[Inside Government] July 2021 End-of-Term Executive Poll Results and Analysis

July 2021 End-of-Term Executive Poll Results and Analysis
How Has the Executive Fared Over the Past Term?

Written by GrandfatherClock

As the end of the executive term approaches and elections are once again held, the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) polled the region on the executive's performance this term. This poll opened on July 2 and was open for a little over 48 hours, closing on July 4. It garnered 26 responses, a slight drop from the midterm poll, but the end-of-term poll was open for a shorter amount of time.

President, Vice President, and Executive Satisfaction

Executive Satisfaction - 57.7%

The overall satisfaction remains the same from the midterm—57.6% compared to 57.7%—but there are fewer 'very satisfied' respondents this time, at only 19.2%. The comments follow two main themes. Some mention the executive being strong, with lots of activity in some areas of government, while others note that some areas certainly were "bright spots" but other areas were "sluggish" and "course corrections weren't made".

President Kazaman - 38.4%

Kazaman's approval rating has changed considerably since the midterm poll, falling from 51.5% to 38.4% and nearly 20 points below the overall executive rating. In the midterm poll, Kazaman received more 'very dissatisfied' ratings, where at the end of the term, he received a plurality of 'dissatisfied' responses. This comes after the Senate's report on the scandal surrounding the Europeian Republican Navy (ERN) that broke when the midterm poll was still open. Interestingly, the comments on the president's performance were mostly positive, saying that he "beat [their] expectations" and "he contributes greatly to his ministries". Although, in line with the overall executive comments, some are concerned about the activity in certain ministries: "I feel Kaz has missed some opportunities to boost the ministers with more direction[.]"

Vice President UPC - 69.3%

Contrary to Kazaman, UPC's satisfaction numbers have improved since midterm, up 8 points and change from 60.6%. Visibility continues to plague the vice-presidential position in the comments, with 3 of 5 comments mentioning something about it, though it seems not to have hampered UPC's overall satisfaction or 'very satisfied' responses. One of those comments, though, went on to say, "[...] That didn't stop UPC from excelling[,]" which follows another comment, being "satisfied with the work UPC has done", a part of which were the updated dispatches mentioned in yet another comment.

Ministry and Minister Satisfaction

Ministry of Communications - 57.7%
Minister of Communications Lime - 61.5%

The performance rating of the Ministry of Communications has remained relatively unchanged since the midterm poll, although the satisfaction of the general ministry has decreased a bit, by 3 points. Once again, comments are split on whether the amount of articles has been satisfactory: "I dunno, I felt like the number and variety of articles in the EBC was pretty desultory overall this term[,]" compared with another commenter who states, "Things ran smoothly this term, both due to staff and minister[.]" It seems that most of the criticism in comments from the midterm poll has remained, though balanced out by more supportive comments in this poll.

Ministry of Culture - 61.6%
Minister of Culture Rotasu - 69.2%

Despite culture's apparent activity problems this term, the ministry still receives a decent satisfaction rating from the respondents. EuroPride was an event that strongly defined culture's work this term, and featured in many of the comments: "They did good with EuroPride", among others. However, two comments that mentioned EuroPride also voiced that it appeared that nothing much else had gone on in culture for the term, which Rotasu addressed in a Grand Hall thread. Indeed, one comment mentioned that it might be "a hard time of year", and another focused more on the effort of the minister themselves: "Despite that little setback at the start, Rotasu shined as MinCult." Overall, the comments seem to be understanding of the challenges Rotasu has faced in their role and give good satisfaction ratings in spite of those challenges.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs - 57.7%
Minister of Foreign Affairs Peeps - 53.9%

Both the minister and Ministry of Foreign Affairs see a drop in satisfaction from midterm, from 63.7% for the ministry and 57.6% for Peeps. In comparison to a lot of the ministries, the comments on the minister and ministry are broadly united. They all seem to be lukewarm on the performance of the ministry, and some mention a lack of communication or visibility, though things were still happening, as evidenced by the treaty in the Senate. Indeed, the treaty seems to have come as a surprise to some Senators, who were unaware closer relations with Thaecia were actively being pursued at the time.

