Honored Citizen Restriction Amendment Completes Unlikely Journey

Honored Citizen Restriction Amendment Completes Unlikely Journey
By Deepest House

(Europeia – May 27, 2017) – The citizens of Europeia collectively voted “Aye” in support of the Honored Citizen Restriction Amendment referendum held May 25-26. The referendum passed 35-27. The amendment removes the right of honored citizens to speak in the Senate without invitation.

The final vote in the referendum completes the long and unlikely journey that started in the Citizens’ Assembly. While the amendment enjoyed debate in the CA, the region’s junior legislative body ultimately failed to pass the bill and advance it to the Senate for consideration.

Senator Leo introduced the amendment to the Senate on May 15, continuing the discussion in newly started legislative session. It is unusual for a piece of legislation to flounder in the CA and then be brought to the Senate for consideration. “In my right as a senator, I propose this amendment proposed in the Assembly that is worth discussion on the senate floor,” Senator Leo said at the time. The Senate debated the amendment for a week before passing the bill four votes to two.

The final stop on the journey would’ve been the desk of President Darcness. However, despite considering the amendment overnight, the president exercised his authority to pass the bill on to public referendum, ultimately citing the “deeply split” Senate and public. “I hereby request that the issue of the People's Assent be discovered via referendum,” President Darcness declared.

The president’s declaration of a deeply split Senate elicited critical comments from a number within Europeia, while others backed the president’s decision. Supreme Chancellor Mousebumples opened the official public comment and debate period, which resulted in an often heated back and forth exchange between supporters of the amendment and its opponents.

"While it's unfortunate that the debate turned divisive, the amendment was an important step forward in improving the institution of the Senate," Speaker McEntire said. "I'm gratified for the public support, as I know are my fellow senators who supported this amendment."

Editor's Note: This story has been updated with Speaker McEntire's statement, which the EBC had previously requested.

Trinnien said:
If you're going to give Hy and Mal permanent speaking rights anyhow, it would seem that this whole journey was for naught.

But I'm only really going by the Senate and EBC commentary so who knows what nuance I may have missed.
No, this pretty much sums it up.

No, it doesn't. I supported the amendment based on the fact that I thought it was an extraneous reward to give to Honored Citizens as it was, but I can definitely see the merit in the idea that HCs can have an impact on discussion points in the Senate that is negative in nature. I'd rather we minimize those negatives (i.e. giving every HC the blanket right) while allowing for the positives (i.e. giving speaking rights more selectively to those HCs that have demonstrated positive input and impact on legislative discussions in the Senate).

Cerian Quilor said:
What negative impacts have happened?
None off the top of my head. I never implied that they have happened yet, merely that I wanted to minimize the risk.

Back