[Inside Government] July End of Term Split Executive Poll Analysis

July End of Term Split Executive Poll Analysis
Goodbye, Split Executive

Written by Karteria, Calvin Coolidge, and Astrellan

The last split Executive term is coming to a close as Europeia prepares for the new Presidential system. To gauge public opinion on the Executive, another end-of-term approval poll was conducted. 33 citizens participated in the July survey, or 32 percent of the citizenry, a marked increase from the 21 percent participation rate for the External Executive Approval Poll in June. This rate hike was the third in a row for Executive polls, external or otherwise.

In the final poll before the Executive split, the Branches and their leaders alike saw high ratings from the public.

Overall Satisfaction: Foreign Affairs Branch

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Foreign Affairs Branch this term?. Number of responses: 33 responses.
Kuramia has done well and CSP has picked up where DAX left off, but I wonder how sustainable that is given CSP's penchant for activity spurts. This term has been pretty lacklustre and quiet. Mal seems a bit disengaged.

Could have been better, but overall well

Mal was very quiet but Kura wasn't!

Malashaan isn't active but Kura, Peeps, and Maowi have been doing a lot.

Mal was quiet, but everything kept running smoothly, so I guess it's not a big deal.

Eh? Did anyone have their heart in it besides Meowie?

It's been great, maybe less visible than Domestic but still great

The Foreign Affairs branch received high approval ratings this month. A combined 87.8 percent of respondents approved of the branch’s conduct, and a majority overall selected the “satisfied” category. Some comments indicate a different sentiment; multiple respondents noted that the Chief of State Malashaan was “quiet” or the branch was “less visible than Domestic but still great.” These comments may reflect the difficulty of expressing the benefits of foreign outreach, in which the finer details are out of the public eye. Nevertheless, that public remains supportive.

Chief of State Malashaan

Forms response chart. Question title: How would you rate your approval of Chief of State Malashaan's performance this term?. Number of responses: 33 responses.
Malashaan is performing at his floor, which is relatively high.

This wasn't a strong term, there isn't really much to show for it.

While it would be nice to see more of Mal, he does still release fairy frequent updates.

Could have been more visible, but I suppose that's just the nature of the CoS

Got a treaty written and no FA catastrophes - what more do you want?

where did he go? other people are doing the heavy lifting

Basically invisible

I think Mal has done...fine. He does his perfunctory addresses every week, but don't feel like he's been public aside from that.

Chief of State Malashaan received decent satisfaction from the public at the end of their term; combined 60.6 percent of respondents approved of how Malashaan acted running the foreign affairs branch. The majority of criticism corresponded to comments on the foreign affairs branch in general, citing the lack of visibility. However, some comments indicate support for the stability the Chief of State provided, such as one note that said Malashaan “[g]ot a treaty written and no [Foreign Affairs] catastrophes - what more do you want?” Moreover, 18.2 percent of respondents indicated neutrality towards the Chief of State, furthering the idea that it is difficult to create outreach-benefit linkage in this area.

Vice Chief of State Kuramia

Forms response chart. Question title: How would you rate your approval of Vice Chief of State Kuramia's performance this term?. Number of responses: 33 responses.
She's online a lot but I honestly have no idea what she does in terms of workload.

Kuramia is good.

Can't not be satisfied

kura has been an absolute unit this term

Not a long period, everything was good

Constitutional requirement: Have a heartbeat. Check.

I think Kuramia has been doing a good job in FA, but no idea what she's been doing as Vice Chief of State.

78.8 percent of respondents indicated that they approve of Vice Chief of State Kuramia’s performance after they replaced Dax in the role, and a substantial number – 51.5 percent overall – said they strongly approve. Comments suggest that Kuramia was highly involved and online consistently to converse with constituents, though some indicate a lack of visibility for them in this role.

Foreign Affairs Councillor Kuramia

Forms response chart. Question title: How would you rate your approval of Foreign Affairs Councillor Kuramia's performance this term?. Number of responses: 33 responses.
She's doing an excellent job as CoFA.

Can't go wrong with Kuramia

Absolute Beast. Super lovely. Deserves a break but needs to come back and show everyone what's up.

ROTW is great

A whopping combined 96.9 percent of respondents approved or strongly approved of Councilor of Foreign Affairs Kuramia’s term, with only one citizen stating that they disapprove. This is the highest approval in the entire poll. The comments did not indicate any specific reasoning behind this wide swath of support, showing instead high personal approval. Kuramia also received high marks in the External Executive Approval Poll in June. This also continues the trend of deputy chief executives having higher approval in their ministerial role than their other role.

