How Often Do We Give Out Ovations and How Long Does It Take to Earn One?

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
This article is part of a series on Honoured Citizens. Check out parts one and two.

As we have now inducted the latest Honoured Citizen into our ranks, this seems like a perfect time to weigh in on the ever-present questions surrounding Ovations and Triumphs. Namely, how often do we really give these things out? Additionally, I wanted to see how long it takes to earn one of these awards. All told there are 24 Honoured Citizens to examine (Pineapleboy is also a Honoured Citizen, but was awarded this outside of the Ovation and Triumph system, so will be excluded from this analysis). So, let's begin with our first question: how often are these awarded?

How Often.jpeg

Timeline
NameDate of Senate ConferralDays Since Last Ovation/TriumphNotes
AspertaDecember 2nd, 2010N/AFirst Ovation
LethenFebruary 24, 201184
Oliver GreyMarch 24, 201128First Triumph. Revoked on January 26, 2012 for damaging Europeia's reputation abroad.
AnumiaJune 20, 201188Revoked on December 23, 2016 after administrative ban
Asianatic/AuroraMay 15, 2012330
Skizzy GreyOctober 10, 2012149
Common-Sense PoliticsFebruary 23, 2013137Triumph
SwakistekJuly 23, 2013151
r3naissanc3r July 30, 2014373
VinageDecember 26, 2014150
MalashaanMarch 1, 201566
Pope Lexus XJuly 14, 2015136
KraketopiaSeptember 21, 201570Triumph
DrecqFebruary 15, 2016148
WritinglegendApril 21, 201667
hyanygoJuly 3rd, 2016 (nomination tabled)74Only nomination to be rejected
hyanygoSeptember 12, 201672Revoked on January 23, 2019 for conduct unfitting of an honoured citizen
HEMMarch 9, 2017179Nominated by Chancellery
North East SomersetApril 9, 201732
Calvin CoolidgeJanuary 7, 2018284
SopoJune 3, 2018138
AexnidaralFebruary 18, 2019261
OnderKelkiaAugust 7, 2019171
KuramiaFebruary 3, 2020181
DarcnessApril 16, 202074
What I've done here is taken all the dates where an Ovation or Triumph was put up for nomination, and calculated the days since the last Ovation or Triumph was conferred by the Senate, to get an idea of how often these are being awarded. When I look at this graph, I categorize the data into four main periods that we can sort this activity into: the initial surge (2010-11), the slowdown (2011-15), a second, more prolonged surge (2015-18), and a second slowdown (2018-20).

The initial surge is the first four awards, which were given out pretty quickly, each within 90 days of each other. This period is from late 2010 to mid 2011. However, after those, the next six are given out at a much slower pace, with some even waiting a year between them. This period lasts from mid 2011 to early 2015. Then, the next nine awards are given at an even quicker pace than the initial surge, with awards being given every term, or every term. This period is from early 2015 to early 2018. Lastly, we enter our current phase, from early 2018 to current day early 2020, with the pace having slowed once again.

It is notable to me that the only time a nomination has been rejected was at the tail end of the second surge, when hyanygo's nomination sparked intense backlash for being the latest in a quick succession of nominations. After the following term when hyanygo was nominated again, and then given the award, we entered out current phase of putting more space between our nominations once again. This suggests that our leaders are responsive to calls for moderation when it comes to these awards. Similarly, after our longest drought of over a year, we quickly entered our second surge, so no extreme will last, really.

This, then, answers our first question of how often these awards are given out, but how long does it take to earn them?

How Long Sorted.jpg

Ranking
NameDays it Took to Earn Ovation/Triumph
Asperta209
Oliver Grey575
Writinglegend696
Kraketopia698
Skizzy Grey855
Common-Sense Politics1245
Malashaan1247
Darcness1267
Calvin Coolidge1284
Lethen1415
Asianatic/Aurora1449
Vinage1460
Anumia1528
Swakistek1547
Kuramia1677
r3naissanc3r 1733
Drecq1846
North East Somerset2623
Pope Lexus X2873
Sopo3076
Aexnidaral3248
hyanygo3419
OnderKelkia3572
HEM3656
For this data, I went back and calculated the days from each Honoured Citizen's first citizenship application, rather than their join date, to get a more accurate representation of how long they had been working in the region. Of course, it's still not a perfect measurement, but I think it's about as good as we can get. Once again, I like to sort the data into groups, so I would sort them into these three: those take earned it within one to three years, then within four to six, and finally within eight to ten (nobody earned it in their seventh year).

The first group has: Asperta, Oliver Grey, Writinglegend, Kraketopia, and Skizzy Grey.
Second: Common-Sense Politics, Malashaan, Darcness, Calvin Coolidge, Lethen, Asianatic/Aurora, Vinage, Anumia, Kuramia, Swakistek, r3naissanc3r, and Drecq.
Third: North East Somerset, Pope Lexus X, Sopo, Aexnidaral, hyanygo, OnderKelkia, and HEM.

The reason I broke down these groups like I did is because I found it useful to see who was awarded very "early" in their career, as opposed to who was awarded "late". Of course, some will accomplish a lot more in two years than some will in eight, so there's a reason it takes people such varying lengths to get these awards, but it's worthwhile to see who falls into what category, so eventually we can dig into the why, but that's a different article. The fact that 50% of people are in the middle group is also reassuring to me, that these groups are properly balanced, and we have a sort of "average" time it takes, which is good to know.

The final thing I want to do in this article is to see if there is any correlation between when an Ovation/Triumph is given out and how long the recipient had to wait to earn it, so I will present the same graph from the last section, but ordered chronologically, so we can compare it with our first graph, to look for any clues.

How Long Chronological.jpg
How Often.jpeg

Seeing these two graphs right on top of each other, I think we can see that there's not an obvious correlation between them, and it's sort of random when an award is given out, and to who, at least through this sort of examination. Of course, I'm willing to admit that I don't have a more foolproof way of determining this correlation, if it exists, so I'm open to being proven wrong on this.

And that is that. I am through with my charts and tables, and have presented all the data that I feel can be presented to answer our initial questions. I hope this is a useful collection of things for future Ovation and Triumph discussions! Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, admiring the pretty colors.

Very interesting data! Where's my Ovation though?

p r e t t y c o l o u r s!

But anyway great analysis, it's interesting to see how really marked the fluctuations are

Oh this is really interesting!

Looking at this, I think it's partly random noise and partly natural ebb and flow. Looking at the "surge" from '15 to '18, my own aside that I won't comment on for obvious reasons, there's no one in there who I can make an argument for not deserving it when they got it. Several of them probably deserved it sooner. The most questionable is clearly Hy in view of his later fall from grace, but in 2016, he was very influential and had been for a long time.

Love this -- definitely solid information. :)

Oh interesting. Thanks, Calvin. <3

Back