How Long Does It Take to Become a Minister?

GraVandius

Retired Troll
Pronouns
His Majesty

How Long Does It Take To Become a Minister?

Hello all, this is a new iteration of my previous articles looking into how long it takes someone to rise from just joining the region to it's highest offices. Additionally, I utilized the data from Every Minister Ever, which I've been updating every time we get new nominations, though the pivot tables might be a bit wonky. Finally, both @Astrellan and @Seva were huge helps in regard to finding the citizenship application dates for the majority of the people included in this study. So huge thanks and shout out to them as otherwise this article probably would not have been completed until the end of the year :p

In terms of data, this is limited to all nominations happening from January 2010 forward as in the early days of Europeia it is arguably impossible to find the actual account names of many of those citizens, and we had many more instances of people with like 4 posts being appointed to office, which would effectively skew this data entirely. Down the line maybe I'll do a version limited to the early days of the region.

1596308232111.png
Above you can see, that excluding outliers, there has been no real trend in how long it takes to be minister, over the years. The mean here is 455 days which is a little over half a year shorter than the time to President without outliers, (627 days). The median however is much lower, at 209 days or a bit over half a year. This is mostly due to the smattering of individuals who took a break or the oddity of someone like Anumia, who served as President prior to ever serving as minister. Thus, the median, given the struggles of trying to control for all possible breaks of the ~150 unique ministers is probably the best value to use here.
1596308376055.png
Above you can see the fastest risers to the cabinet based on their citizenship date. By far in the lead is Kraken, who somehow got appointed Minister of Communications a mere 3 days after applying for citizenship. Often such short time to nominations are based on previous NS experience such as Kraken's is. Additionally in Vulturret's case he was lurking in the discord for quite awhile prior to his appointment. Others such as Prim or Deepest House, were new promising members who were tapped to fill a vacancy mid-term.

1596383214508.png
On the flip side of things there are a lot of people on this list who were either just floating around the community awhile before getting involved through a minister position or had a long break between activity. OD is the most clear example of the second scenario as he took a years long break from being a member in very early Europeia before finally being elevated to minister last term. While it obviously would be great to account for those gaps, it is near impossible to identify the leave and re-join dates of someone like OD as that would not be recorded on the Citizenship spreadsheet due to it happening in the ancient history of Europeia.

Well, that about does it for that article, if you are curious about the full list, that is in alphabetical order here. Thanks for tuning in!

Attachments

• 1596307057784.png
    1596307057784.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 1596319777035.png
    1596319777035.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 133
Great article GraV! Something that I will say is that I have no idea how the forums got this join date for me, I joined ~Feb 1st 2020 on this account, and on Mar 30, 2017 on my prior account. (in my mind I joined in 2020, I did nothing in 2017).

Great article GraV! Something that I will say is that I have no idea how the forums got this join date for me, I joined ~Feb 1st 2020 on this account, and on Mar 30, 2017 on my prior account. (in my mind I joined in 2020, I did nothing in 2017).
It's based on your first Citizenship Application which was evidently on that date in 2018 here. At least on this account. Which is another thing with this experiment. It's near impossible to find out if Joe Scrub from 2011 rejoined with a new account in 2014 ect. so there are definitely a lot of small, technical errors in terms of finding join dates, simply because a lot of stuff has been just lost to memory. Even with more prominent citizens who I actually remember, like shadowlurker, they inexplicably changed their name to Connor at some point, which made it infinetly more frustrating to find their account and locate their application.

Oh wow lol, I don't even remember applying in 2018, but I guess I did.

This is a great article, but you've sent me down a very frustrating rabbit hole. See below, emphasis added:
OD is the most clear example of the second scenario as he took a years long break from being a member in very early Europeia before finally being elevated to minister last term. While it obviously would be great to account for those gaps, it is near impossible to identify the leave and re-join dates of someone like OD as that would not be recorded on the Citizenship spreadsheet due to it happening in the ancient history of Europeia.

We used to have a hard-copy list that I would update once or twice a month with current citizenships; I thought it was in the Grand Hall but I can't find it. I've found a bunch of GH threads (posted by me) referencing this list, but I can't find the thread itself. Maybe I wasn't the one that posted it? Or it's entirely possible I moved the thread somewhere...

EDIT: Man, I'm good. Found it @GraVandius

Last edited:
This is great! Thanks for putting this together GraV!

Nice article! While I joined in 2015 I quickly left again and wasn't active until 2016. Still a long time until I became a Minister tho

I love these articles. Thanks!

I think a good follow up would be time to reach a "senior" position (for lack of a better term). I.e., time to senator, minister, or justice. Maybe even time between reaching that position and a silverdome l similar one in other branches. The thinking about my own experience where I became a senator quickly but resisted being a minister for well over a year, and I'm wondering how that plays out for other people overall.

I think a good follow up would be time to reach a "senior" position (for lack of a better term). I.e., time to senator, minister, or justice. Maybe even time between reaching that position and a silverdome l similar one in other branches. The thinking about my own experience where I became a senator quickly but resisted being a minister for well over a year, and I'm wondering how that plays out for other people overall.
It'd be interesting to compare this data with length of time in a ministry as a JM, DM, etc before ascension to a higher role

I will not be scrubbing through all the ministry subforms to find all the people who have been appointed DM over the years, i’ll let you know that right now. :p

Something like time to Justice, shouldn’t be that hard and is something I’m already kind of working on though, I’ve only gone as far back as the past year. Every Senator Ever is a lot more tricky given the lost election results and the fact that the legislative records are incomplete.

I could definitely put together Minister —> President time of something like that with the existing data I have. Additionally, with Calvins ticket articles I can probably put together a time to vice-president at some point as well.

Back