Europeians In Ancient Rome

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

Welcome to the newest ongoing feature brought to you by The Europeian Citizen, Europeians in Ancient Rome! In a fun but also educational spot we'll be comparing prominent Europeians, past and present, to historical figures from Ancient Rome. It's only appropriate as our current president is indeed a statue from that period.

Our first comparison is the most obvious, the mythical founder of Rome, Romulus and our own esteemed founder HEM.

=

Romulus was offered the crown of Alba Longa along with his brother Remus but refused and instead they embarked to found their own city. Not quite similarly, HEM diverted his attention from his home in The Land of Kings and Emperors to found Europeia.

Rome drew exiles, refugees, the dispossessed, criminals and runaway slaves as its first inhabitants. Faced with widespread criticism and doubt about the prospects for his new region, HEM made Europeia a region of second chances where players both domestic and foreign could redeem themselves and commit to the greatness of their new, or restored, home. He would promote this theme throughout his career.

Rome was founded as a kingdom, not a republic, with Romulus as its first king. Some of you newbies may not know but the same is true of Europeia and that king was HEM himself though, to his credit, HEM abdicated his powers and established the Republic acknowledging that the need for his absolute authority in Europeia's earliest stages of development had abated.

Where Romulus established the Roman Senate in the early days of the city, HEM established the legislative branch of Europeia which saw three incarnations as the Europeian Parliament, the Europeian General Assembly, and finally the Europeian Senate.

Romulus was an expansionist and an accomplished military commander. HEM himself has served as Grand Admiral six times (three terms consecutively, twice) and has advocated for one form or another of an imperial policy for Europeia over the years. We have no evidence of HEM murdering any of his siblings with a rock.

One of the legends asserts that the people of Rome murdered Romulus and threw him into the Tiber. Another asserts that he disappeared in a great storm and ascended to the heavens to become a god. We're not quite sure how we're going to rid ourselves of HEM yet.

While the differences in the character of these two men, the most glaring being that one is wholly mythical and the other very much a real person, differ greatly it was a fun comparison to make and maybe you even learned a little something.

This is fun. :) I wonder which ancient roman figure is next. Caligula? Clodius? Cicero? Marius? Sulla? Catilina? hyper.gif

Cool. I wonder who I'll be. And I bet Anumia will be Augustus... :p

Lethen said:
I haven't planned many of them out yet but I can tell you Nums will not be Augustus.

Common-Sense Politics said:
Lethen said:
I haven't planned many of them out yet but I can tell you Nums will not be Augustus.
If Anumia has you taken to the Gulags, we'll know why.

Back