Ministry of Interior - 77.0%
Minister of Interior GrandfatherClock - 84.6%

Interior and its minister, receiving high satisfaction ratings in the midterm, improved on those numbers by 1 point for the ministry and 3 points for the minister. Interestingly, the ministry now received one 'very dissatisfied' response, perhaps fallout from a reversing population climb. All the comments were positive, all writing something along the lines of "MinInt appears to be fun and happening".

Ministry of Justice - 53.9%
Attorney General Malashaan - 65.3%

Both the Ministry of Justice and Attorney General Malashaan saw their satisfaction ratings decline from midterm, but while the Attorney General's drop of a point is almost insignificant, the ministry itself dropped 13 points, from 66.7%. From the few comments for this question, the respondents do not seem to be blaming Malashaan, instead saying, "Mal has tried :([,]" or that it had gone how they expected. One comment, though, pointed out that legislative assessments are coming late, or not at all. However, the only apparent instance of this was the legislative assessment for the Honoured Expansion Act (2021), which was a day late due to a scheduling error.

Europeian Republican Navy - 80.8%
Grand Admiral UPC - 65.4%

While the Europeian Republican Navy (ERN) improved its satisfaction ratings by 2 points exactly, the position of Grand Admiral fell more than 22 points in its satisfaction rating (from 87.9%). Despite the changeover halfway through the term, and the controversy surrounding Dakota's dismissal from the ERN, the comments are largely supportive of the new Grand Admiral, saying, "[He] did well filling the shoes unexpectedly," and, "[He] did a very good job taking over and inspires activity and worth in the Navy." "It's been good to see the ERN diversifying their skillset, even if a lot of activity has been with holds recently[,]" writes another respondent, supportive of the direction the ERN has been going.

Ministry of Radio - 42.3%
Minister of Radio SkyGreen24 - 46.2%

Radio is another ministry where activity has been struggling this term, and satisfaction ratings have remained below 50% since midterm. The minister and ministry approval, though, has switched since midterm, from 48.5% for the ministry and 42.5% for the minister. Certainly, the comments reflected the activity concerns, but some also wondered whether it was due to generally low activity rather than the minister themselves: "[...] I don't know if that was really Sky's fault or just having a period with very little no people being interested to come on[.]"

Ministry of World Assembly Affairs - 84.7%
Minister of World Assembly Affairs Pland Adanna - 84.7%

Both the satisfaction ratings and comments agree: this was a great term from the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs, and people are "looking forward to seeing [Pland Adanna] more in the executive". Satisfaction with the ministry and minister improved from 75.8% and 78.8% at midterm, respectively. "[...] Pland seems to be pretty active and solid in this role[,]" writes another comment, supportive of both the work and the activity of the ministry.

Gameside Coordinator Le Libertie - 76.9%

The gameside coordinator sports the highest 'very satisfied' response percentage, at 53.8%. More importantly, the satisfaction rating for this position has increased from 66.6% at midterm, indicating perhaps that many worries about the usefulness of the position have been allayed. Comments on the midterm poll like, "Unsure what's happening with this position[,]" have turned into, "LL has been very active on the gameside of Europeia and I believe that helps with retention[.]" "Though only intended as a single-term position, LL did a fantastic job[,]" adds another commenter, which is important in respect to the next question, about whether the position should return next term.

Next Term's Cabinet

Should the Gameside Coordinator return next term?

For a position that made many unsure at the beginning of the term, all the way through to the middle of the term, a plurality of respondents would support the position coming back, and a majority would not be opposed to it. Given Le Libertie's high approval ratings, it may be that they want to see Le Libertie shine in the role like he has so far, completing projects such as the updated dispatches.

Five cabinet ministers received a 50% or more of respondents supporting them returning to cabinet next term: GrandfatherClock (88.5%), Pland Adanna (76.9%), Le Libertie (69.2%), UPC (57.7%), and Rotasu (50%). Lime, Peeps and SkyGreen24 all received fewer than 10 people supporting their return, and only one person voted to not have any current ministers return, a decline from midterm's three—perhaps a sign that the latter half of the term has been better for ministers.

