[Inside Government] Midterm Executive Satisfaction Poll Analysis

Midterm Executive Satisfaction Poll Analysis
How do citizens view the Executive?

Written by Seva

The Europeian Broadcasting Corporation conducted a poll asking citizens how satisfied they were with the Executive's performance during the first half of the term. The poll was open for approximately 48 hours, starting with January 20, and attracted 29 responses, 6 more than the previous poll on the Executive.

President, Vice President, Overall Satisfaction

Overall Executive - 89.65%

1611441177743.png

The Executive overall boasts an exceptionally high satisfaction rating compared to previous midterm polls. However, it is worth noting that an overwhelming majority of respondents opted for the option "Satisfied", indicating that the Executive has not completely entangled citizens, whose opinion on it is not yet set in stone and may change for the worse towards the end of the term. With only two respondents unsatisfied, it is not clear what potential problems the Pichtonia administration is facing, and the two constructive comments do not contain any criticism, both endorsing the Executive's performance in general.

1611441951451.png

President Pichtonia - 89.65%

1611442122641.png

President Pichtonia returns the exact same very high satisfaction rating, with one significant difference: respondents were evenly split between high and moderate satisfaction. Such a development indicates that Pichtonia is viewed as a proactive leader who managed to stay visible to the population, perhaps even more so than his administration as a whole. Pichtonia's status as a citizen who is incredibly socially engaged with the community almost certainly attributes to the number of "very satisfied" responses received, whereas his overall approval can solely be traced back to his prowess in the government. However, one comment, while praising him overall, criticises Pichtonia for his accusations directed at a fellow citizen, which "might have gotten him some pushback" had they attracted more attention. Other comments indicated approval of Pichtonia and the fact that he is seeking reelection.

1611443149094.png

Vice President Kuramia - 79.31%

1611443285214.png

Vice President Kuramia, as is the case with most vice presidents in the past, returns a satisfaction rating lower than that of the president by ten percent. Such a difference may have been caused by the chronic lack of visibility of the position of vice president itself which has usually been the case throughout history, with a notable exception in the previous term when Pichtonia was vice president. Nevertheless, Kuramia's rating can be described as very high satisfaction, though of note is that 13.8 percent of respondents were unsatisfied. The "recipe" for Kuramia for the remainder of the term appears to be increasing visibility, which is also indicated in the otherwise very favourable comments.

1611444023687.png

Ministries Satisfaction

This time the ministries were listed in descending order of performance in the poll, and then in order of appearance in the poll in case of same approval rating.

Europeian Republican Navy - 96.55%

Grand Admiral Kazaman - 96.55%

1611446279152.png

The Europeian Republican Navy (ERN) and Grand Admiral Kazaman return the exact same near-perfect satisfaction rating, with zero percent unsatisfied and one respondent opting for "neutral". The ERN receives the highest approval of all ministries, continuing the upward trend of previous terms. It has seen an increase in sailor numbers per operation, as well as participating in the highly anticipated and successful Operation Boom Beach, which might explain the near-perfect approval. Commenters have only expressed praise and satisfaction with the ERN, one comment even calling its activity level "ridiculously high" and lauding Kazaman for maintaining it.

1611446860363.png

Ministry of Radio - 93.1%

Minister of Radio Xecrio - 82.76%

1611450048438.png

The Ministry of Radio is tied with the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs as the second-most approved of ministry. Minister of Radio Xecrio receives more neutral responses, but his rating is similar to that of the ministry. The constant output of shows, including the brand-new Kharnage of Nerds, and the newly emerged and fostered interest in Twitch streaming are the factors that most likely contributed to the continued exceptionally high ratings returned by the ministry and minister. The comments, however, raise some objections as to the ministry's course, complaining about "scheduling [getting] mixed up sometimes" and even the shows being "kind of bland", though versions of the latter comment have appeared in previous polls as well, and it is hard to draw conclusions from this single comment. One respondent wished for "more shows", while the rest gave compliments to the minister.

