[Inside Government] End of Term Senate Satisfaction Poll Analysis

End of Term Senate Satisfaction Poll Analysis
Results and Analysis

Written by Giovanniland

Just before standing opened for the June 2021 general election, the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) conducted a poll asking citizens about their opinions on the 78th Senate's performance throughout the term. The EBC did not conduct a poll at the end of the 77th Senate's term. Instead, The Europeian Citizen, a private outlet, published its own poll analysis written by Common-Sense Politics (CSP) after its poll received 25 responses. This poll was open from April 29 to June 1 and earned 23 responses, two less than the previous private one.

This was an unusual term for the Senate, with a discussion in the Grand Hall over concerns of activity ending up triggering referenda to recall all senators, causing the removal of former Senator GraVandius from office and the resignation of former Senator CSP. Senators HEM and Calvin Coolidge were then elected in two separate by-elections, and this poll asked for comments on both of their performances, along with those of the three other senators who served a full term. Read more about them below!

Overall Satisfaction

Overall Senate - 60.9%

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Senate as a whole?. Number of responses: 23 responses.
The beginning of the term was very rough but they have turned it around.
Besides the whole inactivity issue that nearly got all senators removed, it's been okay
Not good, not bad
Good activity in the end there
Slow (as had been a major issue) but I think it's recovered well and has had more activity in the latter half.
Reasonably active, I suppose
Get more bills in so that they pass

The overall Senate earned a satisfaction rating of 60.9%, which is nearly 20 less points in comparison to the result of 80% in CSP's Smokin' Poll. It's worth noting that nearly all of these responses were just satisfied, with only two of them stating they were very satisfied with the Senate's performance. Furthermore, there were five neutral responses, two dissatisfied ones, and another two very dissatisfied ones. The comments support these numbers, with several of them mentioning the rough beginning of the term and the later recovery. Some were supportive, such as one commenter who supposed the Senate was "reasonably active" and another saying that it had "good activity in the end there." Others were more neutral, for example one respondent who thought the term wasn't either good nor bad. These numbers and answers means that the overall Europeian citizenry may not be very fond of the 78th Senate and might vote for other people in this upcoming election.

Individual Senator Satisfaction

In this part of the poll, the senators were listed in descending order of performance and alphabetically when ties occurred.

Senator Calvin Coolidge - 73.9%

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Senator Calvin Coolidge?. Number of responses: 23 responses.
Engages in debates and works hard. It's good to see him back in the Senate.
Calvin was thoughtful and contributed whenever he spoke, as always
Keep up the great work
Relevant and cool-headed

Senator Calvin Coolidge was one of three Senators who all shared a satisfaction rating of 73.9%, the highest of this poll. Seven respondents were very satisfied with Calvin's performance, while another ten were satisfied. There were four people neutral in regards to his performance, one dissatisfied and another very dissatisfied. However, none of them voiced their concerns in the comments, as all four respondents who commented were supportive of Calvin's actions. One of them stated that "Calvin was thoughtful and contributed whenever he spoke, as always," while another one remarked that Calvin "engages in debates and works hard" and was grateful for his presence in the 78th Senate. Therefore, the general populace seems to be pleased with Calvin's performance this term.

Senator HEM - 73.9%

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Senator HEM?. Number of responses: 23 responses.
Great to see HEM back in the Senate. Although he has missed some votes, he does engage and posit some good thoughts to consider.
Seemed a bit inactive at times
HEM is obviously busy outside of the Senate as well but did well overall
Keep up the great work
The old bin's still got his senses

Senator HEM shares the same satisfaction rating of 73.9% with Senator Calvin Coolidge, although fewer respondents were very satisfied, and more were dissatisfied with HEM's performance compared to that of his colleague. A total of six people were dissatisfied, including one that chose the "Very Dissatisfied" option, and there were no neutral responses. The comments may help to explain this, with one of them responding that HEM "seemed a bit inactive at times" and another one noting that HEM missed some votes, despite also stating that it was "great to see HEM back in the Senate." The other comments were supportive, coming to a possible conclusion that the citizenry is mostly satisfied, but there is room for improvement.

Senator Malashaan - 73.9%

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Senator Malashaan?. Number of responses: 23 responses.
Inactive at the start; picked up in the latter half, but that's not enough to merit the mistake from an experienced Senator at the start of the term.
Mal is great as always
Keep up the great work
I was happy Mal survived the recall; stepped up his game in the second half

Senator Malashaan is the other Senator who also reached a satisfaction rating of 73.9%. However, only four respondents were very satisfied, and the other 13 were just satisfied. The other opinions about Malashaan's performance were mostly neutral, with only one very dissatisfied, and another who was unsure. The comments reflect those numbers, with two of them supportive of Malashaan's actions, and another one stating that they were "happy Mal survived the recall; stepped up his game in the second half." The other comment remarked that Malashaan was "inactive at the start; picked up in the latter half, but that's not enough to merit the mistake from an experienced Senator at the start of the term," which may help explain the neutral and dissatisfied opinions.

