[Inside Government] End-of-term Senate Satisfaction Poll Analysis

End-of-term Senate Satisfaction Polling Analysis
An analysis into the Senate end-of-term satisfaction poll

Written by Forilian

The Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) ran a poll on Senate satisfaction from 19 to 21 August. There were 21 respondents, 4 fewer than when a similar poll was run in late July.

Overall Satisfaction
The overall satisfaction with the Senate has recovered from its low of 44 percent in the midterm poll: satisfaction with the Senate now sits at 57.2 percent, however still significantly lower than the last Senate, which polled at 76 percent at the end of the term. The many controversies that this Senate term faced certainly did not endear it to the public, who noted that "[this Senate term was] just one disaster after another," and that "this term was... not quiet at all." However, the end of the term saw relatively lower activity from the Senate, which may have won back some support from the public, as some comments suggest.

Messy at time but it still got plenty done.
When they were active, they did terrible things. Their best performance was the end of the term when everyone disappeared.
Thank gods for Mal!
Well, the VP requirement is finally over, and I now like this Senate. Actually many bills and was quite productive
Just one disaster after another. The senate saw fit to trip every landmine it came across.
This term was... not quiet at all, and that's simultaenously a good and bad thing.

Senate Speaker GraVandius
The Senate speaker, who received a low approval rating of 44 percent in the midterm poll, sees his woes continue in the end-of-term poll. This poll sees his approval rating drop further to 38 percent, which is the lowest in the Senate. This may be due in part to the designation of two Senate bills as emergency legislation, which seems to be reflected in the comments, as some comments say that he has made "some strange decisions [as] Speaker," and that "[he] could become too personal and unprofessional in his role." However, the speaker does seem to still have support, with some comments praising him as an "excellent Speaker" and that he "did his job well enough."
Could become too personal and unprofessional in his role. But overall not too bad.
Some strange decisions are Speaker.
Excellent Speaker
The VP thing did pass; he was active and punctual
I had high hopes for GraV but his immaturity shined through too many times this term
Did his job well enough.

Senator Calvin Coolidge
Senator Calvin Coolidge, who received a satisfaction rating of 56 percent in the midterm poll, sees it drop to 47.6 percent in this poll. Senator Calvin Coolidge recently proposed the Presidential Approval Voting Amendment Act (2020), which saw controversy and was eventually tabled. This may have negatively affected his approval rating, which saw a nearly 10 percent drop between the two polls. However, despite his controversial opinions, the comments seem to show support for the senator, with many comments noting that despite having controversial opinions, "he always had good intentions and was respectable," and that "[he] stuck with his principles but was also willing to compromise." However, there were some negative opinions as well, with one commenter saying that they were "just completely disappointed overall.
Didn't always agree with him, but he always had good intentions and was respectable.
Calvin was a fine Senator. Stuck with his principles but was also willing to compromise.
I like Calvin and he tries so I am satisfied but I really disagree with most of what he says
This wasn't a surprising term for Calvin. He did what I expected. Unpopular stances, but not unsurprising.
Very steady performance through the term
Wasn't afraid of controversial proposals which is a good thing
Just completely disappointed overall.
My expectations were quite low, and he matched my expectations. Still unsatisfied though.

Senator Darkslayer
Despite seeing a 10 percent drop in popularity, Senator Darkslayer remains popular with the public, receiving a 66 percent satisfaction rating and being the second most popular senator in this poll. As deputy speaker, Darkslayer has stated publicly that he is interested in being speaker of the 75th Senate, and there seems to be public support for him in this role: 3 of 6 comments indicated either that they would support Darkslayer for speaker, or that Darkslayer would be a great candidate for Speaker.
I'm honestly not very sure what Dark has done. He hasn't really contributed much to Senate or its discussions.
too concerned with public pressure
I didn't have high hopes, seriously, but it's been nice to see how he works and thinks.
No change in my opinion, still want him as Speaker
Great candidate for Speakership next term.
Since Lloen's not running, Dark is a very strong contender for the Speakership next term.

Senator Malashaan
Senator Malashaan, who replaced Senator Prim in a recent by-election, received the highest satisfaction rating of any senator at 85.7 percent. Long seen as a legal expert, Malashaan, who is in their 18th Senate term and has received two Orders of Senatia to date, seems to have used their legal expertise to become an immediate leader in the Senate. Comments were overwhelmingly positive.
Mal has become an immediate leader in the Senate and is showing his worth.
good addition
Does anyone say anything bad about him? Oh...he was visible! :p
Just elected but great work on the SPA
Fulfilled expectations as a "legal eagle"
No comment needed. Great senator.
It's Mal. How could you not be satisfied with THE legal eagle?