1611450006839.png

Ministry of World Assembly Affairs - 93.1%

Minister of World Assembly Affairs Seva - 89.65%

1611447167980.png

The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs is the tied second-most rated ministry, though unlike the Navy and Ministry of Radio it mostly receives moderate satisfaction, as opposed to the aforementioned two where the majority of responses indicate high satisfaction. The ministry received no "unsatisfied" responses, whereas its minister, Seva, left two respondents unsatisfied. Constant production of Information for Voters and some progress in drafting resolutions are the factors likely to have influenced this approval rating, however, the two unsatisfied respondents leave room for its minister to improve. The comments show a similar pattern of moderate approval, the only objection being about "some stalled projects", likely referring to the Commendations of HEM and Sopo which have not yet been voted on in the World Assembly.

1611447876650.png

Ministry of Communications - 89.65%

Minister of Communications SkyGreen24 - 82.76%

1611448205253.png

The third place was also occupied by two ministries, one of which was the Ministry of Communications, with approval well above average. Minister of Communications SkyGreen24 returned a slightly worse approval rating, as did most other ministers, and three voters expressed dissatisfaction with his handling of the ministry, as opposed to all respondents at least neutral in their assessment of the ministry itself. The Ministry has released nine articles and dispatches so far this term, including a "Year in Review" article, and recently announced working on the first "Lodestar article", all of which might have prompted respondents to give the solid approval rating. Only one constructive comment was given, only highlighting the work the ministry has done and stating that the commenter was "in awe".

1611449962161.png

Ministry of Foreign Affairs - 89.65%

Minister of Foreign Affairs Monkey - 86.21%

1611450255946.png

The other ministry in third place was the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, only receiving positive or neutral answers as well. Minister of Foreign Affairs Monkey did not satisfy two respondents, who, similar to most other unsatisfied citizens in this poll, did not voice their concerns in the comments. The ministry has largely been working in its usual manner, occasionally giving ambassador assignments and collaborating with other ministries. The same sentiment was voiced in the only comment on the ministry, evidently convening the thoughts of the general public on the ministry which caused it to be rated very highly.

The first five ministries, while ranked by the author, can be assigned to the same category, as the ERN and the ministries placed third are only divided by three positive responses, a rather insignificant gap for five ministries to fit in. As opposed to that, the gap between third and fourth place is nearly twenty percent, or five respondents, a relatively significant difference.

Ministry of Interior - 72.41%

Minister of Interior Vor - 72.41%

On place for there is again a tie between the Ministries of Interior and Culture, though the charts have two different stories to tell. The Ministry of Interior and Minister of Interior Vor return the exact same satisfaction rating barring minor differences. This term the ministry launched a game of Monopoly, designed to foster recruiting, and completed the Integration project known as "Success Stories" in collaboration with other ministries. However, the nominee was controversial from the start, and that fact, coupled with a population drop observed during the first half of the term, might have caused the above-average but moderate satisfaction rating and the highest dissatisfaction rating among all ministries (but not ministers), as well as the presence of "very unsatisfied" responses, unseen in charts of any other ministry. While the harshest critics remained silent, comments expressed concern with the population drop and confusion regarding the Monopoly game. In general, the comments were positive and described Monopoly as "cool" and praising the number of "activities for the whole family" as well as "Success Stories".

Ministry of Culture - 72.41%

Minister of Culture Lime - 51.72%

1611450216369.png

The other ministry in place four, the Ministry of Culture, received the same satisfaction rating as the Ministry of Interior but received more neutral and less negative responses. Strikingly, though, Minister of Culture Lime only received a fifty percent satisfaction rating, twenty percent less than his ministry, and received the highest dissatisfaction rating among his colleagues. Culture has been collaborating with Foreign Affairs for Region of the Week events, as well as hosting occasional games within Europeia, but its minister may not have had as much visibility as the public wanted him to, with many activities hosted by staff members rather than Lime, him doing most of his work behind the scenes. Whether this assessment is correct or not, it may explain the moderately high rating of the ministry and the aforementioned ministry-minister discrepancy. The comments are overwhelmingly negative, with only one declaring events "very successful, and very fun too". Among concerns are the lack of Weekend Game (WG) schedules, the minister not responding to oversight (which he since has), and the general concern about the minister's activity.

