Honos Habet Onus
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
2020 Europeian of the Year Nomination: The Honorable Lloenflys
Military Times Special Report
Jan 22nd 2021

“In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.”
– Albert Schweitzer​

I've always had a great difficulty making friends in my life, either I come on a little too strong or I ask a little too much too soon. But the first time I met Lloen in December of 2018 it was like meeting someone that you had known all your life. As Lloen is fond of birds, it was like a bright and happy bird flew into our cage of disharmony and made us whole again. We have all seen newcomers join the region and set out to make their own fame only to burn out or leave disenchanted with our brand of politics but this newcomer was something special.

He was folksy and down to earth. Real and without a hint of bitterness in his body. A lawyer by trade in real life, Lloen's legal prowess and new ideas about how to interpret the law breathed new life into an area of Europeian politics that is often seen as stuffy. His creativity and ability to incite a laugh or a deep conversation led to his first Government role being that of the Minister of Culture, often seen as a stepping stone position to the region's higher offices. His successful term as First Minister in 2019 set the bar high for other First Ministers to follow. His penchant for our laws has seen him take the most prestigious office in our region and put his own spin on it, serving multiple times as Speaker and doing so with gentle grace and kindness.

Away from politics is where I know Lloen the best.

I had barely met Lloen and he had barely met me when I came to him in February of 2019 a very scared and upset person. Angry over Europeia, scared over real life. This gentle soul from Minnesota who had barely even said two words to me took me 'in' and had done something no one other than my mom had ever done before, got me to calm down and breathe. Lloen was there for me every step of the way through my mom's illness and passing and the aftermath. We've shared an unspoken bond and because of that we have become very close friends. I trust very few people in my life due to some real life circumstances, but I trust Lloen and he has never given me a reason to doubt him or his word. He is a man of steadfast principles, of deep humility and so full of love that talking to him feels like you're talking to a parent or a family member.

He truly cares and in this time of global uncertainty sometimes just one person that cares is enough.

Today I place forward the name Lloenflys for Europeian of the Year because I know him and I love him. I know him to be an extremely fair and competent jurist and legislator. A strong and capable leader that all Europeians can admire and strive to be like. A man of simple pleasures, Birds being one of them. A person that many Europeians call a good friend and one that I am proud to call my best friend.

Thank you my friend for your service, your good humor, your charm and wit and most importantly for the love and kindness that you bring to our community.

This is an extremely compassionate tribute to someone who plays such a huge and always positive role in our community - Lloen's nomination is very very well-deserved.

Reactions: Vor
Thank you for sharing this, OD! Lloen deserves all the love and this nomination

OD, thanks for taking the time to write this article. While I have always been able to go to Lloenflys when I have legislative questions or am seeking advice, this article illuminated what Lloen was as a person, beyond just a resident legal eagle. While Lloen has an impressive track record in all three branches of our government, I am especially glad that you were able to share other aspects about Lloen that some of us may not always be aware of. I am happy that you were able to find someone to go to during hard times, but I am also amazed by the compassion and empathy exhibited by some members of our community. I am positive that Lloen will continue to be a cornerstone of our community going forward, both given his governmental prowess and his care for others.

In a recent broadcast, it was discussed how Lloenflys emerged as one of the legal eagles in our region, and (especially now in light of EuroChoice) would easily be a natural contender for the legal EuroChoice awards, be it for Senator of the Year, Legal Eagle, or whatever. Not only is that very accurate, - Lloen has, in my view, certainly established his as such -, I think it's also something that we primarily saw during this last year. His strong sense of empathy and care for others in Europeia certainly marks him a lot as well, and I truly wonder sometimes how such a smol birb (going off of the owl, I don't know how tall Lloen is in human form!) can hold so much of it. Lloen deserves this nomination very much!

This was a lovely piece that I didn't expect. I think people tend to forget - myself included - that our citizens are often more than their avatars or RP personalities and can be supportive and compassionate humans. As odd as that sentence sounds 😅.

Reactions: upc
Back