Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
1602083437012.png
E-Mensa - "Great Europeians of History: Calvin"
Sopo
Deputy Editor

We've all heard the tales of Europeia's greatest, most influential citizens: Falconias, Cordova, Lenin Cat (aka Cary), HEM. What we haven't heard are the tales of Europeia's unsung heroes. The forgotten workhorses, the suppressed talents, the backbones of the Republic. In our ongoing series, Great Europeians of History, E-Mensa looks to the past to bring you the stories of those incredible Europeians that time forgot. Our second feature is actually somewhat well-known to most Europeians today because of his immaculate record of service to the region: Calvin.

Calvin joined Europeia on Sep 19, 2008 to much acclaim.

Welcome! Personally, I am so happy you are here! :D

Feel free to hang around and chit-chat, or comment on anything of interest :D

From there, Calvin quickly became a staple of Europeian life, joining the burgeoning Europeian Union Party. Five days after joining, Founder HEM nominated Calvin for chairperson of the EUP:

I decline, and nominate Calvin Hatcher.

After accepting the prestigious nomination, Calvin made a rousing speech to rally the base. He was facing popular former President Pope Lexus X, and so needed to muster all the charisma he could.

Good evening. I'd like to say a few words why you should; elect a unknown commodity for Chairman. HEM nominated me and I like to think that I can live up to HEM's high standards.

I am told that organizing for elections is a key principle of being Chair. I have organized for parties before in AGS and understand well the concept of bringing people together to win elections and to fight as a team.

My past history has been in a govsim. I have organized as Chair, as Leader, as Whip, and I have been President in political govsims. I believe I am competent in these matters. And I hope to bring that quality to Chairman here.

Thank you.

In a spectacular upset, Calvin defeated Lexus to become chairman of the EUP, winning the support of even Lexus himself. Calvin boldly supported the controversial proposal for a coalition between the EUP and their traditional rival, the ECP.

Additionally, Calvin rapidly rose through the ranks of the Ministry of Culture, with Minister HEM appointing him a deputy on February 27, 2009, alongside Champagne Jam, who would later be revealed as a spy for the Founderless Regions Alliance and yet would also be elected president under his own name, Falconias. A true dream team for culture that is unmatchable.

Proving himself multitalented, Calvin then tried his hand at legislation, proposing the Special Advisor Creation Act:

Special Advisor Creation Act

Recognizing that the President of Europeia may wish for advice on many issues from citizens of all walks of life.

Also recognizing the limited number of cabinet roles.

This bill authorizes

1. That the President may appoint to the cabinet "Special Advisors" that will give the President advice in the cabinet on any issue that he/she sees fit.

2. These "Special Advisors" will be appointed, dismissed, and treated like all other Cabinet members.They will be subject to mandatory recruitment and any other obligations.

Maintaining his close ties to HEM, Calvin also presented a declaration of war to the Senate on HEM's behalf. Unfortunately, even the great orator Calvin could not win over the reluctant Elven delegation:

***Translated from Elven****

To: Our brother nation within Europeia

The People of the Elven Empire feel for all members of this wounderful nation and condemns these villains. We too desire that these fiends be brought to justice. As a new member of Europeia, we understand the need to protect an ally and maintain the bonds of friendship. But War is never an easy choice and the course must never be taken lightly.

The Spam has yet to attack. Our means of combating them only offers limited success and threatens to evolve into a long bloody conflict.

It is with heavy heart I must announce our decision to vote against the Declaration of War.

Celanor Ap Vyshaan
High King of the Empire of Elven People

But, as we have learned, all good things must come to an end. Calvin's light shone too brightly to persist for too long, and he inevitably faded into the history books. His final post on the Europeian forum, though, was yet another act of service. On March 20, 2009, he shared the Europeian census, providing important data to the Europeian people:

(With thanks to Asianatic).

Total number of Nations in Europeia: 337 (+89)
Total number of WA Nations in Europeia: 95 (+28)
Total number of WA Delegate endorsements: 65 (+26)
Percentage of WA Nations endorsing the delegate: 68%(+10%)

He was not heard from again. His nation was last active 11 years and 166 days ago.

Today, we remember Calvin Hatcher for his bravery on the political battlefield and for his dedication to the Europeian community. Few Europeians have matched his achievements. Since his departure, we have struggled to meet the bar that he set so very high. We live in hope that one day he will return, so we can know what it is like to have a good Calvin in our region.

R.I.P.
Calvin Hatcher
February 2009 - March 2009

"Yay! What do I do now? lol :D"

This was the best thing I've read in weeks

Back