1611450152348.png

Ministry of Justice - 68.97%

Attorney General Lloenflys - 72.41%

1611449847861.png

The Ministry of Justice and Attorney General (AG) historically receive a high percentage of neutral and unsure responses, explained by its status as the behind-the-scenes ministry that depends on the Senate's activity, which was not particularly high in the previous term and caused a lack of laws being passed. The above-mentioned is the reason to judge the Ministry of Justice and AG by their dissatisfaction ratings, which are near zero percent for both, with the ministry returning one negative response and Attorney General Lloenflys receiving none. There is no point in delving into happenings in the ministry because they are limited to a single legislative assessment. Comments focused on the fact that there were no laws for the Ministry to review, one even, perhaps sarcastically, surprised that "we have a Ministry of Justice", and one expressing hope that "we'll see more with the new senate" and confident in Lloenflys' abilities.

1611449894957.png

Preferences for next term Cabinet

Respondents were asked who of the incumbent ministers they would like to see return and who else they want to see in Cabinet.

Incumbent Ministers

The results of this poll question are mostly in line with Ministry/Minister approval, the only exception being Xecrio and Seva rated a little lower in this chart than in questions about approval of them, while SkyGreen24 and Monkey exceed their approval ratings. This development can logically be explained by Ministries of Radio and World Assembly Affairs being regarded as easier ministries to manage than Ministries of Communications and Foreign Affairs. The poll does not bring good news to Lime, with only 24.1 percent of respondents supporting his return to the Cabinet next term.

Suggestions for Cabinet

Interior: Le Libertie (3), Monkey (2), Peeps, Vor, Kharn (1)
Communications: Maowi (2), Bronyleader, Monkey, Calvin, Istillian (1)
Culture: Baobab, Rotasu (3)
Radio: Xecrio, Kharn, UPC, Calvin Coolidge, Kuramia, Darkslayer (1)
Foreign Affairs: Monkey, Kuramia, Pichtonia, Peeps, SkyGreen24, Sopo, Malashaan, Istillian (1)
Attorney General: Malashaan, Darkslayer (1)
World Assembly Affairs: Maowi, UPC, Baobab, Seva (1)
Grand Admiral: Vor, Forilian, Istillian (1)
Unassigned: Calvin Coolidge (1)

Many people were mentioned when respondents were asked for their suggestions who should be in Cabinet next term, a total of 19. Of note is the prevalence of Culture deputies Baobab and Rotasu for the spot of the minister of culture, both of them mentioned three times, as well as former Minister of Interior Le Libertie receiving the support of three people to return to that position and former Minister of Communications Maowi seeing 2 people support her return. These names have often been suggested as nominees for their respective positions, and this poll is no exception. Not a lot of analysis is possible into this poll question, but it is worth noting that all people mentioned are well-known presences in the region and their respective ministries, except for perhaps Kharn in the Ministry of Interior.

Reelection Chances and Potential Candidates

In the final two questions, respondents were asked whether they would support President Pichtonia, who has teased a run for a second term, being reelected, and again asked to provide other possible presidential and vice-presidential candidates.

Pichtonia's Reelection

While many respondents are naturally yet undecided on the matter, the poll result certainly brings good news to Pichtonia: only three respondents are leaning against supporting him, nobody is strongly against, and nine respondents even strongly support his potential bid.

