Framing the Narrative: Politics, Warfare, and the Gameplay Community

Kazaman

Cabinet
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Discord Moderator
Framing the Narrative: Politics, Warfare, and the Gameplay Community
Written By: Kazaman

Note: This article was planned and written prior to the publication of the EuroWeekly article, "The Concerning Rise of Defenderism." Similarities in theme are a reflection of whatever has recently been added to the water in Arnhelm.

It’s sometimes too easy, when faced with a complex issue, to speak in terms of two opposites to lend credence to a breezy solution. About ten years ago, when talk of official Independence began, Oliver and NES criticised the Raider/Defender spectrum. In a famous post on the NationStates Gameplay forum, Oliver wrote:

As I've said before, a little ideology can be a dangerous thing. I've also already linked the Defenders and the Invaders to the Vorlons and the Shadows [he was making an analogy with Babylon 5 -Kaz]; both representing the two major ideologies and superpowers of their two universes. The neutral group, which is composed of those true neutrals who don't want to be a part of the game, and another group I'm driving towards, have been said to represent the other races, caught in between. I even suggested that the neutral group might some day rise up, and tell the Defenders and the Invaders that we didn't need either of them anymore.

I recounted the Vorlon maxim, that understanding is a three-edged sword, and described it as being somewhat between the two extremes. I think, though, that while Defenders and Invaders inhabit one spectrum, the neutral group has two points, for the ease of understanding we'll say that one is above the Defender/Invader line, and the other is below. [...]

The one above, I choose to call Independent.

The goal here was both descriptive and political. The analysis of NationStates politics in terms of Raiders, Defenders, and “in betweens” had not adequately explained the course of NS history or the shape of contemporary politics. Thinking of warfare or diplomacy in terms of Raiders and Defenders acting out archetypes abstracts away from the motivations and concerns of the specific actors and the shifting circumstances that they have to take into account when they make decisions. That much is true, but the issue isn’t merely academic. These distortions of events have been used as a cudgel by propagandists to poison the well and discredit their political rivals.

Consider what happened last week during discussions about Commend King HEM. The newly minted Partnership for Sovereignty, in their official statement, said:

The Commendation credits King HEM for developing the ideology of Independentism, which, as practiced by Europeia, is a smokescreen for wanton disregard for the autonomy of other regions. Hiding these dangerous and destructive practices under an [sic] faux ideology of regional interests is readily apparent when Europeia has not engaged in any liberations or defenses of non-allies in recent memory.

Here, the PfS implicitly rejects any conception of regional politics that tries to escape the Raider/Defender spectrum. Europeia’s attempt to charts its own path according to its self-determined interests is a “smokescreen.” Official Independence is misinformation meant to protect and advance Raider objectives. The PfS can’t say that Europeia hasn’t conducted any recent defensive operations, so they add the little but hardworking modifier, “of non-allies.” Rather than engage with the views of their political rivals, the regions within the PfS ignore all argument and policy and focus instead on maintaining their frame: our friends are Defenders, our enemies are Raiders.

The North Pacific’s quorum raid dispute with The South Pacific saw similar rhetoric. Take Unibot’s response to Europeia’s statement:

For years now, Europeia has been championing every possible way to justify invading regions, whether they’re fascist or not, as an anti-fascist initiative and chiding defenders for “siding with fascism.” It’s gross, empty political posturing: independentists trying to justify their raids with a faux moral cause.

Again there are accusations of deceit. This time, it’s Europeia’s concerns about fascism that are supposedly a front for promoting Raider activity.

These examples are recent, but the rhetoric is spent and tired. Common to most instances is a simple but mistaken premise: all raids must be motivated by Raider disrespect for regional natives. Reasonable minds can’t differ about the morality of raiding, and honest people don’t ask questions about what it means for regions to hold and exercise sovereignty.

It’s striking that Defender attacks on Independence have hardly changed in the past decade. Defenders pretend they still live in a world where their main opposition are Raiders who do what they do because it’s fun, and who insist that natives should simply care less about the game if they get upset. In the past, Raiders would often say that the most active and successful players have a right to assert themselves and seek power as part of enjoying the game. That “might makes right” attitude was what Defender ideology was born to counter in the earliest years of NationStates.

But the landscape has changed. Rhetoric about power for fun’s sake has whittled down to rhetoric about fun for fun’s sake, and in a much narrower scope at that. The impact of Raider operations has declined: occupations are temporary shows of force done in a spirit of sportsmanship, while ejections of natives are done sparingly to get a response from Defenders and make the occupation more exciting. Why have things changed in this manner?

One reason is the rise of Independence. Many of the world’s competent militaries today are Independent or otherwise unaligned, partly vindicating Oliver’s prediction in 2011. This has somewhat crowded out the Raider scene, leading them to moderate their policy in order to have viable military partnerships with other regions.

