Influential Political Parties and Graphics

Influential Political Parties and Graphics
Written by Ervald

(Europeia – May 25, 2017) – In the history of Europeia, we had many political parties. Many were established but very few stood out in our unique brand of politics along with their logos. It is not only absolutely crucial for our fellow citizens to know about important political parties that have shaped our politics but also to develop creativity. Instead of just accepting whatever logo or symbol a graphic designer come up with, we should analyze and criticize it and see if not only is it designed well, but is it representative of what it is supposed to symbolize? In this article, we will be telling the history of three important political parties in Europeian history and also analyze their logos.

The Europeian Progressive Party was founded in early April of 2016 after the break-up of the Action Coalition of Europeia. It had its ups and downs during the early party especially with the famous case of them not endorsing any candidate in the June Presidential Election of 2016 despite Aditya, a member of the EPP, running for President. When 2017 came by, they proved a pivotal role in electing Aexnidaral Seymour as President in January 2017 and was unofficially known as a party for newcomers. This party brought more attention to the voting bloc of newcomers in the region.

Kounelli: This logo is clean and has nice edges, but the choice of font color in contrast with the rest of the design clashes. The text also doesn't fit very well by being out to the side, as my eyes do not know where to focus. Am I looking at the Euro symbol or the text? If that's not balanced, then it doesn't help this party to spread their progressive message. Speaking of their message, I am assuming that the yellow shape in the middle is supposed to be a bridge to represent crossing over? It is unclear and there is too much space inside the entry point of the yellow shape and the center of the Europeian logo.

Overall, I would give this Logo a 5/10

Crow: The logo presents a yellow band, (bridge?) that makes no sense. Even if it's a bridge, the message is not clear: the EPP will go trough the region? Is it a bridge to the party? in that case, I would never vote for an extremely egocentric party. The way that the real party logo is located, which is the acronym, in the corner right, isolating it from the Europeia logo is uncomfortable to see. The center of the logo, even though it has the yellow band, seems to have a blue void, making the logo empty.
What was the message? whatever it was, it failed.
4/10

Deepest House: The Europeian Progressive Party is clean, sleek, and modern. The key element of this logo is the bridge, or path, that passes from the front to the back, through the center of the region’s starless logo. This bridge or path can signify forward momentum, progress, and achievement. The logo does not include a slogan, however this is not a detriment to its qualities at all. This is the best logo of those provided for review, and appears the most professional as well. The three dimensional design element is a plus. Score: 9/10.

Average score of EPP's logo: 6/10

The Action Coalition of Europeia originally started in early February of 2014 as the Loaded Baked Potato Party. They renamed themselves as the Europeian Action Action Coalition in early August of 2014. Their final name change occurred in early December of 2015, when they became the Action Coalition of Europeia. It is difficult to find a specific pattern of who were endorsed by the party since both older and younger candidates were chosen for Senate and Presidential endorsements. Near the end of the party, in the earlier months of 2016, some splintering became quite apparent when the party was divided over presidential endorsements and get out the vote efforts within the party. A number of ACE members left to form the Europeian Progressive Party while other founding members of the ACE waited until December 2016 to form a new political party, by the name of Coalition for Responsible Politics.

Kounelli: There is a lot of busy things happening with this logo. Not only is the text jagged, but it's suffocating the Europeian logo rather than complimenting it. Perhaps if there were less text happening, and it was more concentrated on the logo itself, then it wouldn't be so much of a problem. There's also no sense of independence with the logo. While I understand that it has to relate to Euro, apart from the already established Euro Logo, the Action Coalition has nothing to offer for itself. What is their identity, what are they fighting for? The depend too much on the text to tell their message rather than show it.

Overall, I would give this logo a 4/10

Crow: It's just... boring. It's basically the shield of Europeia and some written messages. The letters have different fonts, and I would not use either of them, as the message is trying to be strong. The way the party name is written is also kinda off for me, like if the words were flipped in a wrong way. To make it worse, you have to move your head to be able to read the message around the logo. The only thing I can appreciate is its simplicity but because its simple that I would expect more.
4/10

Deepest House: The Action Coalition of Europeia places second in this review. It comes in second not so much based on its qualities, as it is a rather pedestrian logo, but rather due to the competition for second place. While there isn’t anything innately bad about the logo, it is not inspiring, and is simply the region’s logo with a slogan pasted around it, all on a white background. 6/10.