Senator Sanjurika - 65.2%

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Senator Sanjurika?. Number of responses: 23 responses.
Unsure if they're busy IRL at times and they tend to get caught up with some Senate work. But seems posting in the republic square is more important than actively posting in the Senate.
Will probably improve with another term.
Sanju has been great
Excellent first term for Sanjurika, hope to see them in the Senate again
Be more active and be more comfortable
It's not just newcomer luck: Sanjurika proved his worth.

Senator Sanjurika, the only newcomer to the Senate this term, attained a satisfaction rating of 65.2%, which is only two fewer satisfied answers than the rating earned by three other Senators. Despite that fact, Sanjurika interestingly earned the most "Very Satisfied" answers of any Senator, with nine of those, and another six respondents who were simply satisfied with his performance. Six opinions were neutral, and the other two were dissatisfied. The comments were mixed, with one person remarking that it was an "excellent first term for Sanjurika" and that they "hope to see them in the Senate again," while another replied that "it's not just newcomer luck: Sanjurika proved his worth." However, some comments criticized his performance, such as one respondent who stated it seemed that "posting in the republic square is more important than actively posting in the Senate" for Sanjurika. Finally, another commenter offered the advice of "be more active and be more comfortable" to the Senator.

Senate Speaker Forilian - 56.5%

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Senate Speaker Forilian?. Number of responses: 23 responses.
Very chaotic over the scheduling of the nominees; seems too cautious at times, and their arguments tend not to make sense at times. He does an okayish job, somewhat as a Senator, but as a Speaker, no.
It was a mistake to give Forilian the powers of the Speaker. He does not know how to use them and it has led to a lot of unfortunate circumstances that have embarrassed the Senate.
Fori's been good at moving things along
Fori did a fine job this term
Have more bills passed
Forilian knocked it out of the park

Senate Speaker Forilian had the lowest satisfaction rating out of the five incumbent Senators, with only 56.5% of respondents being either satisfied or very satisfied with his performance. Four of these people chose the "Very Satisfied" option, while the other nine preferred to choose "Satisfied." The other ten respondents were divided between the three other main options: three were neutral, four were dissatisfied, and three were very dissatisfied, also giving Forilian the highest dissatisfaction rating. Comments were mixed just like the ones for other Senators. Some of them were positive, answering that Forilian "knocked it out of the park" and "did a fine job this term." However, a significant minority was negative, such as one commenter who argued that "it was a mistake to give Forilian the powers of the Speaker," and another who noted Forilian was "very chaotic over the scheduling of the nominees." It can be concluded that Forilian may need to improve on some aspects if elected to the Senate again in the future.

Other Questions

Senator Picks for Next Term

Forms response chart. Question title: Which current Senators would you vote to re-elect? Check all that apply.. Number of responses: 23 responses.
GC, Lloenflys, Darcness, Prim, Darkslayer, Drecq.
Seva, SkyGreen24, Pland Adanna, Lloenflys
Pland Adanna, Lloenflys
Sanjurika hopefully for a better term for them to experience. Prim, Pland Adanna, Dark, Lloenflys, GC, Istillian
GC
More democratic senators
Darkslayer, Grandfather Clock, Seva, Kylia, Lloenflys
Monkey

After the part of the poll reserved for satisfaction questions, respondents were also asked to give their opinions on some other topics, mainly related to the upcoming 79th Senate. Two were related to opinions on who should be elected for the next Senate: the first question about whether any incumbent should be re-elected, and the second about which other people they would be interested to see in the next Senate. Regarding the incumbent Senators, Sanjurika (15) and Malashaan (14) had the most support to return, with over half of all respondents stating they would like to see them in the Senate again. The other three Senators HEM (11), Forilian (10) and Calvin Coolidge (8) also had a fair amount of support, but none surpassed 50% of respondents. Furthermore, it is worth noting two people stated that they would vote for none of the incumbent senators in the upcoming election. As for other people, there was a fair amount of different mentions, with names such as GrandfatherClock and Lloenflys mentioned several times. The full list can be seen below, ordered by how many people mentioned someone:

Five mentions: Lloenflys
Four mentions: GrandfatherClock,
Three mentions: Darkslayer, Pland Adanna
Two mentions: Prim, Seva
One mention: Darcness, Drecq, Istillian, Kylia, Monkey, SkyGreen24

Senate Speaker Picks for Next Term

If Lloen or Darkslayer ran, either of them.
Lloenflys
Malashaan
Prim, Dark
Drecq
Idk for sure
Darkslayer

The EBC also asked respondents to comment on which people they would like to see as the Speaker of the 79th Senate, even though the position is not elected popularly but rather decided by the Senators themselves once they are elected. Lloenflys and Darkslayer were mentioned most often, with three mentions each. Drecq, Malashaan and Prim also got one mention each, and one commenter was unsure.

