Europeia's Weekly Update (June 27, 2019)

Elections
Written by Dax

Executive Disclosure Act Vetoed

After the arguments both inside and out of the Senate about foreign affairs regulations then its successor, the Executive Disclosure Act, an agreement was found with the Executive Disclosure Act with the Senators voting 5-0-0. However, when the act was presented to First Minister Lloenflys, he vetoed it, voicing concerns surrounding several sections of the draft. He does however say that if the next Senate wishes to give it another shot with revisions addressing his concerns, he would likely sign it.

HEM Confirmed for Grand Admiral

After Common-Sense Politics’ resignation of Grand Admiral, the Europeian Republican Navy hadn’t had much said about it for almost two months until HEM brought up these concerns in the Grand Hall. Soon after, Chief of State Kuramia nominated HEM to the Senate for the position. The Senate, both eager to see a new Admiral and pleased with HEM’s nomination, asked their questions and unanimously elected HEM as the new Grand Admiral.

Senate Election

Summer slump hit hard with this Senate election with initially four candidates, Astrellan, UnitedPeoplesofCentrism (UPC), DictatorAnna10 (DAX), and GraVandius (GraV) standing, followed by the fifth, Rand. With only five candidates standing it meant all five would make it into the Senate. Soon citizens began to voice agreement with some candidates after taking into consideration the platforms, answers to questions, qualification. When the voting came and went, it left all candidates untouched by re-open elections and with the final vote of DAX and Astrellan tied at 26 votes, followed by UPC with 24 votes, with GraVandius and Rand both with 20 votes.

Senate Speaker Chosen

Following the Senate election, Rand started the Speaker Selection thread followed by the nominations of Rand from UPC and GraVandius from DAX. After answering questions about availability and vision, it was moved to a vote. Following shortly after, the two Senators who provided nominations voted according to their nominations leaving Astrellan as the deciding vote. After lots of consideration from Astrellan, he posted his vote for GraVandius stating, “I'm not voting GraV because I think Rand is bad, and I'm not doing it by the whims of another or by any sort of political favour or promise.” Astrellan claims he considers either senator a good candidate for speaker, saying of Rand that “He was always willing to discuss policy calmly and even listened to any complaints or contrasting views I had with both ears, changing his viewpoint on the matter on more than one occasion.” Now with DAX and Astrellan’s, and later on Rand’s votes for GraV, GraVandius has been made Speaker of the 70th Senate.

First Minister Standing Open

With the second First Minister term coming to a close, standing has officially opened for the third First Minister election. However, Supreme Chancellor Lethen said in his speech, “Not only will the incoming First Minister face the familiar challenges of staffing Ministries and encouraging workers to excel, but they'll have to overcome another adversity that Rand and Lloen did not have to face - the dreaded ‘Summer Slump’ in NationStates”. This means that whoever the next First Minister is, they must fight a bigger battle than their predecessors. As of now, whoever it is that might fight that battle is a mystery since no one has stood for the position yet.

A great summary of events, Dax. We had some really interesting things happen the past week or so.

I love Lloen's daringness to veto a 5-0 bill, but there were huge flaws and I'm glad that this can now be addressed in the new Senate.

Back