Grand Admiral Common-Sense Politics

Doing well and encouraging the growth of future military leaders.

Great raids

Great to see the ERN getting going again.

trying really hard, on the right path i think

Common-sense GA

With 69.7 percent approval, Grand Admiral Common-Sense Politics (CSP) has had a strong performance since taking over from Dax earlier in the term. All the comments indicate a positive view of CSP’s role, though almost one-quarter of all poll respondents indicated they did not know enough about his performance to rate it. This could show a lack of visibility from the Europeian Republican Navy or CSP’s role in managing it.

World Assembly Affairs Councilor Maowi

She is doing an excellent job as MoWAA. Ensures IVFs are always written well in advance, she's helped people with their drafts and the WA training course has been excellent so far.

WA getting everything done on time, WA 101 well.

love wa 101

She was incredible this term, WA really shone bright

81.8 percent of respondents approved of Councilor of World Assembly Affairs Maowi’s term, with a further 60.6 percent strongly approving, the second-highest in this poll. The comments mainly mention the WA 101 initiative, a training program for the World Assembly created by Maowi, which appears to be popular among respondents.

Coordination Councilor Peeps

If for nothing other than doing a great job with Region of the week, I approve.

Was an entirely unneeded role and achieved little.

RotW ended on a high note.

I was a skeptic but I thought this was enough of a success that I’m fine with it. Peeps did his best and I hope something like it continues into the fiture

i have been critical before but i think he finally got it right with the caer sidi region of the week

It went okay-ish, but it's really an unnecessary position.

ROTW us the nist visible achievement

This is one of those things where the less I hear about a particular Councilor, the better they are at their job. Really hard to judge.

There seemed to be some lack of the clear organisation with domestic ministers. One of the events was announced during a radio show, I'm unsure how much "coordination" took place there with the ministers there.

Councilor of Coordination Peeps received an approval rating of 60.6 percent from respondents, though he also has the highest percentage of “Strongly Disapprove” responses with 12.1 percent choosing that option. The comments mainly compliment Peeps’ effort in this role, though many also state that the role, in general, is “unneeded,” which could be the reason for the Strongly Disapprove responses. They also compliment the Region of the Week program.

Overall Satisfaction: Domestic Branch

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Domestic Branch this term?. Number of responses: 33 responses.
Lots of good performances from individual Ministers, not sure how much of that came from the top.

Great!!! McEntire and crew really shined out at us.

Tough circumstances with such a short term. They did well with the little time they had.

great job

Good term all around, especially Lloen as AG, he's a natural --

Short term but really efficient

With a nearly perfect satisfaction score of roughly 95 percent, and only one unsatisfied response, the domestic branch has found widespread approval this term, despite the shortened timeframe, and even outperforms the Foreign Affairs Branch. The comments indicate that respondents were impressed with the performance of the domestic branch in such a short term.

First Minister McEntire

He's doing a good job, but viability is an issue for him.

Great job. Well done McEntire

His presence was felt, oversaw everything

The trains do in fact run on time.

Fine. Nothing stellar, but also I don't think he really had the time to blow anyone away.

With 84.8 percent approval, and half of that being strong approval, it’s clear that First Minister McEntire’s first term has been well received by the region with the comments congratulating him on a job well done. They especially mentioned his visibility in his role. It’s not a surprise, then, that he finds himself as a solid contender to become the president in the next term.

Second Minister Monkey

Could have been there more, but it's mainly LoAs.

Diddy Kong is my favorite Nintendo character.

high energy, fun ideas

Showed more in Culture

Constitutional requirement: Have a heartbeat. Check.

Honestly not sure what he's doing as Second Minister, so giving him "approve" in this category but has been pretty public

With 69.7 percent approval, Second Minister Monkey’s performance was strong, but it seems to have suffered from a lack of clarity, with some of the comments saying they were unsure what he did in this role, but approved of his performance as Minister of Culture. This appears to be a trend for nearly all deputy executive positions, however, so Monkey’s ratings are not unique.

Culture Minister Monkey

He's done a good job. A different idea for festivals and it was executed well. Other plans such as Steam games also seem to be starting.

Again, could have done more. But it's mainly his LoAs.

