Huh, HEM Deleted the EBC Forum?

Huh, HEM Deleted the EBC Forum?
Behind the Meme
Written by Ervald

(Europeia - June 28, 2018) - Just like the area or country we're from in real life, there are many memes and inside jokes in Europeia. There are so many that in fact, the Ministry of Culture at one point organized a thread titled "Official List of Europeian Memes and Inside Jokes". Unfortunately, it is outdated and quite frankly, it would help to have a more comprehensive explanation of those memes. Well, here we are. That is what we are going to exactly do with "Behind the Meme" and for our first one, we will be explaining the meme about HEM deleting the EBC forum.

On the evening of Jan 1, 2015, at 11:40 p.m. EST, Mousebumples, who was president at the time, requested for some subforums to be merged into the "Communication Operations" subforum along with the creation of an EBC Archive. Two days later, Mousebumples "bumped it", making sure an admin saw the request. Then at 1:59 a.m. on January 3, the birth of the meme occurred. HEM responded to Mousebumples request with "I am happy to report that this admin task has been completed without blunder or error :ph43r:" Several jokes were cracked at HEM's expense but it would not die. It would only escalate.

At the Celebration of Yesteryear (2015) festival, citizens could nominate fellow citizens for awards and one of the awards was Most Respected Member. Sopo nominated HEM for that award, saying "...He served as Senate Speaker this year, and notably also restored the EBC after some idiot admin deleted it." From that moment, this would be a meme that was referenced through the years. A whole year later on Jan 10, 2016, Lethen sarcastically posted in the Admin Task Thread "Headers updated, Senators should all be re-masked properly. And if I messed anything up, remember: at least I didn't accidentally delete the EBC." This joke still lives on today, as we could see when Drexlore predicted what would happen in 2018 for the "Predictions for 2018" activity at the EuroChoice Awards 2017 (2018) event. One of those predictions was "HEM will have his nation CTE and/or delete the EBC again..."

Of course, this meme has been referenced innumerable times on #eurochat whenever Europeian administrators are brought up in a conversation. What is really interesting about this inside joke is that unlike other jokes with so much context, this joke does not have as much hidden context. The context behind the joke is precisely the joke. HEM accidentally deleted the EBC forum. I thought that maybe perhaps, he didn't really delete the forum and HEM just joked that he deleted the forum, but he actually did. Due to that particular nature of this meme, I was able to get it right away. Not everybody is lucky when it comes to that since it can involve waiting for someone who knew what happened to be kind enough to drop off a link for you. But, that is the beauty of it. You get to witness an inside joke not on the scale of a group of friends but of an entire region.

Thank you for this article, Ervald, and well done! I think it's great to get a look at those inside jokes. Not just because the stories behind them are often funny, but also because they tell Europeian history.

I thoroughly enjoyed this trip down memory lane! Great job, Ervald!

Oh this is going to be a great series :D

I can officially reveal that "will you delete the EBC?" has been used as a question in interviews for potential new forum admins.

Malashaan said:
I can officially reveal that "will you delete the EBC?" has been used as a question in interviews for potential new forum admins.
Can confirm, was asked.

That was a fun question!

This is such a cool way to combine humor and interesting history into an article! Great job, Ervald!

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone! :D Definitely looking forward to researching for the next article.

Back