HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his

All —

Over the past few days I have received messages from people with concerns about various moderator and administrator actions. These messages—as well as the reaction to moderation acts over the past few weeks—make it painfully apparent that there is still confusion about the difference between a moderator and an administrator on the Discord server.

By having administrators also serve as moderators, we make it very difficult for citizens to discern which "hat" someone is using when enforcing policy, which concurrently, makes it very difficult for them to understand what kind of recourse they have.

To rectify that, I have instructed all of the administrative team to step down from their moderator roles by the end of this Presidential administration. Going forward, I will not permit any administrator to serve concurrently as a moderator.

Furthermore, Administrators are going to be backing out of moderator spaces. Administrators will not regularly participate in the Discord Mod channel in the Euro Server. Should moderation staff ever need Administrator-level assistance, they should specifically ping us, or seek us out individually. This ensures that moderator decisions are truly moderator decisions, and that there is a line of separation between the moderator staff that is subject to Europeian law, and the administrator staff, which is not.

Wait, which is which??

• Moderators typically deal with "everyday" moderation issues. Spam, violations of Europeian law, violations of the Discord rules, mild inappropriate behavior etc.
  • Administrators deal with "big picture" issues, such as: possible violations of real life law, harassment, emergency situations
What if you have a problem?

• If you believe a moderators has acted in an unlawful manner, you should file suit with the High Court. Moderators are subject to all Europeian law.
  • If you have a problem with an administrator, you should go to the Chief Administrator (me).
The gray area:

Despite these changes, there remains some gray area.

Should an administrator happen to see excessive or even mild harassment in a public channel, I would hope that we would intervene—particularly if there is a victim. In these rare cases, the chief administrator remains a recourse for every citizen.

Administrators will strive to allow moderators handle all low-level offenses, and will attempt to ping a moderator rather than handle them ourselves. We hope this adds clarity to the process, and clarity to the rights you have.

Please let me know if there are any questions,

/s/
HEM
Chief Administrator
Europeia (Discord) | Europeia (http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia)

Back