatherClock (1), Lime (1), Icarus (1)
Communications: Lime (3), SkyGreen24 (1), Maowi (1)
Foreign Affairs: CSP (1), Kazaman (1)
Justice: No suggestions
World Assembly Affairs: Maowi (3), Pland Adanna (3)
Europeian Republican Navy: Vor (2), Istillian (1), Koroniti (1)
Unspecified Ministry: CSP (2), SkyGreen24 (2), Deepest House (1), UPC (1), Malashaan (1), Baobab (1), Forilian (1)

A total of 18 people were listed, leaving many options for future presidents. The most frequently suggested people were Maowi and Pland Adanna for the Ministry of WAA and Lime for Communications. No one had suggestions for the Attorney General, despite only 57.1% saying they want to continue seeing Lloenflys in that role.

The Next Election

President Calvin and Vice President Istillian

Reelection.png

The president has a significant amount of work to do in a potential reelection bid, with only nine respondents saying they would vote for him if the election was today and six respondents saying they wouldn’t. Meanwhile, things are looking extremely good for Vice President Istillian, who could only lose reelection by losing support. This could be interesting, especially if Calvin decides not to seek reelection. In that situation, Istillian may have a good shot if he wants to succeed him. However, if the president runs for reelection with Vice President Istillian, he could certainly attract people who said “yes” to Istillian and “maybe” to Calvin.

Other Potential Candidates

The result of a reelection bid isn’t purely based on the job of the president. The challenger matters a lot too. It’s also possible Calvin won’t run for reelection, in which case the following names matter even more. These people were mentioned as potential candidates for president:

Istillian (6)
Darkslayer (5)
UPC (5)
Common-Sense Politics (5)
SkyGreen24 (2)
Seva (2)
Maowi (2)
Lime (2)
Monkey (2)
Prim (2)
Kuramia (1)
Vor (1)
Kazaman (1)
Pichtonia (1)
HEM (1)
Lloenflys (1)
Forilian (1)
Peeps (1)
Malashaan (1)
Sopo (1)

The most frequently mentioned person was unsurprisingly Vice President Istillian, with six recommendations. The only other people to receive more than two votes were Darkslayer, UPC, and Common-Sense Politics. In total, the list includes 20 people. Even if just a few run, that would make for a very interesting election.

An excellent job for your first poll analysis! Well done!

I am a little surprised at how high Culture's numbers were, I would have expected a slightly lower figure but maybe all the excitement about cards overshadowed any other concerns people may have had.

An excellent job for your first poll analysis! Well done!

I am a little surprised at how high Culture's numbers were, I would have expected a slightly lower figure but maybe all the excitement about cards overshadowed any other concerns people may have had.
That also surprised me!

Good analysis @Pland Adanna ; I love the work you've been doing in Comms

I'm really late for this, but I love your work PA, awesome analysis!

Ist has certainly been one of the most popular VPs, no surprise people want him to run for President. As for Culture, many people were dissatisfied last term, so their reference point was rather low, so it makes sense that any concerns they might have had were overshadowed. Plus there was a resignation, also might have affected satisfaction - I wouldn't say Culture was awful this term or last term anyway though

Back