Interior: Monkey (2)

Culture: Lime (2), Icarus (1), Baobab (1)
Radio: Darkslayer (2), Xecrio (1), Lime (1), GrandfatherClock (1), Icarus (1)
Communications: Pland Adanna (1), SkyGreen24 (1), GrandfatherClock (1)
Foreign Affairs: None.
Justice: Darkslayer (1)
World Assembly Affairs: Seva (1)
Europeian Republican Navy (Grand Admiral): Vor (2), Istillian (1), GrandfatherClock (1)

12 players were named in this section, and the Ministry of Radio received 5 suggestions, the most of any ministry. Three people tied for the most suggestions: Darkslayer, Lime, and GrandfatherClock both received three recommendations each. While at midterm, justice received no suggestions, this time it was foreign affairs where there were none, leaving that position open to speculation.

These results surprise me slightly. I've expected a low approval for Kaz, but perhaps not that low. Such a dramatic decease in approval may indicate that the public don't feel that the President has made much improvement on their first term mistakes. It may also point to the upcoming election, will these low numbers significantly hinder Kazaman's chances of reelection.

In relation to the ministries, my personal view is that this term was meh. Not good, not bad, just okay. I feel like not much has happened in any of the ministries that would live up to the expectations that I had from Kazaman's platform. I hope that whoever is elected next will live up to such expectations and produce more than just the status quo.

Lastly, I'm surprised no one had any recommendations for MoFA? Surely people like Kuramia, Sopo, possibly even Darkslayer would be good fits for that position. Are we waiting for someone new to take this position? Or is FA in more trouble than we think.

These results surprise me slightly. I've expected a low approval for Kaz, but perhaps not that low. Such a dramatic decease in approval may indicate that the public don't feel that the President has made much improvement on their first term mistakes. It may also point to the upcoming election, will these low numbers significantly hinder Kazaman's chances of reelection.

In relation to the ministries, my personal view is that this term was meh. Not good, not bad, just okay. I feel like not much has happened in any of the ministries that would live up to the expectations that I had from Kazaman's platform. I hope that whoever is elected next will live up to such expectations and produce more than just the status quo.

Lastly, I'm surprised no one had any recommendations for MoFA? Surely people like Kuramia, Sopo, possibly even Darkslayer would be good fits for that position. Are we waiting for someone new to take this position? Or is FA in more trouble than we think.

FA has many available candidates and an active base of staff, doesn't belong in the same camp as Culture or Justice at all. Doesn't explain why nobody made suggestions, but maybe they felt the choices were too obvious to bother. I can think of a handful of people who have never held the role that are deserving, though.

While I certainly have some issues with this administration (mostly around the Dakota issue, but obviously it's hard to really judge given the situation), and I knew to expect low numbers based on previous polling, it really is quite surprising to me that people are so hard against him. This term has really overall seemed quite a good one to me.

Nice article, gc! The negativity does seem excessive, but I think there were some interesting comments in there. Also very-well written, as you always do.

Certainly no issues with his conduct as Minister
Is this in relation to my work as radio staff? Or is that related to the joke campaign? If it's the former I'm curious what the issue was, if it's the latter, oh well.

While I certainly have some issues with this administration (mostly around the Dakota issue, but obviously it's hard to really judge given the situation), and I knew to expect low numbers based on previous polling, it really is quite surprising to me that people are so hard against him. This term has really overall seemed quite a good one to me.
I mean, I think I'm in a similar camp as some others have indicated; this term was "meh" but the expectations were much higher. I personally voted for Kaz expecting some big changes or at least some substantive changes now that would come to fruition fully next term, but I've seen nothing really indicating that.

I mean, I think I'm in a similar camp as some others have indicated; this term was "meh" but the expectations were much higher. I personally voted for Kaz expecting some big changes or at least some substantive changes now that would come to fruition fully next term, but I've seen nothing really indicating that.
Have expectations of BIG changes from a president ever really born out though?

The only presidents who have achieved big changes were the ones that resigned or were banned. /s

in all seriousness, I think presidents who promised big changes managed to achieve *some* of their proposed big changes but not all of their big proposals. Some people see that as a failure on their part, other see it as a natural consequence of an ambitious platform and laud the big changes they *were* able to get done regardless.

Maybe, maybe not. It felt a bit different coming into the term though, for whatever that's worth.

Back