The moderations have been significant. We focus more on Defender opposition to Independence (rightly, since Defenders are still a major political presence), but it’s good to remember that Raiders were once just as vitriolic. Following the liberation of Feudal Japan in September, 2009 from two years of oppressive occupation by The Blades of Conquest, President Pope Lexus X said:

We are not defenders by trade or by nature, but we are a region of integrity and it is because of this that we decided that the occupying forces in Feudal Japan had gone too far.

Independence hadn’t been formulated explicitly at that point, but Europeia and another region, The Commonwealth, pursued a kind of proto-Independence in their foreign policy. Rather than viewing all raids as morally indistinguishable (either all good or all bad), and rather than viewing raiding as a core part of their identity, those regions varied in their reasons for conducting different sorts of raids.

The Raider response to Feudal Japan, as well as a smaller intervention by The Commonwealth in Iran, was desperate and deranged. It’s worth looking at it briefly to show just how wrong Defenders are to paint all raiding activity with the same brush. The perfect example of this was an RMB post in Iran, October, 2009, by a DEN splinter member (quoted here in full as a screenshot, because otherwise I doubt it would be believable or make the right impact):

Antipathy toward the NationStates mods, and conspiracies about Defender-Mod psyops, would continue prominently until 2016. After the Predator scandal of that year, dozens of Raiders were permanently banned from the game for using an illegal script to select and tag targets. Regions which had been leaning or nominally Raider before were now considering other options. The Raider organisations that remained had low morale, reduced personnel, and an identity crisis. How could they separate themselves from the rule breakers?

The solution was to create the scene we see today: circumscribed operational practices and more proactive diplomacy with the wider NationStates world. No more bared teeth and snarls: they filed them down and started shaking hands.

These changes have been welcome. They have made the game a safer place while enriching the political lives of many regions by introducing new, robust ideological stances to the world. Another trend, though, poses new threats to regional self-determination: the rise of the Gameplay community.

After the decline of Raider ideology, there was a gradual rebranding of raiding as a fun, inconsequential game. This owes something to the earlier Raider belief that activity and the enjoyment of power were ends in themselves, but has a decidedly social rather than political emphasis. Raiding today is about bringing a group of friends together, not about expressing a personal right to power. Even some Defender militaries have begun to view chasing and liberations as more competitive sport than political action, although ideological Defenders still hold most of the power.

The new state of affairs poses problems for Raiders, Defenders, and Independent regions alike. Defender leaders would be right to worry about the attitudes of future citizens. Will they maintain their past strong moral stance, or will their own ideology become as watered down as contemporary Raiders? Maybe this partly explains the push to build a more visible ideological coalition with the Partnership for Sovereignty. On the other hand, Defender diplomats and intelligence officers are able to exploit Raiders’ investment in the Gameplay community. There is an incentive for Raiders to ignore any slights that are “in character” and deemphasise the impact of subversive Defender activities on their operations, in order to maintain position and popularity in different Discord and forum communities. Independents, meanwhile, may find themselves with a citizenry that doesn’t keenly identify with “regional interests,” and which sees little point in taking clear, principled stances on interregional politics.

It’s tempting to suggest the solution to all of this is just to return to pure politics, but that would be a mistake. If we can learn anything from the rise of Independence over the past decade, it should be that regional action should never be hemmed into a simplistic two-dimensional spectrum. The attempt to do that is itself an affront on the independence of sovereign regions. Any region today which attempted to remove itself completely from the Gameplay community would be starving itself of important allies and resources. The playing field in NationStates is rich enough to allow for creative solutions to this problem, solutions which adapt our political projects to the social realities of the day with a keen eye to promoting our interests. It’s up to us collectively to bring those solutions to life.

I have recently learned about this change in Raiding so it really is interesting to read about it more in-depth! It is interesting how Defenders did have way more of a "moral advantage" earlier, but now most of this "moral advantage" is propaganda of Raiding being super evil. It seems like some Defenders are still stuck in 2007. Loved this article, Kaz!

Both this and Lime's article have been pretty educational to me, in sort of having recent events summed up along with takes on them (and of course this article's historical element too). Sometimes people will tell me things and it doesn't stick, in one ear out the other kind of thing. I can be sure to remember this though!

Thank you for this well-written and insightful article Kaza. I'm very much in the dark as to what will happen in the future, but an article like this makes me confident that we are capable of taking an actual reasonable and solid stance on the issue despite all the social pressures surrounding it. It's refreshing to finally see more nuance than "fenda bad" or "raider bad" and instead look at things that actually make people happy, which is the social and more nuanced political aspects of it. I hope that everyone reads an article like this before they start writing something themselves or blurting out things in discord servers about military stances. A great article from a great mind!

This is a great read and the historical context provided really helps one to understand the situation in a fuller light. It also makes me think of JayDee's recent article in NSToday. As we see the relevance of Raiderism/Defenderism fade, perhaps the cosmopolitan/regionalist divide will grow stronger and supplant it as the more prevalent ideological issue. The major players of Defenderism clearly have nothing to stand on if they have to resort to misinformation in the way that we've seen. I just hope that this new dichotomy will not see Independent allies develop rifts between themselves.