Average score of ACE's logo: 4.6/10

The National Conservative Party started in early August of 2009 and quickly became influenced by Falconias to turn it into a party to pit newcomers against the "old guard" clique. While he is known as a traitor who released the IPs of spies in defender regions, the NCP managed to elect him as President and held a majority of the seats in the Senate at one point. It is clear that by this time, the NCP introduced the idea of targeting newcomers as a political bloc which will stay as a trend in the future of the region's politics.

Kounelli: If it's one thing I definitely don't associate with conservative, it's the color green. While trying to possibly define themselves with a more original color, the green is very strong and clashes with the eagle that is supposed to represent the group. A more pastel green would have suited nicely, with perhaps a soft texture in the back to work with the translucent letters. As far as how it works as a logo, I feel it is more like a user bar, with only the eagle helping define what their party stands for. Although I do not see how an eagle works as a conservative animal.

Overall I would give this logo a 5/10

Crow: The green backgrounds ruins this logo, as the white letters are harder to read. Also, the brown and white of the eagle makes it... ugly. The message in the corner right is difficult to read, and should not cover the eagle. It's like if the letters were glowing
6/10

Deepest House: The National Conservative Party logo comes in third place. The first critique is the name. It’s my opinion, but I think it should’ve been the Regional Conservative Party, rather than National Conservative Party, as the party’s intent was to represent constituents in a region rather than nation. There is nothing linking the party to, nor promoting, Europeia which is another weakness in my opinion. I’m also unsure what the eagle is supposed to represent. While there is some drop shadowing on some of the lettering, the overall design elements and production quality seem quite low. It almost looks like it could’ve been made in Microsoft Paint using clipart, if it weren’t for the drop shadow effect. 4/10.

Average score of NCP's logo: 5/10

Over this article, three dramatically different type of people reviewed the graphics of these three political parties. Kounelli was a very experienced graphics designer and Deepest House and Crow were not professional graphic designers but came to Europeia at different times. They all shared similar critique toward the logos regarding the color, how cluttered they are, consistency, sleekness, simplicity, shadow effects, and even over if it was an actual logo.

They all had a different amount of concern for the symbolism behind the logos. From three different opinions on the logos, it appears that the average Europeian like the logo of their political parties to be sleek, having colors appealing to the eyes which resonate with the large amount of users using the Euro dark forum theme, simple enough which would be close to the style of the EPP or ACE, and should avoid drop shadow effects like the NCP's logo. Interesting enough, it seems like that Europeians seem divided on how important the symbolism behind the logo is but they do at least agree that the logos of political parties should be well-designed in a serious sense. The question is, will political parties in the future of Europeia take the design process of their logos more seriously or even use them to define their identity? Time will tell.

This was good! I would have liked to see some more explanation of what the parties did during their existence.

There was a cool image for the Rhino party that had every members name in green and it worked out to be a Rhino. But I can't find it :/

I would have loved to see more parties featured, but this is a very interesting discussion!

Yeah, it would be amazing to learn more about the history of Europeian political parties.

And what about the Europeian Moderate Party? :p

It would be cool to turn this into a series.

I want to give Ervald some kudos for conceptualizing, researching, and writing this article.

As other have mentioned, it's a great concept, and I'm glad he was able to follow through to publication.

Great work, Ervald!

Thank you everybody else and especially to DH!

Ervald said:
It had its ups and downs during the early party especially with the famous case of them not endorsing any candidate in the June Presidential Election of 2016 despite Aditya, a member of the EPP, running for President.
Errrr

Rach said:
There was a cool image for the Rhino party that had every members name in green and it worked out to be a Rhino. But I can't find it :/

?

Yeah! I saw it in the forum listings afterwards... it wasn't in their main forum. Not sure if it includes all their names; I see Oliver, Earth, PhDre..

Back