Flavorability: July '20

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

Last week 30 Europeians were polled on how they perceive the leading candidates for President, as established by the latest edition of The Europeian Citizen's Smokin' Poll.

As it turns out, quite shockingly, folks view all of these candidates rather favorably. There are differences though and this analysis will explore those differences as well as what might be behind them. Further editions of this series will determine whether or not this exercise is useful in the larger context of election coverage, given that very few of us actually hold truly unfavorable opinions of each other or, at the very least, are unwilling to voice those views. Let's get into it.

Lloenflys - Net Favorability: +100

Very favorable - 73.3%
Somewhat favorable - 26.7%
Somewhat unfavorable - 0%
Very unfavorable - 0%
Don't know/don't want to answer - 0%

-Lloen has excelled in every position he's been in and is a great person overall.
-Because he is a gud birb
-Only reason I wouldn't give a "very favorable" is if he chooses a "meh" running mate or winds up against an equally strong ticket. I also feel like picking a "very favorable" over other good candidates would mainly be motivated because Lloenflys being a "new and shiny" candidate for President.
-He's a nice individual with a lot of knowledge. Very friendly lad :)
-He's done a good job in the Senate certainly with mild success in the executive.
-They seem nice from my encounters with them.
-He's a great bird.
-I like him

Sopo - Net Favorability: +100

Very favorable - 70%
Somewhat favorable - 30%
Very unfavorable - 0%

-Same as Calvin: don't know much but like. Sopo Showpo is great!
-The fact that he is a manatee in a top hat pretending to be a sloth never bothered me
-Sopo puts in solid work, and he's got the motivation and time for any roles in my opinion. A Sopo Presidency now, when he's also gotten wiser and more experienced with NS age, would be exciting to see.
-Nice person, good work ethic, great ideas
-I liked their spamming skill.
-Sopo is always a good sport and few people bring as much joy to Europeia as consistently as he does.
-I like him

Calvin Coolidge - Net Favorability: +60

Very favorable - 43.3%
Somewhat favorable - 36.7%
Somewhat unfavorable - 13.3%
Very unfavorable - 6.7%

-I don't know Calvin that much but my impression is favourable. Great work in Radio also
-What a nice panda man
-Calvin is solid. Also, the proper combination of Calvin and Sopo is clearly SoCal, I don't know why this was not acknowledged on radio the other day.
-Can't shake the feeling that many times Calvin will have a stellar record in a job but then find a way to shoot himself in the foot. Still have the clear instance in mind of a widely-approved First Minister run that ended with a controversial EO over private voting. Calvin's got a knack for sticking around in Euro politics while consistently pushing or supporting bad ideas
-While he is a nice person, his political stances are a huge turn-off. He could be a good leader, but he will need to avoid disasters like EO 97 for me to vote for him.
-Great Radio Work, I wouldn't necessarily vote for him for President though regardless
-I like their panda.
-Calvin is generally a good guy but he has a habit of taking his more unpopular proposals and pushing them hard (e.g. the EO that was laughed off as an "attempt to restart the discussion" as if creating a new Law were the proper way to do that). He then portrays anyone who opposes his policies as overreacting. And his reaction to the opposition almost always consists of him shifting the goalposts or refusing to concede even obvious points. Socially a great person, but politically annoying and frequently harmful. And that does not even touch on the recent Arnhelm Committee proposal where he simply could not fathom that anyone would doubt the good intentions of a person, who had for most of the existence of Arnhelm advocated for its abolishment, because that person had had an 11th-hour change of heart.
-I don't agree with him on anything, but he's active

Istillian - Net Favorability: +80

Very favorable - 50%
Somewhat favorable - 33.3%
Somewhat unfavorable - 3.3%
Very unfavorable - 0%
Don't know/don't want to answer - 13.3%

-He's been a great First Minister. Much more important, he's an Aussie, how can my impression be not favourable? He's always nice to people
-You always appreciate a man who goes down under
-There isn't a neutral option so I went with "somewhat unfavorable." I liked Istillian as First Minister, but I'm tentatively unsure how they'd be as a President. Would depend on the platform and who they chose as a running mate.
-FM term really shone out at me.
-I don't really know them.
-I don't know them

Pichtonia - Net Favorability: +96.7

Very favorable - 70%
Somewhat favorable - 26.7%
Very unfavorable - 0%
Don't know/don't want to answer - 3.3%

