Forum icon upgrade and new BBtag [ongoing]

It looks clean and well-done, but not sure if I like it. I'll let it acclimate for a few days then see what I think.

r3naissanc3r said:
I've also shrunk the header, in all skins. Good, bad?
BAD :angry: :( :( :angry:

The smaller header certainly isn't growing on me...

I liked the bigger version.

I hate the smaller version on my phone. I can't easily read the republic if Europeia part without zooming in.

I don't mind it on my desktop, but it's not great for visibility on mobile devices. I mean, I know what everything says since I've been here before, but it doesn't work out that great on mobile devices.

You don't really need to be able to read "Republic of Europeia" on mobile devices. It's more important that the screen space wasted on the header is reduced. But that'll be better accommodated with a dedicated mobile theme.

I've restored the header to its original size.

Any comments on the other icons? I'll be looking to finalize the upgrade on all skins by the end of next weekend.

r3naissanc3r said:
You don't really need to be able to read "Republic of Europeia" on mobile devices. It's more important that the screen space wasted on the header is reduced. But that'll be better accommodated with a dedicated mobile theme.

I've restored the header to its original size.

Any comments on the other icons? I'll be looking to finalize the upgrade on all skins by the end of next weekend.

The new topic images were difficult to get used to, but they are growing on me.

For those, besides replacing the icons themselves, I am not 100% set on the theme. If you have any suggestions, e.g., different color combinations, let me know.

I'm conflicted on the new thread activity icons. they are nice and simplistic, but I'm not sure they work thematically with our current theme, at least with euro bright.

Aye, as I said in my previous post, I am also not sure about them.

I think there are two issues: 1) the icons for threads with no new activity are visually too salient due to their high contrast with the background; 2) the orange color for threads with new posts does not work with the theme.

A possible third issue is the size of the icons - they are much smaller compared to the old ones. I can't tell whether it's just a matter of getting used to the scale, or whether they actually need to be made bigger to fit with the rest of the forum.

I tried EuroBright to test the new icons, and my brain kept going "No, No, No! What are you doing?" Because I don't like EuroBright (too bright!) so it's hard to rationally analyze the new icons.

I am a creature of habit, though, I'll admit.

I wouldn't miss the new buttons/icons if we got rid of them. I neither love nor hate them (I use EuroBright btw).

Not sure if you intend on doing anything with the icons below each members avatar, but the Justice icons are so blurry they're practically illegible (and the neon green isn't helping either.) All the others are fine as they are. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Mousebumples said:
I tried EuroBright to test the new icons, and my brain kept going "No, No, No! What are you doing?" Because I don't like EuroBright (too bright!) so it's hard to rationally analyze the new icons.

I am a creature of habit, though, I'll admit.
I'll try to propagate the new icons to the classic theme so that people can provide some feedback there.

Lethen said:
I wouldn't miss the new buttons/icons if we got rid of them. I neither love nor hate them (I use EuroBright btw).
Do you mean all of them (e.g., including those in the edit/quote/etc buttons and header), or just those indicating thread activity when viewing a forum?

There are so far five sets of new images and icons:

1) SVG versions of identical pre-existing images. These include the header skyline, the forum statistics images (Euro flag, three bars, etc.), and the footer advertisements. These should be straightforward and are definitely staying.

2) New icons at top of the forum, next to "inbox", "preferences", etc., replacing similar older versions. As before, little difference visually in exchange for technical improvements, so definitely staying.

3) New icons in the third, colorful row of the header. I am ambivalent but the feedback so far has been mostly positive, so they are likely staying.

4) New icons in the "edit", "quote", "go to top" etc. buttons. These in turn fall into two sub-categories:
--- i. Replacements of near-identical older versions, e.g., the new versions of the PM envelope, and "go to top" arrow. Again, these are similar to and possibly better than the old versions, and offer technical improvements, so they are staying.
--- ii. New icons that didn't use to exist, e.g. those in "edit" and "quote", are new additions. Personally I am inclined to keep them, as I think they improve usability. If people don't like them, I won't mind ditching them.

5) New icons for thread activity when viewing the contents of a forum. These replace older icons, and are also considerably different in appearance. I am very disinclined to bring the old icons back, as that would mean that the icon upgrade would be incomplete. However, I am definitely not fond of the current form of the new version, and feedback from others also seems to be negative. I will work on improving the new icons - potentially by just making them look much more similar to the old ones.

TAC Saxton said:
Not sure if you intend on doing anything with the icons below each members avatar, but the Justice icons are so blurry they're practically illegible (and the neon green isn't helping either.) All the others are fine as they are. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I hope to replace those eventually, but that's a very long-term project - I've been meaning to deal with those for more than 2 years :p . Granted, I no longer have anything else to do in NS, but I also have much less time overall to spend on NS than I used to.

As a perk from setting up this new icon library I keep bothering you about, there is now a new BBtag: ICON.

Here is an example: [icon]check-circle[/icon] . This was produced using the code:
Code:
[icon]check-circle[/icon]
The general form is:
Code:
[icon]ICON_NAME[/icon]
where ICON_NAME can be any of the names listed in the Font Awesome collection.

Icons can be combined with other text styling tags, such as BIG and COLOR. Note, though, that underlining and italics have no effect on them.

Use of this BBtag is experimental. If we notice abuse (e.g., posts consisting of walls of icons instead of walls of text), we will disable it. Use responsibly.

Back