HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
Europeian of the Year 2019 Nominee: Pichtonia

"It would be an understatement to call this situation 'not ideal'. It’s a crisis. And historically, the summer months have not been our natural ally in the work for a better, more successful Europeia."

These were the opening words from First Minister Pichtonia as he took office after an uncontested election for First Minister. The region had just experienced it's least active month in recent memory, with the results bottoming out with an average of 77 posts per day during June 2019. The region had only just gotten a Grand Admiral after the post sat vacant for nearly a month, the Culture Department was similarly being run in a caretaker role by First Minister Lloenflys, and weekend games were a rare sight in the region.

Upon taking office as Grand Admiral around the same time, I compared the situation of the region to the 717 AD Siege of Constantinople. Things were not good.

Perhaps having witnesses old guard A-teams flame out over the past few terms, Pichtonia filled his Cabinet with fresh faces. Newer leaders (who aren't quite so new anymore) like Hezekon, Astrellan, DictatorAnna10, and Carathetopia took the stage. While perhaps erring on the side of micromanaging with weekly agendas, most Ministers began a slow march of steady output.

That's not saying Pichtonia didn't encounter challenges. He faced a large challenge when trying to manage Whitmark, his Second Minister and Minister of Recruitment. After Whitmark failed to perform to the extent expected, Pichtonia fired him in a cryptic announcement. With the public pressuring for more details, Pichtonia revealed the details of how Whitmark had fallen short and the region largely agreed with him.

As many of you know, Pichtonia paid a significant price for holding this particular member of his government accountable. He was subject to months of harassment by Whitmark, including threatening messages that eventually led him to being banned.

Pichtonia wasn't immune to mistakes, such as hiring personnel who fell short or in the notorious case of Bri Shakespeare, deceived the public. But Pichtonia kept every roll filled, and was willing to get creative and give folks a shot -- even when they ended up blowing it.

After his term as First Minister, Pichtonia continued his service as my Deputy Chief of State. He cleaned up the Foreign Affairs office and served as a trusted counselor to me. I could scarcely get by a week without Pichtonia reminding me of something that needed to be done, or serving as a sounding board for challenges we faced. It was no surprise then, that he became the first Europeian to hold both executive roles as my successor as Chief of State.

For me, it's hard to consider any citizen more worthy as Europeian of the Year than Pichtonia. Serving across both of our region's highest offices, he has been a keeper of our region's promise in the same league as Pope Lexus X or Writinglegend. He has put so much work into our community, endured some pretty tough trials, and I truly believe is Europeian of the Year.

It wasn't this year, but I think we all forget that Pichto's political career hit quite a speed bump during a previous Ministerial stint; iirc, he took some time off before coming back with renewed vigor and a more self-reflective attitude.

This is going to be a hard vote to cast

Thank you very much, HEM. It means a lot to me to receive the honour of this nomination from you.

Pichto has been truly exemplary this year. Those remarkable couple of terms as FM really stand out.

Back