Forum Gameplan

Drecq said:
Lets try to get across that border. Maybe the next group to go tapatalk will be all boards under a million. And then under a billion. So we should aim to hit that target next. Get spamming people.
Aye matey, :pirate:

GraVandius said:
How are we doing with the forum transfer.
Darc was able to fix the glitch with the scrape, and a successful test scrape was conducted. The next problem is with the export of the data, and I have no timeline to report.

Worst case scenario, if we are converted to Tapatalk tomorrow, we will still have a (slightly outdated) scrape of the forum to use when the export function is fixed. Best case scenario, the export function is fixed soon, we shut down the forum as planned and conduct a final scrape, and that data makes its way onto our new forum.

Another Update:

Last night, many large forums made the conversion to Tapatalk—more and more, Europeia is becoming the exception.

Because of this, we are operating under the assumption that conversion is now imminent. We are currently running a second scrape of the forum to get the most up-to-date content. Should we convert before the scrape is complete, we still have our initial scrape a week back as a failsafe.

Darc has been working tirelessly to plug the holes on this conversion software. I know from many people's perspectives, it might seem like we are fiddling while Rome burns (converts to an awful software) but really Darc has been working his butt off to get things working. We are confident that whether we have a fully up-to-date version, or have a backup that is 99.8%, we will be able to recreate our forum's content on Xenforo.

Should the conversion happen prior to us having the transfer done—which is increasingly likely—we will do everything we can to make our Tapatalk forum usable for the interim. I implore folks to not give up on Europeia even while we have what is, needless to say, a pretty bad software.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Is there anything any of us can do to help prepare for the move so that when it does eventually come we can do it as quickly as possible? Or is this a "nothing to be done until its done and we see what needs to be done" situation?

Can we just do this, get it over with and sort out the bugs later? Even if we loose content in the scrape we still have this forum as an archive and this series of delays and "it'll happen this week" attitude has gone far and beyond a joke.

Kari said:
Can we just do this, get it over with and sort out the bugs later? Even if we loose content in the scrape we still have this forum as an archive and this series of delays and "it'll happen this week" attitude has gone far and beyond a joke.
You seem fundamentally confused about what is going on. That's totally okay, this is a confusing process, let me help you out:

The "bugs" are what is preventing us from moving the content from this forum to the new forum. It's not like we have the forum teed up with a few small errors here and there. We have no new forum.

I can understand being irritated. I am irritated! But the errors we encountered meant that there was no way to move forward. That's a fancy way of saying that we would be shit out of luck if Darcness hadn't committed himself to essentially rebuilding parts of the code up from the ground up.

With his current workload IRL, that was (and remains) a herculean effort.

Furthermore, there is nobody who has said "this will happen this week" in quite some time. Those timetables were given to the community based on timeframes we got from TNP who was initially helping us with the fix. Since Darcness took the process over, we haven't known the timeframe, but as I discussed on EBC Radio last night we are getting closer.

I'm not sure what else you want? If I had a magic wand, I would've used it already! Both to make the forum transfer, and to wave away people who seem to err on the side of acting like jerks for no reason! :p

Then maybe we should scrap the idea of the scraper altogether and just create a new forum from scratch. It has been done before and it would be infinitely more desirable than the purgatory we are currently stuck in.

Or maybe that's a dumb idea Kari that would be a significantly misguided action based on frustration.

A question I have however, is would it be possible to help out Darc? I mean I personally cannot code for shit but other members of the community might be of help?

Kari said:
Then maybe we should scrap the idea of the scraper altogether and just create a new forum from scratch. It has been done before and it would be infinitely more desirable than the purgatory we are currently stuck in.
If we were still 0% the way there I might agree, but since we’re probably about 80% there I think it’s worth sticking out.

We’ve seen a lot of progress over the last few days and I’m very optimistic. If anyone has experience with SQL feel free to reach out to Darc.

Since the scrape works and has been done, I imagine at worst, even if we go tapatalk right now, we lose a couple of days of posts and whatever time we need until it eventually does work, right? So its not like, even if tapatalk fucks us over right this second, we lose everything.

HEM said:
Kari said:
If we were still 0% the way there I might agree, but since we’re probably about 80% there I think it’s worth sticking out.

We’ve seen a lot of progress over the last few days and I’m very optimistic. If anyone has experience with SQL feel free to reach out to Darc.
I have full faith in Darcness. I just hope you can understand why this is so frustrating for the community that the specter of the big bad bogyman of Tapatalk has been hanging over us for months now with the full knowledge that we are going to wake up some morning and log on to find everything changed. Especially as despite the reassurances and full confidence of the admin team that there is work being done, we are seeing no results of this on the ground so to say.

Based off the posts in Eurochat last night is it correct to assume that a test with the older scrape went well and we can expect the full one very soon?

Back