Government registry and updates to forum header

The problem I have with it is that it is non-obvious that it will lead to the NS nation page. It should be text-based: "NS" with the pipe will do just fine.

hyanygo said:
The problem I have with it is that it is non-obvious that it will lead to the NS nation page. It should be text-based: "NS" with the pipe will do just fine.
That's my concern too, which is why I went for NS originally.

The same applies to the media button in the footer, where I was also thinking of repalcing the globe with NS.

r3naissanc3r said:
hyanygo said:
That's my concern too, which is why I went for NS originally.

The same applies to the media button in the footer, where I was also thinking of repalcing the globe with NS.
Could we superimpose NS over the globe in some way? Or is the icon too small to do that effectively?

The icons are part of our icon font. As a result, they behave the same as regular letters, and we cannot superimpose letters on each other.

I am with Hy and r3n. I'd much prefer we leave it there so they have some way of knowing it's a link to NS.

r3naissanc3r said:
The icons are part of our icon font. As a result, they behave the same as regular letters, and we cannot superimpose letters on each other.
But couldn't we theoretically insert text onto the logo? Like in the design of said logo?

r3naissanc3r said:
Mousebumples said:
I mentioned this off-handedly to Mal on Skype the other day, and I love the links to the profile pages. While I understand why the nation links are there, the NS superscript is throwing me off, and I'm just not a fan. As an alternative (and bearing in mind that I have no clue how doable/not doable this is) ... would it be possible to either code the nation listing on the profile pages as a link? Or edit in a clickable link (perhaps from the citizenship spreadsheet) to link to the nation page from the profile?

The automation is super-awesome, however, and likely to be quite handy for dispatches and the like. :D
I think it's important for new members to have easy access to the in-game nations. Keep in mind that they may be new players or diplomats who don't want to register, or do not have much experience about using the forum, whereas they know how to communicate over NS.

We could try some alternative styling, for instance,

Mousebumples | NS

Or we could use an icon, either as superscript or with a separator:

Mousebumples | [icon]globe[/icon]
Mousebumples | [icon]flag[/icon]

Mousebumples[icon]globe[/icon]
Mousebumples[icon]flag[/icon]
Any more thoughts on this?

I do see the concern with this. It makes the drop down very "busy." I'm not as sure as r3n that a link to the nation adds value. One someone is on the forum and has found the header, which includes a link to the official's profile (and hence a PM link), is a link to the gameside nation that valuable?

Even if some would like it, do we want to encourage it? I know some people don't check their nations often, but check PMs several times a day.

Just something that I noticed but when I press on the government tab it opens up a Google spreadsheet, is it meant to do this? I haven't noticed it before.

Yes. That is the spreadsheet that seeds the header. R3n introduced it a little while ago. It makes updating the header easier.

Malashaan said:
I do see the concern with this. It makes the drop down very "busy." I'm not as sure as r3n that a link to the nation adds value. One someone is on the forum and has found the header, which includes a link to the official's profile (and hence a PM link), is a link to the gameside nation that valuable?

Even if some would like it, do we want to encourage it? I know some people don't check their nations often, but check PMs several times a day.
I disagree about the value of links to NS nations.

Many people arrive at the forum simply by following the various gameside links (be it from the WFE or the telegrams). After taking a look around, they may decide they are not willing to commit the time to register yet, which means they won't have PM access. Even if they do decide to register, they will still not have PM access, until they are masked as citizens or non-voting members.

It is very likely that all of these people, and especially those in the first group, will have questions, seek help, ask for more information, and so on. For all these members, having a list showing them how to access officials in-game is very valuable.

Regarding the drop-down being busy, I don't think it is that bad with the current layout, with the superscripts. If we change it to use a separator, it will become worse.

I personally think the superscript just looks bad and I'm not sure it's apparent that the superscript is it's own link or what it's there for. If we want NS links; it's better to have the separator. Overall though I think Mal is right. I don't think we want to give or encourage Ns contact because we are inevitably sending people to accounts that no one will respond to. If needed most people list their nation name in their profile and we could encourage those willing to be contacted through NS to make that field a link to their nation. Also many people have even more contact info like Skype on their profile that would be even more helpful than NS honestly.

I've made a large set of changes to the header.
First, the "Laws" link is now a drop-down menu, providing a list of all laws.

The list is pulled directly from the regular law index, and therefore is automatically updated when the law index changes. The headings for letters in the alphabetized listing are pruned, to avoid making the menu excessively long.

This is an experimental change. I am hoping that the laws drop-down will allow faster access to various acts. But if people don't think it's useful, and especially if it creates any problems, I will revert the change.
The second change relates to this:
Karkemo said:
Now I can't view it on mobile because it it's a link. D:

Anyways, good work! I was kinda confused when I saw "NS" after each govt. official. :p
I have now made all of the fields with drop-down menus point to "#", i.e., they do nothing. This is to allow users from mobile phones or tablets to view the drop-down menus by tapping on the link.

Additionally, this is to make sure that new members quickly realize that these links are primarily meant to be used for the drop-down menus. In the past, someone clicking the link very rapidly could completely miss the drop-down menu.

I have moved the actual hyperlinks inside the drop-down menus. For instance, if you want to go to the EBC Wire thread, you can click on the "Archive" link contained in the "News" drop-down menu. If you want to go to the government registry, you need to click on the corresponding link in the "Government" drop-down menu, and so on.
Third, I added a small [icon]angle-down[/icon] to all links that correspond to drop-down menus. This should serve as a visual indicator of their special nature.
Fourth and last, I've rearranged the links.

All drop-down menu links are now grouped to the left. "Discord" and "Radio" have been bumped ahead of "IRC" and "Skype", right after the end of the drop-down-menu links, due to their importance.
Comments and feedback on all of the above are welcome.

I said this on Discord, but I'll say it again: even as a non Senator (and infrequent regional legislator, period), I use the Law Index plenty, and I'm sure I'll find the drop down to be helpful. *thumbs up*

The "News" drop down now leads to Active Topics instead of the Wire? I liked it better when it led to the Wire. The "Archive" link next to it is less handy, to me. Of course, I am biased because I always click the News dropdown. :p

Calvin Coolidge said:
The "News" drop down now leads to Active Topics instead of the Wire? I liked it better when it led to the Wire. The "Archive" link next to it is less handy, to me. Of course, I am biased because I always click the News dropdown. :p
No, the "News" drop-down leads nowhere - you stay where you are.

The "Archive" link leads to where "News" used to link, i.e., to the Wire.

This is necessary for the reason described in "Second" in my previous post, to allow mobile/tablet users to be able to view the drop-down menus through tapping. Because of this, the "Region", "Government", and "News" links have been moved inside the corresponding drop-down menus.

Back