First Minister Election Discussion

Lime

Lime Green At Last
Associate Justice
Senator
Cabinet
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Watch out Jorts Report, there's a new team on the block! Today, Siph and I discussed the First Minister election, including the political implications of Cabinet picks, the Second Minister debate and the newly released EBC poll.

Lime: Based on the two extremes we’ve seen in the polling; I think it's probably going to be a very tight election.

Siph: Yep! There is a lot of "leans" I feel, from judging the waters in the debates. And it also seems that a lot of contention was Peeps for AG-- now it's Lloen again, could make it even tighter

Lime: Yeah definitely. Updating their section on dispatches was also smart. As was replacing Peeps, as cruel as that sounds!

Siph: Peeps was an interesting pick but definitely not for AG, should've been a justice first. And yes, a dispatches update could make it closer.

Lime: I think this shows why people don't release their Cabinet picks before being elected. It's just a liability and a risk that people won't vote for you, but if everyone else released their picks you kind of have no choice

Siph: McEntire doing so was a bold move, and forced the rest to do it, definitely raised the stakes and made Cabinet picks part of the contest. Perhaps aimed at Nate/Ervald? With Ervald being MWP and all.

Lime: Yeah, I think so. According to my poll, he needed to take some risks, but I think it was pretty much agreed he won the debate, so I'm still surprised he took that big a risk in releasing his picks. I expected Peeps to, but not him.

Siph: Speaking of the debate. Who do you think won the Second Minister debate? The EBC poll provided some interesting results.

Lime: Yeah, I was very surprised at that

Siph: I was really really surprised. Ervald held his own through multiple questions, I thought when Fori was digging his hole, he was building up Ervald too.

Lime: Yeah definitely. The only thing I can think is maybe people are thinking comparatively or based on expectations? Maybe people though Monkey did a lot better than they expected. Or they thought Ervald would destroy the other two, and instead he was very restrained?

Siph: That's true, I don’t think they expected a lot out of Monkey, and even though Ervald has no debate experience, I noticed there appears to be a mandela effect where multiple people thought he did. As such they over-critically analysed his responses and any small slip ups they saw as larger than ones from monkey

Lime: Yeah maybe. I mean Forilian was the only one to have a very poor performance. Yes, Monkey made mistakes, like asking questions that just allowed the others to talk about their experience and he didn't hit Ervald at all. However, his answers were good enough and he did hit Forilian well at the end.

Siph: Yeah, so I think it's an interesting one, objectively Ervald performed the best but based on expectations etc, more people were impressed by Monkey so that was probably at the forefront of their mind.

Lime: Yeah. Also, if most respondents are planning to vote for McEntire/Monkey they're likely going to think more critically about Ervald's performance and more positively about Monkey's.

Siph: That's true, very true!

Lime: I wonder how accurate the EBC poll is because my poll gave the opposite results although I did have 10 fewer respondents. Plus, with a strong GOTV campaign and changing some of those swing voters minds, Nate could still narrow that gap and win.

Siph: It is very dependent on how much Nate/Ervald do.

Lime: Definitely. If they're very proactive tomorrow, they likely have a chance. If not, McEntire probably wins this easily.

Siph: Yep. It's also interesting because we could get quite a few more voters than poll respondents

Lime: Yeah there's at least another 10 votes I reckon. A high turnout could even find another 15 maybe.

Siph: I've seen up to 50 too. There's been a lot of activity about this election, could be even 20+.

Lime: That would be amazing

Siph: I know right! Still a lot of uncertainty

Lime: Definitely. Based on the demographic support it looks like Nate might be in the better position to win the votes of those who didn't take the poll. Polls tend to be over-representative of older members who are strongly backing McEntire. Those who don't take polls tend to be newer and they seem to be leaning towards Nate

Siph: 100%, the large section of 5 years+ definitely stood out to me.

Lime: Makes tomorrow more exciting!

Siph: I completely agree!

Those who don't take polls tend to be newer and they seem to be leaning towards Nate

That isn’t what the data shows. The only group that is leaning Nate is the 2-4 year old group, which leans Nate 4-2. Otherwise, they’re all pretty tied. I do not agree with the notion that newer players are leaning towards Nate. Overall interesting article though!

Interesting conversation, the two of you! Thanks for taking the time to write it!

Siph: McEntire doing so was a bold move, and forced the rest to do it, definitely raised the stakes and made Cabinet picks part of the contest.

I'm still unsure about realeasing Cabinet nominations early, as all three tickets did. Maybe I'm alone with that though, and it'll be a trend that holds throughout the next elections. It certainly breathes some excitement and buzz into the race.

I'm still unsure about realeasing Cabinet nominations early, as all three tickets did. Maybe I'm alone with that though, and it'll be a trend that holds throughout the next elections. It certainly breathes some excitement and buzz into the race.
I think I remember the other tickets released after McEntire announced (perhaps on-air?) that they were going to do so. Regardless, I would support this being a trend; while perhaps it's not sensible to release the picks just after standing (people might decline, you might've not have found someone for every spot etc) having them done before the polls would be a trend I'd like to stick!

Yes, McEntire said on air that he’d release his Cabinet picks Wednesday.

Interesting conversation, the two of you! Thanks for taking the time to write it!

Siph: McEntire doing so was a bold move, and forced the rest to do it, definitely raised the stakes and made Cabinet picks part of the contest.

You're not alone. Elections should be about the candidate and their vision for the region. Politicizing the cabinet serves no one well in the long run.

You're not alone. Elections should be about the candidate and their vision for the region. Politicizing the cabinet serves no one well in the long run.
Just to clarify, I didn't see political advantage in doing this. I thought, with an abbreviated term, it would be better to get my Cabinet out early so that people knew what to expect and we can quickly crack on with confirmations once the term starts. I knew that my Cabinet was largely shared by the other candidates, so there's no political advantage in that.

Just to clarify, I didn't see political advantage in doing this. I thought, with an abbreviated term, it would be better to get my Cabinet out early so that people knew what to expect and we can quickly crack on with confirmations once the term starts. I knew that my Cabinet was largely shared by the other candidates, so there's no political advantage in that.
Actually, the few differences there were made a very difficult decision a little easier.

Yeah, that's not my point though. It distracts from what we should be focused on. It puts pressure on proposed nominees. It puts the Senate in a box. There are a lot of good reasons it's the exception and not the rule.

Back