Forum icon upgrade and new BBtag [ongoing]

r3naissanc3r said:
I don't think we had a special icon. If we did make a separate one, it would probably have to be much higher than 2 stars, and arguably 5 stars. Notice that the Awards and Honours Act I cited above places Honoured Citizens first in the seniority list.
Considering this new information, I would suggest four stars. I don't think an Honored Citizen is quite on the level of the President or Supreme Chancellors, but definitely up there. A separate icon would definitely be good, so that (at a first glance) it's clear that they're more than just an ordinary citizen.

Out of curiosity, how many stars would a WA Delegate have? Doesn't really matter, but that wasn't mentioned above.

My instinct would be 4 stars, it's an important role, and in many ways a "head of branch," but the WAD is subservient to the President with regard to Security Council votes and the jurisdiction is very limited.

r3naissanc3r said:
As a perk from setting up this new icon library I keep bothering you about, there is now a new BBtag: ICON.

Here is an example: [icon]check-circle[/icon] . This was produced using the code:
Code:
[icon]check-circle[/icon]
The general form is:
Code:
[icon]ICON_NAME[/icon]
where ICON_NAME can be any of the names listed in the Font Awesome collection.

Icons can be combined with other text styling tags, such as BIG and COLOR. Note, though, that underlining and italics have no effect on them.

Use of this BBtag is experimental. If we notice abuse (e.g., posts consisting of walls of icons instead of walls of text), we will disable it. Use responsibly.
I updated the forum to use the newly-released version 4.4.0 of Font Awesome. Besides fixing some small annoying rendering issues, the new version brings several new icons that you can use through the ICON BBcode tag.

You can find a list of the new icons here: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/whats-new/

Quick question - the FontAwesome icons are all borked for me. I'm seeing a box with character inside of it which either means something is down (but since no one else has complained, probably not) or I'm inadvertently blacklisting some site that they should be coming from. I've whitelisted FontAwesome, Github, Fonticons, among other things over the past few minutes, but no dice.

Help?

After a bunch of troubleshooting with the awesome p3nguin, I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling NoScript, which was the culprit. It fixed my issue as an FYI for anyone else who may have the same problem.

r3naissanc3r said:
r3naissanc3r said:
As a perk from setting up this new icon library I keep bothering you about, there is now a new BBtag: ICON.

Here is an example: [icon]check-circle[/icon] . This was produced using the code:
Code:
The general form is:
Code:
[icon]ICON_NAME[/icon]

Icons can be combined with other text styling tags, such as BIG and COLOR. Note, though, that underlining and italics have no effect on them.

Use of this BBtag is experimental. If we notice abuse (e.g., posts consisting of walls of icons instead of walls of text), we will disable it. Use responsibly.
I updated the forum to use the newly-released version 4.4.0 of Font Awesome. Besides fixing some small annoying rendering issues, the new version brings several new icons that you can use through the ICON BBcode tag.

You can find a list of the new icons here: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/whats-new/
Updated to version 4.6.3. This means plenty of new icons: http://fontawesome.io/whats-new/

I also updated the code to move the FontAwesome CSS to a CDN instead of hosting it locally. This should make things a tiny bit faster. It also greatly simplifies the icon upgrade process.

r3naissanc3r said:
2) Nearly all of the forum images have been replaced vectorized versions. The only exceptions are usergroup title images (see next item), the radiant blue background in the classic skin, and the image with the three bars at the bottom of the forum. The latter two will be replaced soon.
These two images have now been replaced by SVG versions.

The calendar icon next to birthdays has also been redone to use SVG and the forum fonts. The javascript producing that icon has also been simplified.

I also killed a whole bunch of images that were unnecessarily loaded by the CSS of our various skins.

This leaves the radiant blue background of the classic skin and the usergroup pips as the only non-SVG images used by our skins. Unfortunately, the pips cannot be replaced by SVG versions due to a forum bug, so they'll have to remain as PNG files until the bug is fixed by ZB developers.

r3naissanc3r said:
This leaves the radiant blue background of the classic skin and the usergroup pips as the only non-SVG images used by our skins.
I ended up replacing that with a CSS gradient on an experimental basis. I think they look fairly similar, but I am not a classic user.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I don't know if it's still radiant, but the soothing blue is what appeals to me on Classic. This works for me.

(BTW, if we have a BB-tag request/change, is there a place to put that?)

Mousebumples said:
(BTW, if we have a BB-tag request/change, is there a place to put that?)
It should go to the regular admin request thread. If it's something technical that needs to be addressed by me, one of the other admins will let me know.

r3naissanc3r said:
r3naissanc3r said:
r3naissanc3r said:

Code:
The general form is:
Code:
[icon]ICON_NAME[/icon]

Updated to version 4.6.3. This means plenty of new icons: http://fontawesome.io/whats-new/

I also updated the code to move the FontAwesome CSS to a CDN instead of hosting it locally. This should make things a tiny bit faster. It also greatly simplifies the icon upgrade process.
Updated to version 4.7. New icons are shown here: http://fontawesome.io/icons/

[icon]handshake-o[/icon]

I was hoping for a discord icon in this version (it's the most upvoted suggestion on the FA github). Unfortunately, we'll need to wait longer for that.

Back