Footer media buttons [completed]

r3naissanc3r

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
As you've likely noticed, there is now a set of media buttons at the forum footer, next to the copyright notices.

These buttons are meant to serve as quick links to all non-forum platforms that are related to Europeia. Unlike links in the header, they re-direct directly to those platforms, instead of versions of those platforms embedded in forum pages.

The design is inspired from similar media links that appear in the footers of many major websites. The colors and icons match the official colors and icons of the respective services, with the exception of mixlr and discord, whose icons are not available in our icon font.

All comments are welcome. These include comments on button appearance and suggestion about platforms to add or remove (we plan to add a green button for NS).

This change is experimental, and depending on the feedback we receive, we may change the appearance of the media buttons, or even completely remove them.

We are considering the following alternative designs for the footer media buttons. Please post below to indicate which version you prefer between the current and the four alternatives. (The screenshots include part of the forum above the footer for context; you can click on each image to see a higher-resolution version.)

In my opinion, I like the current design. You can see the social media buttons better and it is nice for them to have some color. But once again, keeping them small and dark blue could fit the Europeian theme better.

I like this a lot, but I like the alternative more. Something about how they blend with the telegram icons bothers my eyes.

I enjoy the, as Rand has stated, blending of the alternative.

I love this idea though! Thank you for implementing it!

Please keep the opinions coming!

Taking a fresh look at the footer after having been afk for several hours, I am inclined to agree with those saying that the currently installed design does not work well with the skin. The buttons are disproportionately large (I picked this size to make them match the stamp and telegram ads), and the bright colors make them stand out even more.

I've added a few more alternatives in the OP. Please let me know which you prefer.

I like 1 or 3 as I feel the buttons don't blend in when added before the stamps and telegram buttons and I like the division with the simple |,

I like alternatives 1 and 3. If the icons are text color, that's great and they fit perfectly. If they're smaller and next to the text, they still fit because of size. As it stands, the left side of the footer is too heavy. They should somehow work with the text - by color or by size (or both).

I like 1 for the bright skin. I like 3 and 4 for classic or dark.

Kuramia said:
I like 1 or 3 as I feel the buttons don't blend in when added before the stamps and telegram buttons and I like the division with the simple |,
I use Euro Classic, and I agree with Kura.

I think alternative 1 looks the smartest, but if you want to draw attention to the buttons then I'd go with 3. 2 and 4 make less sense to me as I don't think they should be in the same bracket as the stamp/telegram buttons.

I think they look a little cleaner coming before the "stamps" and "telegrams" button, but that's just me.

HEM said:
I think they look a little cleaner coming before the "stamps" and "telegrams" button, but that's just me.
Based on the responses so far, it's pretty much everyone, not just you :p .

I use Bright, and I think 1 would look best on it.

I think it is clear that the consensus is in favor of keeping the buttons small, to the left of the stamp/recruitment ads, and separated by a vertical bar.

It's not clear whether there is a strong preference for colors vs not. I am leaving the colors for now (simply because it takes less time not having to edit them out). Keep the posts coming about colors vs without.

I prefer the colours. The reason why is because the colours are part of the "signal" that there is a social media button there to press. A lot of our forum has been flattened straight to Europeia Blue and I'm worried that flattening these icons to Europeia Blue will reduce the obviousness of the links. We do not want that. We want people to use them.

Back