Senator Lime
Senator Lime, who received an approval rating of 52 percent in the last poll, sees a major drop in his approval rating in the end-of-term poll. With an approval rating of 38.1 percent, Lime barely edges out GraVandius and is the senator with the second lowest approval rating. With concerns about his activity in the alst poll, Senator Lime has since introduced the Modern City Council Amendment (2020) alongside Mayor of Arnhelm Forilian, which passed 7-0 in the Senate. However, this seems to have had the opposite effect on the senator, who had a 13.9 percent drop in satisfaction. Comments mostly either praised him for listening to criticism and increasing his activity, or expresses confusion on the level of criticism the senator has been receiving.

Clear line of thought and he's taken criticism on board and increased his activity when some raised activity concerns.
Not sure why he's been getting dumped on, he's fine
Mediocre. Didn't really seem to have a discernible voice. Seemed to go along with the flow. The perception from me when Lime randomly conducted some strangely timed oversights of ministries is that he's doing it for the Senate run. Why didn't he tag another Senator to perform oversight on his own ministry?
He's not had the most outstanding senate term we've ever seen or anything, but I don't understand why his polling has been as low as it was
He listened to criticism and became more active, I saw him conducting oversight
Shame he only came back at the end -- wish he was more active throughout this term.
Not the best Senator by any means, but certainly not the worst either.

Senator Mr. Verteger
Senator Mr. Verteger received the largest drop in satisfaction for this poll, with his satisfaction rating of 60 percent in the midterm poll reduced to 42.9 percent in the end-of-term poll, a 17.1 percent drop. While Senator Mr. Verteger was active in the first half of the term, proposing the Approval Voting Amendment (2020) and Non-Binding Resolution 003: Standards of Oversight, it seems that his activity has reduced in the recent weeks, and comments reflect this as well. It seems that this was the cause for the senator's major drop in satisfaction.
Started off really strong, but his activity has since fallen off significantly.
So promising, and then disappeared. I hope he never runs again.
Vert has kinda just gone inactive.
Is he still around?
I've been biased for Vert since the beginning. I like him. He's done really good work and thought in the Senate. I want to see more of him!
Was good at the start of the term, but barely see him around anymore. Seems like he's getting ready to leave.
Went inactive in the second half because of RL. Still, the first part was great
Where did he go...?
would have been nice to have seen more of Vert.
Great start, kind of died out at the end. Still satisfied though.

Senator Pichtonia
Senator Pichtonia also saw a large drop in satisfaction, but manages to stay barely above 50 percent. His approval rating of 68 percent in the midterm poll has been reduced to 52.4 percent in the end-of-term poll, a 15.6 percent drop. His stance against the Vice-President Minister Amendment Act (2020) may have harmed his approval ratings, although he had already publicly stated and argued for his position before the midterm poll.
Pichto has contributed well mostly, although his stalling on the VP bill was disappointing.
I didn't see anything overtly wrong with him. Might be biased. :D
Hmm, hmm, not bad I guess, stood by his opinion, still, not the best term

Re-Election?
We then asked which senator(s) respondents would support for re-election. The trends here largely match the drop in approval for all senators, except for Senator Darkslayer, who despite suffering a double-digit drop in approval received a 2.6 percent increase for re-election support. This poll also shows wonderful news for Senator Malashaan, who at 95.2 percent support for re-election will almost certainly be re-elected should they decide to run. However, this may be bad news for Senators Calvin Coolidge, GraVandius, Lime, and Mr. Verteger, who each received a re-election support rate of 33.3 percent or lower.

Who would you want to see elected on the 75th Senate that isn't on the 74th?
Forilian (6)
Seva (4)
Aexnidaral, Istillian, Peeps, Drecq (3)
Common-Sense Politics, HEM, Maowi (2)
Prim, Darcness, Kuramia, Le Libertie, Vlaska, Lethen, McEntire, Olde Delaware, Lloenflys, Deepest House (1)

These results differ notably from the midterm poll. South Eastern Centralia, who was mentioned 5 times in the midterm poll, is not mentioned here at all. Lloenflys, who received 6 mentions last time, only received one in this poll, though that may be caused by his public announcement in which he announced his resignation as attorney general and also stated that he will not be running in the upcoming general election. Seva, who received 2 mentions in the midterm poll, sees his support increase to 4, while Peeps sees his support drop from 5 to 3, though he has stated publicly that he will not be running.
CSP, HEM, Prim
Aex, Darc, HEM, Kura
Istillian, Maowi, Forilian,
Drecq, Istillian, Peeps, CSP
Forilian, Seva
Aex, Drecq
Fori, Peeps, Seva, maybe LL
Seva, Forilian, Vlaska, Lethen, McEntire, Maowi
OD, Lloen, Drecq, Deepest House
Peeps, Seva, Aexnidaral, Istillian, Forilian
Forillian

A good analysis, fori!