Suggestions for President and Vice President

President:
Darkslayer, Monkey (7)
Xecrio, Istillian (4)
Lloenflys, SkyGreen24 (3)
Lime (2)
Kazaman, GraVandius, Kuramia, Calvin Coolidge, N/A, Sopo, Maowi, Seva (1)
Vice President:
Xecrio, Seva (3)
Baobab, Bronyleader, Monkey, Calvin Coolidge, Vor, Ervald (2)
Rotasu, GraVandius, Forilian, Kazaman, Literally anyone, GrandfatherClock (GC), Darkslayer, Lime, Kuramia, N/A (1)

As shown by these suggestions, Darkslayer and Monkey seem to be citizens whose potential run for president is most popular, joined by Xecrio who received many mentions in both the president and vice president section. Darkslayer was briefly a candidate in the previous election but had to drop out, while Monkey has nearly constantly been in government positions since his time as second minister and vice president last summer. Xecrio has also long teased a presidential run and has amassed a substantial resume. Apart from these three, there are many other citizens whose running for president would be welcome, but next term they will be faced by strong opposition from Pichtonia should he choose to run again.

Last edited:
Nice analysis Seva. Not surprising to see these stellar ratings!

I really like your writing with this one, Seva. Very well done.

Happy about the numbers, that lets us head into the second half with a smile!

This was a great read, but are all of you saying you're happy about the numbers ignoring Lime's relatively bad approval rating? What's going on there?

This was a great read, but are all of you saying you're happy about the numbers ignoring Lime's relatively bad approval rating? What's going on there?
I did think that was an interesting outlier. Not a positive one, of course.

Part of the issue here, I think, is that the cultural activities of this term can't solely or even primarily be nailed down Culture and Lime this far. The ROTW events were and are primarily organized by our MoFA, here monkey, and of course we wouldn't have wanted Lime to simultaneously run a counter-program. Lime may have also made if harder for himself with some due to the oversight reaction. But I hope especially as we head into the second half with now EuroChoice and later Valentine's Day, headed by Culture, we'll see some change here.

I'm not in the chat so I can't speak for what Lime is or isn't doing there but I haven't seen them do much of anything outside of his now former speaker role which is why I voted neutral. Maybe there's stuff going on BTS I can't see, but I hope that Lime can pull something off this term as CM or else it's going to be a big step back for the office.

I did point out in the article that the Ministry itself is doing relatively well, at least above average, so I think Lime's ratings are a concern for Lime but not for anyone else (well it could potentially be for Pichto who did appoint him, and then the Senate who confirmed him). I personally voted Satisfied (I think) because I do see behind the scenes organisational stuff that Lime does, but for anyone who is not in Culture it might seem he's letting the deputies do all his job - though you could say I do the same given that I also delegate my duties. I think Lime's term could be compared to Monkey's in June/July but back then there was a highly successful Republic Day festival, and Monkey was more visible in general, plus he was also Second Minister

I mean the job of a Minister should be organising and managing, in theory they shouldn't actually be running activities themselves. However, I have run some WG and I have been doing a lot of the planning for EuroChoice, as well as scheduling behind the scenes. So personally I don't think these are particularly fair or accurate results based on my performance as Culture Minister. Are there areas which require improvement - absolutely. However, such high levels of disapproval seem unfairly high.

I mean the job of a Minister should be organising and managing, in theory they shouldn't actually be running activities themselves.

I think that's a perfectly legitimate style of leadership when it's possible. Depends highly on the region's active population and on available staff, of course.

I've seen a few people say that this is how it "should be," though, and I don't quite agree. I don't see what's bad or subpar about direct involvement from the Minister.

I mean the job of a Minister should be organising and managing, in theory they shouldn't actually be running activities themselves.

I think that's a perfectly legitimate style of leadership when it's possible. Depends highly on the region's active population and on available staff, of course.

I've seen a few people say that this is how it "should be," though, and I don't quite agree. I don't see what's bad or subpar about direct involvement from the Minister.
Yeah I agree, and whenever I do serve as Minister I do always engage in the "day to day activities" e.g. When I was MinComm I still wrote articles, and as Culture Minister I have still hosted WG. However, Minister's shouldn't be criticised for primarily doing organisational and managerial work which occurs behind the scenes, as that's their job.

Back