Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"He's Running: McEntire / [????] For President"
HEM
Op-Ed
Managing Editor

The below interview was conducted between ENN Managing Editor and Presidential candidate on 7/12. It was embargoed until standing opened for the Presidency. ENN has not endorsed any ticket for the Presidency.

HEM: Hey McEntire, thanks for joining us here on ENN.

McEntire: Thanks for having me, HEM

HEM: So, obviously you've already told me the big news: you'll be running for President. So before we get to the next piece of breaking news, could you share a little bit with us about why you decided to run?

McEntire: I decided to run because I am enthusiastic about the new Presidency that we can build. The first President that we choose will be incredibly consequential to the future of the region. That person will have the opportunity to set precedent. I want to bring us a new Presidency, one that is manageable and tries to take advantage of some of the benefits of the Executive Split. And frankly, as First Minister I've really enjoyed my job! Our Cabinet has been doing great, and I'm proud of the work and want to continue it.

HEM: Obviously, it's going to be a stacked field -- especially with you in the mix. How do you think you stand out from Sopo and Lloen?

McEntire: Well I believe that for our first presidential election in years, Europeia deserves a stacked field, and we have it. I have so much respect for these candidates — have served and worked extensively with both of them. But I believe that our vision will stand out, and the fact is that I am already doing the work on the domestic side. That position will allow for the smoothest possible transition. And I believe our platform will stand out once released.

HEM: So, I guess we can dispense with the suspense. You're saying "our platform" -- so here's the big question: who will you be running with?

McEntire: My running mate will be the current Chief of State, Malashaan. Not only does he bring foreign affairs expertise to this ticket, but this ticket will allow a completely seamless transition. Plus we have worked together many times. I am incredibly excited about the opportunity to continue to lead with him, and learn from him.

HEM: An interesting choice! How do you envision your partnership looking, if elected?

McEntire: Having been a senator during the reform discussion, I understand the Senate’s vision and the region’s vision. I will he involved with most of the day-to-day management, although Malashaan will have a smaller portfolio of ministries that he is primarily responsible for. He will also be an invaluable advisor to me, as his previous service as President provides institutional knowledge that I think will be key in guiding the term. I haven’t been President, although it’s something I’ve always aspired to, and I think that this time and this team have lined up for it to be the right thing to do.

HEM: Now, Malashaan has come under some criticism for not being particularly visible during his term. He's made public bulletins, but people don't feel very connected to him or his work. Is that a perception you will try to counter in the campaign?

McEntire: I understand that is the conventional wisdom, but I have to disagree! I think that the Region of the Week program has been a huge success in making foreign affairs more social. As you point out, he has done regular bulletins. And both the recent private poll and EBC polling shows a high degree of job approval and personal approval. I wouldn’t have selected him if I disapproved of the work of the Council of State this term, and I think he will be a great workhorse in our administration.

HEM: Unless someone else declares, it looks like your ticket will be the oldest President/Vice President combination on the ballot. Do you think that presents advantages? Disadvantages? Does it meet the current moment in Europeia?

McEntire: I see advantages and disadvantages in it, but ultimately I think this is the right ticket for this time, to methodically shape what the next years in Europeia will look like. I think that the next generation is emerging. I have tried to bring them into my current Cabinet, and have been incredibly satisfied with the results. I would seek to do the same as President, so while the top of the ticket may be older, the team will be vibrant and new, with a few unconventional picks. As First Minister, I feel that I’ve connected with many newer members! So I’m hoping that they feel the same. It’s really up to the voters to decide whether we are the ticket for this moment. But the major disadvantage of being more experienced is that you can lose touch with the people, and I certainly don’t think that’s the case (or at least hope not!)

HEM: Great, well thanks for chatting with us McEntire and I'm sure much more to come in the upcoming contest!

McEntire: Thanks HEM! As Presidential bids go, I’m hoping that fourth time is the charm! 😁

I'm looking forward to seeing this platform (as well as all the others!), it'll be interesting to see what dynamic being the two outgoing heads of state brings and what insights they can take forward. In any case this is going to be a super exciting election!

OMG I am soooooo surprised! :D This is an exciting ticket!

Back