Okay who said me for Senate? Lol

For some reason all I see is this on all of them:

1598157435713.png

About half the images are busted for me. Weird.

I'm looking at the code abs it seems like the images are being stored on discord? That's probably why it's not working.

D337E7C2-D190-48AA-94ED-BD92E70694FF.jpeg
46B2DE16-C2F0-44A6-AFA4-A7DEF9436AFB.jpeg
6BCF530D-DC3C-4FB0-A366-22F89C611A0C.jpeg
8A9DE593-1A3B-4185-B593-F5CC1B7839F4.jpeg
175E586F-12C3-4440-91AA-CA4EBEAF8F65.jpeg
526229DA-60F5-4523-96CF-EE5CBEC19CEA.jpeg
86F556B2-A937-4682-B6A5-429490302EB6.jpeg
091725A3-5A9D-4177-8651-06E30E3C664B.jpeg
58735136-D6A5-4ED9-BCC9-21C5747C4A5D.jpeg

These are supremely oof numbers. Even more surprising is Dark who even slid. Also, anyone know where Vert went?

I didn't get to vote in this one, sadly! Great analysts and breakdown. Honestly, I like a Senate that isn't afraid to be rough-and-tumble and debate some controversial proposals. Calvin was one of my favorite Senators in that regard, even though I didn't always agree with his ideas.

I don't think it's unreasonable though for folks to have the alternative perspective that they want their Senators to match their policy views. That being said, I hope this coming election we don't let the pendulum totally swing the other way with a super conservative bunch that just moves commas around on some legislation.

Yeah, great analysis, Fori. I'm confused by some of these numbers, there just seems to be a general unhappiness with this Senate which seems to have spread to all the individual senators (except maybe Mal) ... I wonder what this means for the next Senate's dynamic. Looks like we might be seeing some newer faces in there so it'll be an exciting election for sure!

RL more-or-less swallowed me whole, yes - my wife has been battling an illness we haven't gotten a grip on, and with the semester approaching it's been a nexus of 1000 things I've been trying to battle in the world of COVID.

And, as far as the senate went - I had ideas, I passed the ones people liked, didn't propose the ones people didn't. I commented to the extent of my expertise on the other stuff. I'm just thrilled I survived the term lol. I'll take it. (I'll even admit that at least one harsh comment was from myself :p )

EDIT: I think it's obvious that part of the everywhere-to-ghost part of my persona is that I'm not on the discord server anymore. That was a tough decision that has paid massive dividends to my productivity and mental health. I love y'all, but damn are y'all consuming. Might be awhile before I'm back on discord.

I'll have more to say regarding my activity in my Senate platform, but one comment here really got to me and honestly confused me.

Mediocre. Didn't really seem to have a discernible voice. Seemed to go along with the flow. The perception from me when Lime randomly conducted some strangely timed oversights of ministries is that he's doing it for the Senate run. Why didn't he tag another Senator to perform oversight on his own ministry?

1) I don't really see how you can say I "went with the flow" or didn't have a "discernible voice." I was strongly in favor of the AIC despite its deep unpopularity and made clear my disappointment with its tabling. On the title restoration amendment I opposed some of the changes despite other Senators changing their minds as well. I came out against one of the "compromise" solutions to the VP Minister amendment and almost caused the Vice-President Cabinet Amendment Act to fail by originally voting abstain. I just don't really understand how it could be said that I only went with the majority in this Senate as my record shows, I was willing to take up certain positions while also willing to compromise when it was needed. As for the oversight part - it's part of my job to conduct oversight. I had been contacted by some members of the community with concerns they had about a few Ministries so I raised these concerns in the oversights threads through my questioning and decided to extend this questioning to other Ministers as well. I explicitly asked other Senators to ask any questions that they may have, however I cannot force Senators to ask questions. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions that any Senator or citizen asked me regarding my role as MinComm however people need to ask a question in order for me to answer it.

Back