Golden Ticket: Which Demographic Pairing Had the Most Success in the Executive Split Era?

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Earlier this week during a broadcast on the looming Presidential race, the panel, including myself, was discussing various potential Vice Presidential picks for various candidates, and I mentioned that almost every pairing, broken down via demographics, has worked in the past. After the broadcast ended, however, I started wondering if that was true. Was there a certain pairing that has had more success than others? Are there some pairings that have never been successful? I set out to answer these questions, but quickly found the work to be monumental and wide-ranging, so I have broken down my analysis into two parts, and am now launching a new series of articles to join the already ongoing series of articles on Honoured Citizens. Maybe if I do enough of these I could make my own table of contents thread. Enough about that, though, you didn't open this article to get my take on newspaper organization. No, you came here to answer the question, "What makes the best ticket in the executive split era?" and now I will begin to deliver.

Let's start with the basics: what's a ticket in the executive era? Any pairing of First Minister/Second Minister (or Deputy First Minister) and Chief of State/Vice Chief of State (or Deputy Chief of State). There will be no analysis of President/Vice President tickets in this article, that'll be in another installment of the series. Next, what does "the best" mean? For the purposes of this article I'm defining "the best" as "has won the most elections". So, if a demographic pair has come close to winning in multiple races I'm sorry, but those efforts, although admirable, won't cut it here.

To further lay out the basics, there have been thirteen successful tickets elected in the executive split era; eight of them on the First Minister side and five for the Chief of State. Here they are in chronological order:
  • Rand/GraVandius (FM)
  • Lloenflys/Sopo (FM)
  • Kuramia/Aexnidaral (CoS)
  • Pichtonia/Whitmark (FM)
  • Prim/UPC (CoS)
  • Pichtonia/Astrellan (FM)
  • HEM/Pichtonia (CoS)
  • Calvin Coolidge/Dakota [formerly Rachael] (FM)
  • Maowi/Sopo (FM)
  • Pichtonia/Aexnidaral (CoS)
  • Istillian/Hezekon (FM)
  • Malashaan/Dax (CoS)
  • McEntire/Monkey (FM)
You may have noticed that I'm also not including any people who were replaced after their election in this listing. Since we are only talking about elections, it doesn't matter what happened after, unless that new ticket ran for election afterwards, such as Pichto and Astrellan. Sorry to disappoint you Dax/Istillian fans out there. Maybe next time.

Next, let's set up our demographic groups. I'm going to keep things fairly traditional with these groups and just divide things the way that most polls do. That gives us these demographic groups, which I have named for easy reference later on:
  • Less than 3 months in the region(< 90 Days): Baby
  • 3 - 6 months (90 - 180 Days): Newcomer
  • 6 months - 1 year (181 - 365 Days) : Youthful
  • 1 - 2 years (366 - 730 Days): Middle
  • 2 - 5 years (731 - 1825 Days): Old
  • More than 5 years (> 1825 Days): Ancient
For clarity's sake, I will be calculating the time each person has spent in the region since their first active* citizenship application right up until the first day of the election. I say the first day to distinguish from both the day that the election ends, and from any runoffs.

*Active citizenship application meaning they applied for citizenship, then actually started participating in the region. Istillian and McEntire both obtained citizenship a few months before the date I used for them in this analysis, but quickly fell inactive, then applied again and remained active, so I'm using their second citizenship applications as their official day that they joined Europeia.

All right, with all of the basic set-up out of the way, let's dive into the data, beginning with the top of the ticket.
Split Era Demographics.jpeg
First Minister Demographics.jpeg
Chief of State Demographics.jpeg
Timeline
NameFirst Active CitizenshipTime in Region on Election DayElection Date/TypeNotes
RandJuly 19, 20151321 days (Old)March 1, 2019 (FM)First First Minister
LloenflysDecember 20, 2018134 days (Newcomer)May 3, 2019 (FM)Defeated Incumbent First Minister
KuramiaJuly 2, 20151405 days (Old)May 7, 2019 (CoS)First Chief of State, running for reelection after transitioning from the Presidency
PichtoniaApril 13, 20161178 days (Old)July 5, 2019 (FM)
PrimJanuary 3, 2018578 days (Middle)August 4, 2019 (CoS)
PichtoniaApril 13, 20161241 days (Old)September 6, 2019 (FM)Incumbent, running with new Deputy
HEMMarch 7, 20074627 (Ancient)November 5, 2019 (CoS)First contested Chief of State election
Calvin CoolidgeJuly 3, 20141964 days (Ancient)November 18, 2019 (FM)Election decided by the Senate after a tied runoff
MaowiJune 25, 2019220 days (Youthful)January 31, 2020 (FM)
PichtoniaApril 13, 20161391 days (Old)February 3, 2020 (CoS)First Deputy to win their own term
IstillianJuly 5, 2019281 days (Youthful)April 10, 2020 (FM)Incumbent Deputy from previous term, due to multiple resignations
MalashaanOctober 1, 20113138 days (Ancient)May 3, 2020 (CoS)
McEntireMarch 28, 20103737 days (Ancient)June 19, 2020 (FM)
A couple of things immediately stand out from this data. First, we see there are no leaders from the "Baby" group. This makes sense, given what we already know about how long it takes to become President/First Minister/Chief of State from this article from GraV's Europeian Research Institute. Big thank you to GraV, by the way for letting me see his data from that article during the writing of this article, it definitely saved me a lot of time. The next thing we should notice is that the vast majority of our leaders are either "Old" or "Ancient". This trend is present even when separating the data into First Ministers and Chiefs of State, though much more apparent with the latter, which has nobody in the "Newcomer" or "Youthful" categories.

