Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"If You Do This One Thing On Discord, You're A Monster"
HEM
E-Mensa
Managing Editor

A great part of Discord is the ability to create group chats with people. Sometimes group chats can be among friends and last a long time. Sometimes the purposes of group chats are more specific and temporary, like for a Presidential campaign or radio show.

But these group chats are always harmless. And like a DM with someone, there's no reason to go back and scrub your record of that group DM. But for some reason, that's exactly what some people do.

Far too often, when a group DM on Discord has remained dormant for a long time, someone will randomly decide to leave. A group DM that was otherwise not bothering anyone, resting quietly and peacefully in chronological order with the rest of your DMs is suddenly disturbed.

And worse still, this often sets off a chain reaction of other people leaving a DM. Whereas before everyone was perfectly happy to let an old DM sit in their queue, they suddenly feel this compelling and insatiable need to leave it — creating more and more pings in the process.

Before July, this group DM had sat undisturbed, bothering nobody, for months. But suddenly, the compulsive and illogical need to leave occurred to one member — setting off a chain reaction of pings, additional departures, additional pings, additional departures, additions pings, additional departures, additional pings, all for no reason!!

The simple fact of the matter is that inactive group DMs don't hurt you. They don't cause you pain or harm. And oftentimes, there may actually be content there you want to look back on later on. If you leave group DMs just to leave them — and pass pain and agony onto the other members of the DM — you are, quite simply, a monster.

-30-​

This is a very important issue and I'm glad you've bought it up. We must stop these heathens from leaving the GC's and disturbing the peace.

Reactions: HEM
This is a fair and well balanced article. Consider the pain you cause others by unnecessarily bumping old DM chats for literally no point at all. Now you've forced me to remember we had this disappointing and irrelevant conversation.

This is a fair and well balanced article. Consider the pain you cause others by unnecessarily bumping old DM chats for literally no point at all. Now you've forced me to remember we had this disappointing and irrelevant conversation.
you may have said it even better than me

This may be the first thing you have said about Discord which I agree with. I have been on this platform since 2016, and in all that time, I have never left an inactive GC.

(yes i did do a lot of Discord RP)

This may be the first thing you have said about Discord which I agree with. I have been on this platform since 2016, and in all that time, I have never left an inactive GC.

REP THE COOL GANG

No no this is definitely psychopathic behavior right here

No this is totally normal behavior! Do people delete their one-on-one convos with people because, "eh, haven't talked in a while! goodbye!"

No this is totally normal behavior! Do people delete their one-on-one convos with people because, "eh, haven't talked in a while! goodbye!"
Time to delete my one-on-one conversation with HEM because we haven't spoken in a while.

THIS ARTICLE SO MUCH

how are all of you in @GrandfatherClock

In a more serious tone though, I generally leave them if someone else does because I hate seeing something that's incomplete. There was also, as it turns out, critical evidence in a DM that I left prematurely, leading to me almost losing my court case until someone (thank you Maowi) invited me back in.

Moral of the story: don't leave DMs unless you would like to be convicted of recruitment fraud

Last edited:
how are all of you in @GrandfatherClock

In a more serious tone though, I generally leave them because I hate seeing something that's incomplete. There was also, as it turns out, critical evidence in a DM that I left prematurely, leading to me almost losing my court case until someone (thank you Maowi) invited me back in.

Moral of the story: don't leave DMs unless you would like to be convicted of recruitment fraud
Your Fav [Forilian] has been convicted of recruitment fraud!

I don't leave group chats. Which makes it all the sadder when I notice chats like "Unnamed" that have subsequently been abandoned by all the members but me.

I'm never the first to leave a group DM, but I will leave once everyone else does. Usually, the group DMs in question are not worth remembering anyway. Group servers, however, I will never leave.

I'm never the first to leave a group DM, but I will leave once everyone else does. Usually, the group DMs in question are not worth remembering anyway. Group servers, however, I will never leave.
I remember Sopo made a group server for anyone who could find the hidden link in his region's WFE or forum signature block?
I think only 2-3 people ended up in that server apart from Sopo,

He also made one for the Kingdom of Old Europeia -- any of those servers still kicking around, @Sopo?

Last edited:
The simple fact of the matter is that inactive group DMs don't hurt you. They don't cause you pain or harm. And oftentimes, there may actually be content there you want to look back on later on. If you leave group DMs just to leave them — and pass pain and agony onto the other members of the DM — you are, quite simply, a monster.
I disagree completely.

I enjoy a group chat list of 0, similar to inbox 0 but for discord. I will happily slightly inconvenience you to leave old group chats. I apologize for your very little pain and suffering that results from this.

Back