Wow, thank you very much for this Kaz! It's difficult sometimes to get a coherent idea of this kind of historical sequence of events from scattered NSGP posts with little context or clarification, so I found this extremely interesting and informative. I think I've heard a lot of comments from older players in the forums with a sense of nostalgia/longing for the times before this rise in more social gameplay, so it's refreshing to hear your remarkably clearly-expressed and reasoned perspective on that issue and how we should move into the future.

This is some of that good good, that funky chunky.
Honestly, it's interesting to hear how the military gameplay developed because it gives context to the current state of affairs. Thank you for this wonderful article!

You know I'm a sucker for any article that mentions the Commonwealth. Those were more chaotic days, to be sure.
Here, the PfS implicitly rejects any conception of regional politics that tries to escape the Raider/Defender spectrum. Europeia’s attempt to charts its own path according to its self-determined interests is a “smokescreen.” Official Independence is misinformation meant to protect and advance Raider objectives. The PfS can’t say that Europeia hasn’t conducted any recent defensive operations, so they add the little but hardworking modifier, “of non-allies.” Rather than engage with the views of their political rivals, the regions within the PfS ignore all argument and policy and focus instead on maintaining their frame: our friends are Defenders, our enemies are Raiders.
Is it an important distinction to say "of non-allies"? You seem to take it as given in this article that it is not an important distinction, but is it? After all, if we strictly raid "for fun" but will conduct defensive operations if our allies are in jeopardy, certainly that would mean that the primary objective of our military is raiding but that defensive operations are the exception. To me, that would say that they may have a point. Independence meaning that we are "pursuing our interests", but those interests involve upkeep of our historical alliances, which will always include predominantly "raider" or imperialist regions. Therefore, independence would be something of a smokescreen to give us flexibility and deniability.

I am not saying that this is true, I am saying that I don't understand how your above statement actually rebuts their claim. And if the flexibility and deniability is our goal but we just can't say so, I understand that as well.
Reasonable minds can’t differ about the morality of raiding, and honest people don’t ask questions about what it means for regions to hold and exercise sovereignty.
Again, I am having a bit of a wrestle with this one. Because it seems a strawman. We are attacking their ability to have debate. We are claiming a sort of "cancel culture" perpetrated by the defenders, which actually shuts down debate rather than sparks it. I see much less of those questions being asked, or the morality being picked apart. It does seem a bit that our policy has been to side-step those questions.
while ejections of natives are done sparingly to get a response from Defenders and make the occupation more exciting.
For instance, this sticks out to me as something that's a throwaway line, but not something I want the ERN doing on my behalf as a citizen. If, as you say, the point is to provoke. Do we have any kind of formalized list of principles or code of military ethics?

For instance, this sticks out to me as something that's a throwaway line, but not something I want the ERN doing on my behalf as a citizen. If, as you say, the point is to provoke. Do we have any kind of formalized list of principles or code of military ethics?
We have since maybe 2010, yes. It's been updated through the years, though maybe not as often as it should be.

To this point, since I have been in the ERN we have not participated in an operation that ejected natives that wasn't a fash bash. While the GA has the option to do so we have not, at least recently. As for part two there is a list of policies in a protected ERN subfourm.

We have since maybe 2010, yes. It's been updated through the years, though maybe not as often as it should be.

To this point, since I have been in the ERN we have not participated in an operation that ejected natives that wasn't a fash bash. While the GA has the option to do so we have not, at least recently. As for part two there is a list of policies in a protected ERN subfourm.
Thank you both for these helpful answers.

To be clear, I was describing the practices of contemporary Raider orgs. Europeia and the ERN are not Raider.

Now that I'm on my laptop I can reply to this properly.

Is it an important distinction to say "of non-allies"? You seem to take it as given in this article that it is not an important distinction, but is it? After all, if we strictly raid "for fun" but will conduct defensive operations if our allies are in jeopardy, certainly that would mean that the primary objective of our military is raiding but that defensive operations are the exception. To me, that would say that they may have a point. Independence meaning that we are "pursuing our interests", but those interests involve upkeep of our historical alliances, which will always include predominantly "raider" or imperialist regions. Therefore, independence would be something of a smokescreen to give us flexibility and deniability.

I don't think it's an important distinction, no, but it does important work for the PfS slant, specifically making it seem that we don't "really" defend if we don't go out of our way to help with the broad range of operations Defenders think we ought to do.

Again, I am having a bit of a wrestle with this one. Because it seems a strawman. We are attacking their ability to have debate. We are claiming a sort of "cancel culture" perpetrated by the defenders, which actually shuts down debate rather than sparks it. I see much less of those questions being asked, or the morality being picked apart. It does seem a bit that our policy has been to side-step those questions.

I think if you look at the relevant discussions in the Gameplay forum, you'll see lots of Defenders shutting down debate rather than engaging in it.

I do think that the rhetoric of Independence has placed too much emphasis on shooing aside moral considerations, and has often used awkward and clumsy language to differentiate between IR realism and moralism. That's why I've sometimes come across as critical of Independence, despite clearly (I hope) sharing most of its outlook and concerns.

Back