Pressing Issues for the Next Senate

GOTV (2)
The AO on "majority" -- nothing has been addressed regarding the decision there. Visiting the Speaker's powers, too.
Ensuring that all senators remain active and dont meet a threshold for inactive removal. Very bad job guys to fall below that standard.
Prison
The refuge crisis

Finally, the last question of the poll regarded what respondents thought could be the most important issue(s) that the members of the 79th Senate should solve during their terms. The Get Out The Vote (GOTV) controversy was mentioned most often, with two comments mentioning it as an important issue. This lines up with recent discussions over this issue and President Kazaman's statement addressing a variety of topics including GOTV. Among the other issues mentioned were the Advisory Opinion on the definition of majorities in the Senate, about which one commenter mentioned "nothing has been addressed regarding the decision there [...]." Other comments concerned the Senate Speaker's powers, and the activity of Senators.

Last edited:
Unsure if they're busy IRL at times and they tend to get caught up with some Senate work. But seems posting in the republic square is more important than actively posting in the Senate.
Just wanted to address this quickly since this is something I've thought about too when looking back at my posts. Most of the day, I have the forums in the background as I work and when I get home, I devote time to thinking about and posting on Senate topics. The RS posts are when I have short breaks to do some shitposting, but don't necessarily have enough time to write a thought out response to discussion in Senate. I'm sorry if it seems like I neglect the Senate because of that, but I think I put a lot more work into a quality response than a post that I think about for all of 10 seconds in the RS.

If you think differently, that's ok. I just wanted to address this since it's certainly a valid concern.

Just wanted to address this quickly since this is something I've thought about too when looking back at my posts. Most of the day, I have the forums in the background as I work and when I get home, I devote time to thinking about and posting on Senate topics. The RS posts are when I have short breaks to do some shitposting, but don't necessarily have enough time to write a thought out response to discussion in Senate. I'm sorry if it seems like I neglect the Senate because of that, but I think I put a lot more work into a quality response than a post that I think about for all of 10 seconds in the RS.

If you think differently, that's ok. I just wanted to address this since it's certainly a valid concern.
Big thing to take away from polls, while it may seem like a legit concern, in the grand scheme of things this little comment isn't. It's best to look at overall ratings. It's okay to take away some from comments but ignore the rest. Like this comment? I'd ignore it.

Interesting analysis and honestly some better overall numbers than I thought

Excellent poll and analysis, Gio! Well done

Wow! The re-election numbers were pretty spot-on for HEM and Sanjurika but Calvin significantly over-performed. I wonder why that was.
Polling samples are not fully representative of the whole electorate, our polls can be a moving target sometimes and really only capture the most active among citizens. Seems like Calvin's supporters may be less likely to take the polls, perhaps? Or Calvin's platform or discussion shifted his support between the poll and the election?

Wow! The re-election numbers were pretty spot-on for HEM and Sanjurika but Calvin significantly over-performed. I wonder why that was.
I think the disparity between Calvin's approval and his reelection chances was interesting in the first place. I'm not sure if I've ever seen more than half of voters approve of someone's performance while also indicating that they were leaning against reelecting that same person.

I think the disparity between Calvin's approval and his reelection chances was interesting in the first place. I'm not sure if I've ever seen more than half of voters approve of someone's performance while also indicating that they were leaning against reelecting that same person.
I haven't either. It sends a pretty confusing message to me as a Senator that somehow I was among the top performers in the last Senate, but most people would not have preferred I sought another term. Perhaps it's a nod that they want a changing of the guard, regardless of the "old guard's" performance, or perhaps it's personal distaste towards me, but I feel like there's nothing I can really do about any of that if I want to continue serving in this region except keep doing my best, and just hope for the best.

I haven't either. It sends a pretty confusing message to me as a Senator that somehow I was among the top performers in the last Senate, but most people would not have preferred I sought another term. Perhaps it's a nod that they want a changing of the guard, regardless of the "old guard's" performance, or perhaps it's personal distaste towards me, but I feel like there's nothing I can really do about any of that if I want to continue serving in this region except keep doing my best, and just hope for the best.

Maybe they want to see ... *President Panda*

I know it's a terrible comparison but it's the best I can think of right now. I would imagine Onder would receive very high marks for competence and ability if we polled the region, but I also have a feeling that we'd see a significant number who would be in favour of not re-appointing him to the court because they want to see other people "have their turn" instead. I'm assuming the same thing is happening here with Calvin in that while people are happy with his performance, they're also looking at other options they might want to try.

Back