Europeia's Renaissance Man: Europeian of the Year

Monkey

we want YOU to be a dee gee too
Citizen
2021 Europeian of the Year Nominee

Ren·ais·sance man
/ˈˌrenəˈˌsäns man/
noun
a person with many talents or areas of knowledge.

moe — 07/23/2020 Hey UPC! We have Presidential elections tomorrow and your pal Sopo and I are running! We would really appreciate it if you would consider our candidacy
No Reply

UPC was first introduced to Europeia in mid-2019, after signing up for citizenship. During that year, they briefly served in the senate, as well as the high executive. Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with that stretch of Europeian history, and after all, it is the 2021 EuroChoice awards after all, so I hope you'll forgive me if we fast-forward a couple of months!

The story of UPC's career in Europeia truly begins in earnest in late 2020, after signing up for citizenship the third or fourth time. After deciding that this one was going to be the one that would stick, it didn't take too long for him to run for Senate, about 2 months later. I served with UPC in this Senate, and of course having served as Senator in the past, UPC wasn't happy with just settling for Senator. Upon then-Speaker Calvin Coolidge's rise to the Presidency, there was a vacancy for the Speakership. It was just my luck that I was on one of my LoAs during the time, but as fate would have it, my Senate Substitute, Sopo, nominated UPC for the Speakership, which he won and completed the rest of the term as head of our legislature.

moe — 03/22/2021
can you make me
president
upc — 03/22/2021
hmm
president of my fan club

After the speakership, UPC turned his attention towards the executive. His first re-introduction to entering the ever-expanding bureaucracy was serving as Minister of Culture, under President Calvin, filling in for a previous resolution. After that, UPC decided that he didn't feel like letting go of power. And so, in April of 2021, he ran for the Presidency this time, with Kazaman. After a hard-fought campaign against two other tickets (hey look, I'm there again too), they emerged victorious, and not only did he transition to the high executive for the next two months, he also served as a minister in the cabinet, as Grand Admiral, for the second half of the term, following another resignation. Kazaman and UPC weren't so luck on their re-election bid, and lost to yet another Calvin presidency (which ends up becoming a theme throughout this year). However, he manages to do quite well for himself in the end, once again being nominated and serving as Grand Admiral for some time in August, as well as winning election into the Senate.

Now, we've arrived at the present. Most Europeians will probably know that UPC successfully won the Vice Presidency, serving alongside Darcness for nearly half of a term (once again, I'm here as well, on yet another opposing ticket).

For those of you keeping track at home, an official count of how many positions UPC has served in over the course of this year (counting each term as 1):
Vice President: x2
Grand Admiral: x2
Speaker: x1
Senator: x1
Minister of Culture: x1

moe — 10/31/2021
i guess it will be worth it
i hope you give me an ovation after i die
upc — 10/31/2021
of course

Unfortunately, the EuroChoice awards have a tendency to be biased -- most likely we remember the things at the end of the year, and perhaps a little bit at the start of the year, with the middle mostly forgotten. To be quite honest, I had forgotten that he had even served as Minister of Culture this year! And I'm afraid that this recency bias may play a part in shadowing some of UPC's accomplishments this year. After stepping out of his role as Vice President most recently, many might point to a habit of resignations, an attribute that is also frequently attributed to others who rank highly within Europeia. But looking at the list of service above, it is quite an incredible accomplishment, and I would argue that UPC has stepped into fill vacancies just as much, if not more, than early exits, whether it's as Minister of Culture or Grand Admiral, or running in Senate by-elections. I did find it humorous the amount of times that we had ran against each other in elections, and I also think that just goes to show, UPC is an ever-present political force in our region.

moe — 01/25/2021
renaissance upc
upc — 01/25/2021
fake renaissance upc

What I admire most about UPC, is his ever-presentness, not only in political activity, but in all realms of what he does. He truly is a renaissance 'Europeian'. UPC walks the line between being a political player and a social one -- often socializing and laughing with others in Eurochat, but also being a skilled politician and bureaucrat. UPC is passionate about enhancing our regional culture, working on developing our cards program, or working on our Minecraft server -- but also someone with a history of being a strong senator, and someone who can articulate their ideas clearly and convincingly in the Grand Hall. UPC has served in positions ranging from working with our allies as Grand Admiral, and becoming an excellent sailor in our Navy himself, to one that is passionate about bringing focus and awareness to how we might seek to improve our gameside efforts as a region. He has a breadth of focus and energy that is unmatched by other Europeians, moving from different areas of our regional government with dedication and drive. And not only does he have this breadth in achievement, he also does it well. UPC is the exemplary model of a Europeian who cares deeply about this community, and is willing to work to make it better. And while he might not always admit it, I would firmly believe that Europeia today would not be where we are today, if we didn't have this driving force of energy and persistence behind us throughout the last year.

moe — 04/30/2021
thank you for your messages in eurochat they were very nice
upc — 04/30/2021
you are very welcome

Before I fully conclude my piece, I do hope UPC will forgive me for leaking parts of our DMs, I hope none of them are too embarrassing!

Beyond UPC's lengthy achievements this year, I want to say that he is an excellent friend. I know that he is a place where I can vent, share gossip, or even occasionally discuss things outside of NationStates -- like listening to Taylor Swift's entire red album, which took 2 hours. He is one of the first people I go to when I have a crazy proposal, or am seeking advice on anything in the game. Over the course of this last year, he has become one of my closest friends. And looking back on my own year as well, there aren't many moments where I'm not either running with/alongside/against UPC as well. Of course, we disagree on many things as well, and sometimes quite severely, but past all that, I feel lucky that he is willing to respond to my awful and at times unhinged DMs.

UPC has recently taken a step back from the region, scaling back some of his activity and involvement. But I hope that the region won't let that overshadow his tremendous list of accomplishments and achievements this past year. UPC has been an integral part of our region, and I am so very excited to see what is next.

Having been absent for a large part of this year, noticably the middle part, I missed a lot of what you are mentioning. From my own experience with him I can only underline a lot of what you say though, UPC is a great guy and I'm grateful for his contributions, especially on Gameside, where he certainly drove conversation and a lot of our efforts (and does to this day).

Thank you Monkey, UPC is definitely worth a nomination, you actually outlined my reasons for nominating him too! We do disagree a lot, particularly when we're both active, but he's been lovely to have on the opposing side too. You've convinced me further that my choice was right

Yes to everything in this article!! UPC's efforts in MoWAA should also be mentioned! At the beginning of my term (and before it), when ministry activity was pretty low and finding people to write IFVs was difficult, UPC frequently came in to save the day. He was our "Under Pressure Champion."

I am not quite sure what to say! Thank you Monkey, and everyone else who has chimed in, this is incredibly heartwarming. I am both surprised and grateful that I have had such an effect on people, and I hope that we continue to develop these friendships and make these memories this year and in years to come 💖

Back