Loved the Republic Day event

I was Supreme Emperor, of course I strongly approve

Here, Minister of Culture Monkey gets a higher approval of 87.9 percent in his ministerial role, and no disapproval, with the only other responses being from those who marked “Unsure/Don’t Know”. The comments compliment Monkey for his festivals and their execution, namely the Republic Day event which earned him praise for its unique take.

Communications Minister Astrellan

Regular content is coming out of the EBC and it's mostly interesting.

He's a very good MinComm. He still has stuff to learn but I think another term would have seen him excell in the role.

Siph has been great as MinComm, getting articles out constantly

Good to see dispatches make a comeback.

Done amazingly well in such a short term

shame he doesn't want the job again

Many articles

94 percent of respondents approved of Minister of Communications Astrellan’s performance this term, the highest approval for a domestic minister in this poll. Comments draw attention to the success of the dispatch program and regular Europeian Broadcasting Corporation content and articles.

Interior Minister South Eastern Centralia

We're still not really doing anything on the integration side. It's hard to tell if this is a product of the short term, McEntire himself, or a greenhorn minister.

Recruitment is going well and the competition is an interesting one. The handbook has been updated and there has definitely been some outreach conducted gameside.

Shone out at me. Did a lot this term for sure

good work, i'd like to see more on the integration side though

Perfect term, everything was done

The poll lists a 78.8 percent approval for Minister of Interior South Eastern Centralia in his first-ever Minister term, with the comments being split between congratulating him on a job well done on the recruitment competition as well as other projects, and being unsure what he did for integration.

Radio Minister Darkslayer

Radio is super strong right now. A little cliquey, but strong.

Radio is continuing on its solid run and Darkslayer is a good manager.

Radio continues the Calvin-era boom

radio still crushing

Continued Calvin's success

Not enough content.

Earning 91.9 percent approval, with over 50 percent strong approval, Minister of Radio Darkslayer earns rave reviews in the comments for his first-ever Minister term, with most praising the consistent output this term. They also applaud him for continuing the strong performance of the ministry from previous terms.

Attorney General Lloenflys

Everything is going smoothly and he's been visable in the role.

He dealt with two big things (at least) in his first week. Poor birb! But he dealt with it well and LAs are out on time, so no complaints! Go on birb <3

probably good i think

Always punctual and accountable

With 78.8 percent approval, including 51.5 percent strong approval, Attorney General Lloenflys has a lot of support from respondents, with the comments pointing to his timeliness and accountability. It’s clear that Lloenflys has many in his corner, and it’s no surprise he’s also a strong contender to become president in the next term.

Who Would You Like to See in the Next Cabinet?

Peeps, Istillian, Calvin, Lloenflys, Deepest House, CSP, Darkslayer

Culture - Monkey, Forilian, UV Interior - Seva, Lime, SEC, Comms - Lime Radio - Darkslayer WAA - Maowi, Ervald FA - Maowi, Pichto GA - Peeps, Istilian

Mainly our current ministers. But I think Peeps would do a great job in Interior. Elias could be an interesting choice for WAA.

Peeps - GA, Istillian - FA

GraV:Interior, Dark:Radio, Monkey:GA,

Everyone in the same position domestically.

too many to list!!

Maowi - WA, SEC - Interior, UV - Culture, Peeps - GA, Dark - Radio or AG, Forilian - Comms, Pichto - FA

Darkslayer: Radio, SEC: Interior, Maowi: Communications

Following the trend from the last Domestic Executive poll, newer or returning players are favoured in this section. Respondents seem to approve of the current makeup of the Cabinet.

Mentioned, not assigned - Peeps, Istilian, Calvin, Lloenflys, Deepest House, CSP, Darkslayer

Communications - Forilian (1), Lime (1), Maowi (1)
Culture - UV (2), Monkey (1), Forilian (1)
Foreign Affairs - Pichtonia (2), Maowi (1), Istilian (1)
GA - Peeps (2), Monkey (1), Istilian (1)
Interior - SEC (3), Peeps (1), Seva (1), Lime (1), GraV (1)
Radio - Darkslayer (4),
World Assembly Affairs - Maowi (2), Elias (1), Ervald (1)

Would you prefer to know a President’s Cabinet Nominees before voting for them?

No comments. Great term, and here's to a continually active Europeia! :D

Encourages transparency

Being able to pick a good team is the mark of a good leader. Attracting good talent is the mark of a good leader. I'm surprised that we don't expect to know these things of our potential leaders.