-Also a great person and an example to everyone. I also heard his singing while browsing the radio showreels. Great!
-Pichtonia sounds like someone faking a german accent
-He's Pichto. Really good personality, great work, etc.
-Good leader, but doesn't take any risks. Too concerned about public perception to lead the charge on any issue that's not already popular.
-I know them, but I have never gotten to know them at all.
-I like him

Prim - Net Favorability: +66.7

Very favorable - 50%
Somewhat favorable - 33.3% 83.3-
Somewhat unfavorable - 13.3%
Very unfavorable - 3.3%

-Good person and a hard worker in all positions
-Making a communist our first president means we won't have to elect more than one ever
-Again no "neutral" option. Prim for President would be interesting, but it depends on platform and VP choice. Also I'd worry if Prim as President would get a bit of tunnel-vision. He certainly sticks to his guns, but there are times that Prim is late to the table when it comes to compromise.
-Sometimes a little bit harsh in tone, but he's like the kind but firm father lol
-Gets way too hot in debates. Hard worker, though.
-They were the best candidate for mayor.
-I like him

Kuramia - Net Favorability: +93.4

Very favorable - 66.7%
Somewhat favorable - 30%
Somewhat unfavorable - 3.3%
Very unfavorable - 0%

-All our interactions have been pleasant so far and frankly I can't imagine any other outcome. As for politics, much like Lloen, has been successful in every position, especially in FA
-A worshiper of Loki would *never* trick us, right? RIGHT?
-She's Kura. Everyone is satisfied with her.
-I have talked to them before. They seem very nice. Also, Monty Python is my favorite movie.
-I like her

McEntire - Net Favorability: +80

Very favorable - 40%
Somewhat favorable - 46.7%
Very unfavorable - 6.7%
Don't know/don't want to answer - 6.7%

-After reading his blog on the forums my impression couldn't be anything else
-Never heard of him. He might want to get some executive experience first.
-Comes off as a nice person.
-Term is going well so far and Interior was fine
-Need to see more.
-Don't know them at all. Seem nice.
-I don't know them

Malashaan - Net Favorability: +66.7

Very favorable - 46.7%
Somewhat favorable - 33.3%
Somewhat unfavorable - 10%
Very unfavorable - 3.3%
Don't know/don't want to answer - 6.7%

-I've never talked to Mal so purely based on Euro history
-Malashaan? More like PAL-ashan, right? Because he's nice...
-Not very visible as Chief of State
-Haven't interacted with him much.
-Excellent all around.
-You don't really hear much from him
-Wish he was around more, because he's the best person for almost any job when he's active.
-I don't know who this is.
-I like him

Takeaways

Frankly, it felt a bit icky to be speculating on why some respondents may not view some of these candidates as favorably as others without simply restating interesting comments. I'm going to leave it to each of you to draw your own conclusions there but I would encourage you to read the comments. While many of them aren't much help to us, there is some pretty insightful stuff in there.

What we do know is that both Lloen and Sopo are in this race and they are both juggernauts in terms of popularity, as is shown by our two polls so far this cycle. If both of them come into the standing period on their A-game, it appears Europeia is going to have one hell of a presidential election.

The overwhelming positive feelings towards all these names are unsurprising (and awesome), although some of the relative positions are slightly unexpected for me

Some of the comments have to be trolls right lol "never heard of [the incumbent FM] he should get some executive experience first" HMMMMM :thonk:

Some of the comments have to be trolls right lol "never heard of [the incumbent FM] he should get some executive experience first" HMMMMM :thonk:

No one in Euro would ever think to troll or joke in the comments.....smh nope don't think it could ever happen here....

Yeah, the "never heard of him" comments are strange to me, especially the fact that there are multiple. I am also highly surprised by the 100% favorability. I like you all too. :p

Oh these are interesting. Not terribly surprised by a lot of the more in depth comments, dry humor or troll comments about McEntire aside*

*also is that one comment being critical of Mac Facts? I loved that blog!

A nice look at the candidates, thanks CSP. Even though I've got my fair share of critics, at least they all admit I'm a good guy and do good work, they just don't agree with some of my stances. Not bad!

I'd say there's a lot of positives for pretty much everyone on here, whether they decide to run as President or Vice President - thanks for the polling and data CSP! My personal favourite response out of all of the comments has got to be this though:
PAL-ashan

Honestly the comments are golden. The McEntire one is funny af, but make sure you aren't missing this one about Ist, "-You always appreciate a man who goes down under." And don't forget that Sopo is a manatee and Pichto is a fake German.

Interesting results, I found the comments about Calvin very fascinating. Lloen vs Sopo should be tight based on these numbers. The VP choice could be very consequential.

Back