Of course, that is only one half of the coin. Every ticket has a leader and a deputy, to help balance things. Let's look at the data for our deputies' demographics.
Split Era Deputy Demographics.jpeg
Second Minister Demographics.jpeg
Vice Chief of State Demographics.jpeg
Timeline
NameFirst Active CitizenshipTime in Region on Election DayElection Date/TypeNotes
GraVandiusJune 29, 20151341 days (Old)March 1, 2019 (FM)First Deputy First Minister (later renamed Second Minister)
SopoDecember 31, 20093410 (Ancient)May 3, 2019 (FM)Defeated Incumbent First Minister
AexnidaralMarch 29, 20103326 days (Ancient)May 7, 2019 (CoS)First Elected Deputy Chief of State
WhitmarkFebruary 21, 2018499 days (Middle)July 5, 2019 (FM)
UPCApril 10, 2019116 days (Newcomer)August 4, 2019 (CoS)
AstrellanMarch 11, 2019179 days (Newcomer)September 6, 2019 (FM)Incumbent, running for first full term after being swapped in during the previous term
PichtoniaApril 13, 20161302 (Old)November 5, 2019 (CoS)First contested Chief of State election
DakotaDecember 30, 2017688 days (Middle)November 18, 2019 (FM)Election decided by the Senate after a tied runoff
SopoDecember 31, 20093683 days (Ancient)January 31, 2020 (FM)First Deputy to win two non-consecutive terms
AexnidaralMarch 29, 20103598 days (Ancient)February 3, 2020 (CoS)
HezekonMarch 17, 2019391 days (Middle)April 10, 2020 (FM)
DaxDecember 29, 2018492 days (Middle)May 3, 2020 (CoS)
MonkeyJanuary 6, 20171260 days (Old)June 19, 2020 (FM)
The data here paints a surprisingly similar picture to the last set. We see once again that there are no "Baby" representatives, as well as the fact that the vast majority of Deputies are "Old" or "Ancient". Of course, "Middle" puts up a much better showing this time around, at the cost of "Youthful", so if anything we see these Deputies are, on average, slightly older than the tops of the ticket, both as Second Minister and Vice Chief of State. With all of these tickets and their older candidates, it begs the question: which ticket is the oldest?

Forgive me for this brief sidetrack, but we have the data to answer this question right now, so I'm going to do it, and return to the main point of this article right after. To determine which ticket is the oldest, there are a few ways we could go about this. We could simply add the days on the forum together and compare that way, but HEM simply has too many days here and it would throw everything off. No, the way I'm going to answer this question is by looking at things through our handy-dandy demographic groups. I will assign each group a number of points (Newcomer has 1, Youthful has 2, etc.) and then add those points up. That way, HEM, the oldest Ancient, is worth the same amount of points as me, the youngest Ancient, and we can look at these tickets on a relatively even playing field. Okay, let's add up those points and see how our tickets measure up.
Every Split Era Ticket by Demographic.jpeg
That order, since some of the names are cut off, looks like this: Prim/UPC, Pichto/Astrellan, Ist/Hez, Lloen/Sopo, Pichto/Whitmark, Maowi/Sopo, Rand/GraV, Calvin/Dakota, Malashaan/Dax, Kuramia/Aex, HEM/Pichto, Pichto/Aex, and McEntire/Monkey.

Our "youngest" ticket is therefore Prim/UPC with 4 points, while our "oldest" ticket is a four-way tie between Kuramia/Aex, HEM/Pichto, Pichto/Aex, and McEntire/Monkey, each with 9 points.