You either trust the judgment of the nominee or you don't - I don't like forcing the disclosure of picks in advance, I think it skews the selection process. Let the race play out naturally.

For this question, we see that the respondents are split pretty evenly between “Yes” (39.4 percent) and “No” (36.4 percent), with a sizable portion being indifferent. This shows no clear majority consensus from respondents. One comment states that “being able to pick a good team is the mark of a good leader” and supports releasing cabinet nominees, while another clashes with it, stating that “you either trust the judgment of the nominee or you don't” and wishes the “race [to] play out naturally.”

Thank you for the analysis to all those who worked on it. I'm really glad we have such a regular polling, it's interesting to follow the changes.

I imagined a few individual results would be better, but otherwise I think these are pretty good results for the Executive and not very suprising insofar as that I also wouldn't have noticed wider dissatisfaction with the (/either) Executive.

I love all these visibility complaints with Mal. He's posted the most updates of any Chief of State (his words), and he's around, but because he doesn't shit-post in EuroChat that means he's not around enough? :rolleyes:

I know Mal has done a lot of work. He's worked hard, and a lot has been done. Simply, because he doesn't speak on discord as much - he's not seen as entirely visible, by some. The work and contributions he did this term exceed far more than the importance of talking in Eurochat. Well done to everyone though who have served during this term.

I love all these visibility complaints with Mal. He's posted the most updates of any Chief of State (his words), and he's around, but because he doesn't shit-post in EuroChat that means he's not around enough? :rolleyes:
I know Mal has done a lot of work. He's worked hard, and a lot has been done. Simply, because he doesn't speak on discord as much - he's not seen as entirely visible, by some. The work and contributions he did this term exceed far more than the importance of talking in Eurochat. Well done to everyone though who have served during this term.
Couldn't agree more. Mal's done amazingly well, and the amount of time he's put into the term is incredible. I feel like this could be indicative of a worrying reliance on Discord and general social presence when deciding the approval of an official. Though visibility is always nice, his updates have been more than sufficient for me, and has outpaced many terms previous too.

Mal has done absolutely amazing, and I will also push back on:

Comment said:
This wasn't a strong term, there isn't really much to show for it.

I can't list everything we have done but here are a couple of things,
Region of the Week created
Two treaties ratified
WA 101
Lots of foreign updates as well as the contest that created corgi flower

Honestly I don't know where all of this visibility stuff came from, as many others have said Mal has been a very visible CoS.

Not being visible is not a problem. Not being active is. Mal has done a lot this term, regardless of their visibility on discord, and we've seen in the updates what was done, so regardless of discord sociability, great term.
This being said, I wouldn't say it's worrying that people are more on discord. Both discord and the forums have their positive sides, and it's good that both are active. Take the WA 101 that would be hard on discord, but also all eurochat discussions that are not suited for the forums. We might rely more heavily on one or the other, but that's not a negative thing.

In general, great poll analysis!

Thanks for the comments of support. The comments about visibility were a surprise to me too. I thought we'd done a pretty good job as a team (meaning the Council of State as a whole) of communicating what we were working on and what we'd achieved. I know a skipped a few weekly updates but that was mostly because the main events of the week has already been announced elsewhere.

Ultimately, if the most visibility was on the councilors and their amazing efforts are appreciated, I'll take that. Someone I respect greatly once told me that good leadership is about letting those you manage take credit for their good work and taking responsibility when things go wrong. I approach every management role I take on in both nationstates and real life with that mindset.

Couldn't agree more. Mal's done amazingly well, and the amount of time he's put into the term is incredible. I feel like this could be indicative of a worrying reliance on Discord and general social presence when deciding the approval of an official. Though visibility is always nice, his updates have been more than sufficient for me, and has outpaced many terms previous too.
Emphasis mine. We've been talking about this being a problem for literal years.

Low information voters/commentators will rely on Discord. It's not unique to us. They remind me a lot of those guys you went to high school with who "do their own research" and say "sheople" a lot.

At the risk of accidentally endorsing Mal, this has definitely been one of the more productive CoS terms.

However, I think it's natural for people to want to feel like they know their candidate/leaders in a small community like ours, which is why social presence has become more important. It was a lot easier to manage that when social presence was more about the forum or answering DMs on Skype versus participating in a giant centralized chat. We have a small but not insignificant number of people who primarily exist in #eurochat, for better or for worse.

Back