How Old Do You Have To Be To Become President?

GraVandius

Retired Troll
Pronouns
His Majesty
1631511255935.png

How Old Do You Have To Be To Become President?

Hello everyone this relatively short article was a project that I actually started before this outlet even existed. I was playing around with Microsoft Access circa 2017 in order to get familiar with it for a class and recorded a bunch of data on Presidents. That included join dates that went into a similar version of this piece but also the publicly available birthdays on the old forum. Since then I've periodically reached out to our newly elected leaders to continue updating the data under the idea I would actually put this article out at some point. After 3+ years that day has finally arrived.

1631112741080.png
There seems to be a clear increase in the ages of our top regional leader post 2014. Prior to January 1st 2014, the average age was 19.21 years old while after it jumps to 26.52 years. This to some degree inherently makes sense. For one as existing players aged and if they took a long time getting around to becoming President that is reflected in the higher numbers. Additionally one could assume as the average age of the region increased and it consisted of more than teenagers running around players approaching middle age would fit in better with the community.

1631112791159.png
When cross-comparing time to presidency, calculated by the most recent method, the isn't a clear correlation with age. My initial assumption would be that older players would rise faster as they would have the advantage of their accumulated real life wisdom but that doesn't seem to be the case. While there seems to be an upward correlation up to about 25 that completely falls apparat past that point. Our older members are both some of the fastest and slowest to reach a Head of State Position.
superlatives.png

Above you can see that our illustrious founded has come in as the youngest Head of State we have ever had at the absolute lowest it could ever be. The minimum age to play is 13 and I highly doubt that record will ever be tied. Notably however two recent leaders have come in right behind at 15 years old, joining Earth22. On the other side of things Kuramia and Deepest House come it tied for the oldest age a Europeian has first become Head of State at 38. It's pretty interesting that the range of success here is over two decades.

Anyway that's it for this short piece. Due to some of the players who provided their age requesting that it not be linked to them, I will not be sharing the spreadsheet of data behind this. If you have any questions I'll be happy to try to answer them respecting those privacy wishes.

Attachments

• 1630119464201.png
    1630119464201.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 1630119793712.png
    1630119793712.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Glad to have the ERI back! Did you look at the data including subsequent elections? I'm interested to see how much older things skew if you include second, third, fourth etc terms for folks like me, HEM, CSP, and Calvin - if you have that data.

How did you have all of our ages going into this? I'm curious, mainly. And I think I was 17 when I first became President...I don't think I was 16, at least.

How did you have all of our ages going into this? I'm curious, mainly. And I think I was 17 when I first became President...I don't think I was 16, at least.
Also curious. I believe I would have been 31. (30 when i was Mal's VP.) So I'm not sure where i am on the scatter plots...?

I started this awhile ago so there were a lot of different sources. I started with what people had as their birthday on Zetaboards, of which you seem to have had given as 7/17/1989, at least according to what I have in the spreadsheet. That puts you at 18 on 7/30/2007?

I also found birthdays by looking through Happy Birthday threads to see if someone noted how old they were turning and extrapolating from there, in addition to asking people.

Also curious. I believe I would have been 31. (30 when i was Mal's VP.) So I'm not sure where i am on the scatter plots...
I'm not sure where I got your particular birthday from Mouse, but I had you at 27 on 12/21/2014. I've updated the scatter plots

That was my age and that is my birthday!

Great article Grav, sorry I'm a bit late to comment
My initial assumption would be that older players would rise faster as they would have the advantage of their accumulated real life wisdom
I think this could still be true. As you've said, the correlation is strong before 25, which is i think when the frontal lobe fully develops and maybe other things like that, plus 25 is roughly when people start families, maybe for some people jobs, and just have less time on their hands

Glad to have the ERI back! Did you look at the data including subsequent elections? I'm interested to see how much older things skew if you include second, third, fourth etc terms for folks like me, HEM, CSP, and Calvin - if you have that data.
1631504527859.png
Here is the chart including every election date rather than the first election date. Overall the mean only rises from 22.67 to 23.48. A lot of the increases in really long non-consecutive terms were offset by younger players consecutive terms. For every 10 year HEM gap there are back to back Pineapleboy terms to drag it back down.

Also as another addendum to this article, I just remembered I "interviewed" HEM about the results I had compiled over a year ago in March of 2020 so that's attached:
GraV: "As shown in the graph there have been a significant increase over the past few years (2014-2019) in the average age of our newest Presidents/FMs, this from my view seemed to correlate with an increase in professionalizm across the region. Since you have a larger scope of view, being the founder, is that something you would agree with?"
HEM: "I think that's definitely part of it. On the other hand, something to think about is how the comparatively even more extreme professionalism of the legislature (which started probably in 2011) forced a lot of younger players to primarily engage in the executive (even if not in the top job). I think that's probably held down the limits of professionalism in the executive branch. something else I think we need to consider is that while RL age may make a real impact, how we arrange our institutions can as well. There can be no doubt that the executive split lowered expectations and professional across the board, most impactfully for the two high executive offices. So there are ways we can formulate a region that takes advantage of experience of older folks IRL while also being accessible to everyone....we just have to figure it out"

Attachments

• 1631504447835.png
    1631504447835.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Back