Does this tell us anything? Not directly, no, but it actually wasn't a total sidetrack, either. This leads us into the final data I'm going to examine in this article: what demographic pairs have had the most success, and which have had the least? We can already see that the tickets almost all skew on the older side of things, but let's just put it all into numbers to see if there's anything else interesting to pull from this data. Now I will present each possible pairing of the 5 demographic groups we've been working with during this article, and sort each ticket accordingly. And remember, order matters. Here we go!
Newcomer/Newcomer

Newcomer/Youthful

Newcomer/Middle

Newcomer/Old

Newcomer/Ancient

Lloenflys/Sopo (FM)

Youthful/Newcomer

Youthful/Youthful

Youthful/Middle

Istillian/Hezekon (FM)

Youthful/Old

Youthful/Ancient

Maowi/Sopo (FM)

Middle/Newcomer
Prim/UPC (CoS)

Middle/Youthful

Middle/Middle

Middle/Old

Middle/Ancient

Old/Newcomer

Pichtonia/Astrellan (FM)

Old/Youthful

Old/Middle

Pichtonia/Whitmark (FM)

Old/Old
Rand/GraVandius (FM)

Old/Ancient
Kuramia/Aexnidaral (CoS)
Pichtonia/Aexnidaral (CoS)

Ancient/Newcomer

Ancient/Youthful

Ancient/Middle

Calvin Coolidge/Dakota (FM)
Malashaan/Dax (CoS)

Ancient/Old
HEM/Pichtonia (CoS)
McEntire/Monkey (FM)

Ancient/Ancient
All right, there's a lot to look at here, so I want to narrow things down right away. Look at "Newcomer" and "Youthful" as one group: "Newer", and look at "Old" and "Ancient" as one group: "Older". Looking at the list that way we can see some trends. Namely, it is very rare for the "Newer" group to double down on "Newer". In fact, no winning ticket has done it. Some have come close with "Newer" and "Middle", but none have done "Newer" with "Newer". On the flip side, "Older" doubles down on "Older" all the time. There are 5 tickets that have some pairing of "Old" and "Ancient", with one even having two "Old"! It seems that there is such a thing as too old, however, as there haven't been any successful pairings of "Ancient/Ancient". Middle is left on its own without much to analyze, but it almost always pairs with "Old", only once successfully pairing with "Newer". This confirms what we've seen so far in this article, that the "Older" demographics have more success in general, and a lot more flexibility about who they can pair with, while "Newer" has to rely on "Older" almost every time.

Taking all of this data together, I think we can walk away with the answers to our questions from the start of the article. Was there a certain pairing that has had more success than others? Yes, pairings with older members. Are there some pairings that have never been successful? Yes, any pair without an older member, as well as any pairing with two extremely older members. And there you have it. In my next, and likely final, installment in this series, I will examine the winning tickets before the Split Era to see if these trends are new, or merely continuing from what the previous system had already established. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, available for campaign consultation.

I love that you did this. I listened to the radio show the day after and thought to myself this would be really interesting to have data on. Thank you!! The next set of data (huge task!) will also be fascinating and I'm curious to see how newcomer tickets do with a wider time frame. I thought they'd do a little better, at least, although I can't think of one off of the top of my head for the Presidential Era either.

This is pretty interesting as a data set. I would think that over the old Presidential system we would have less newcomers and more youthful candidates in comparison to the split system. I look forward to the next article not only for how it helps awnser this question but because as far as I know there isn’t any record whatsoever of all the Vice-Presidents, even just the ones in recent memory. That’ll evidently be good data to have.

Anyway, great article Calvin, very interesting!

The coloring for the combined tickets (FM black and CoS grey) are a little mismatched, but otherwise a fun article to read!

Prim and UPC youngest ticket! We ran unopposed though, so we weren't technically elected by anyone.

Interesting article, Calvin!

On a different note, no idea I could now be considered as "old". Quickly approaching the "Ancient" category. :p

The coloring for the combined tickets (FM black and CoS grey) are a little mismatched, but otherwise a fun article to read!
Thanks for pointing this out! This was the last graph I made at the end of a long process, so I'm not surprised that I missed it. For those who care, it seems as if the website I was using to make the charts didn't keep the colors with each ticket as I shifted them from chronological to ascending order, meaning everything got jumbled. To make things easier I just made the colors random. Unfortunately that means there's no easy way to distinguish FM and CoS tickets on that graph, but it's certainly better than confusing people.

I'm glad you collected and analysed this data, and I'm very interested in seeing how it compares with the P/VP numbers. Thanks Calvin!

After listening to the show I was wondering some of the same questions, so thank you for putting this together Calvin! I do wonder if this has paved the way for more youthful Europeians to achieve higher office in the future, and I'm fascinated with how my own ticket was placed here in a somewhat middle ground category.

Interesting and expansive article! If Pichto was just a little younger we could've been the lowest point ticket on the board ;-;

Back