Europeia Weekly Update (April 16, 2019)

Hebdomadal Update (April 16th, 2019)
"Vital Signs"

Written by Unmighty Hezekon

WERD's Return
What is it? Where did it come from? Does it bite? All no. Last week, Deputy Minister Cuddlebuns reintroduced the WERD, the Weekly Europeia Review Discussion, by way of a poll. The idea: every week, there'll be a topic for review and discussion by people of Europeia. For its reinception, WERD will feature reviews on the two winning movies from the aforementioned poll, limited to the genres of comedy and fantasy. (There is currently another poll that will determine those specific movies at the time of publication.) Previously, WERD had stood for "Weekly Europeia Recap Discussion." As Chief of State Kuramia explained, "[it] was a weekly show that showcased what was happening in Euro throughout the week." Now, though, Cuddlebuns has made it clear, "[WERD's] return is switching to reviews." This show is slated to release soon.

Latin Festival Sparks Call for Euro Version
On Wednesday, The Empire of Mare Nostrum held its Feriae Latinae, a discord chat party filled with events and games and competitions, which was announced via invitation for any residents or foreign peoples. Naturally, some Europeians attended. Upon visiting and mingling in the ceremonies a couple Europeians showed an interest in having a similar festival. Deputy Minister Prim stated that the Europeian Ministry of Culture "could perhaps experiment with this sort of dedicated festival discord server idea." Deputy Minister Siphlygon concurred, saying "[it] would be amazing if our MoC could experiment and produce something along the lines of this." When asked, Minister of Culture Lloenflys said in an interview that, given the amount of time left in the current term, as well as the plans the Ministry currently has underway, that it's unlikely a festival would be held during this term. However, he expressed that the festival is a good idea, and hopes "whoever the next culture minister is will get the go ahead to plan and run it from their FM."

Criminal Code Review Progress
Following a political scandal that occurred in late February and early March, which centered around false statements and bribery in pursuit of higher office by the individual Punchwood, there was raised a motion to update the Criminal Code of Europeian Law by then-senator Kari, where it has been debated since. Several changes to the Criminal Code have begun. The rework of areas concerning secret information has borne fruit as the Information Act (2019). Additionally, the removal of the statute of limitations and changing the definition of bribery remain active topics of discussion.

Izzy, Discord Moderator, offers a different perspective. He was running the campaign against Rand when Punchwood was alleged to have contacted both parties separately. In a Discord interview, Izzy said that he thinks the discussion is going well in general. However, the former campaigner expressed disappointment in a lack of discussion directly addressing what he calls "the Punchwood fiasco." He explained that "[while] expanding the definition of bribery, as was previously suggested by former Senator Kari, may not be appropriate for dealing with [the outcome of the actions Punchwood allegedly made], there surely must be some definition which could cover it." He pointed out that while "horse trading," the offering of favors to another in order for political gain, is normal and acceptable in politics, what Punchwood is said to have done was not merely that. "This was lying to candidates in order to gain a government position and in my opinion, that should be illegal and covered under the Criminal Code."

In response to the notion that the senate is lacking in directly addressing the Punchwood affair, Senator Lloenflys, in a private interview, disagreed. "First off," he begins, "the Senate isn't done with the process. The Senate hasn't made a decision one way or another on how to deal with that situation, so it's premature to say that the Senate hasn't reacted. It's in the process of reacting through an overall review of the Criminal Code." He went on to explain that "what happened to Punchwood - essentially becoming a social pariah and leaving the region voluntarily . . . is already a pretty significant 'punishment.'" However, when it came to their judgments about lying for political gain, Izzy and Senator Lloenflys were in agreement. "That is not acceptable behavior," the senator stated. "If there was an appropriate legislative solution to deal specifically with that part of the issue I would consider it. My concern is that any such legislation is likely to be overly broad. I will not vote for something that sweeps too broadly." There is sure to be more updates to this discussion in the coming days.

Last edited:
awesome, the only flaw i see is that WERD will be reviewing 4 movies in the month value of its return

I think the thread of the name needs to be changed (?) but good read. Thanks for writing it, Hez.

Cultural festivals exist to generate activity. We seek to generate activity in order to grow our community. Activity benefits our community most when it's on our forum. Hard no on Discord festivals for Euro.

Yeah, I definitely would've agreed a year ago. Now, I'm not so sure.

We either need to get serious as hell about developing social activities where the forum has a comparative advantage as a platform, or we need to accept that Discord is simply the superior place for social events.

To be clear: I think the former can be done. Threaded conversation inherently opens up a lot of different opportunities that can be easier executed in that environment than in a multi-channel one. But we need to be thoughtful about it, and actually do it. Saying "keep it on the forum" isn't going to cut it anymore where the entire game is moving away from forum platforms.

Well, yes, saying it and then not doing it wouldn't be an effective strategy. :p
Yeah but it’s not just “doing it” it’s shifting our whole festival/events paradigm to only have activities that are objectively better on the forum. Not because we think forum activity is better, but because the forum is a more endemic place for these activities.

The past few festivals where other regions were invited, only 1 or 2 people joined the forum to participate here, where about 4-6 people joined the discord server.

I don't think we need to leave the forum activities out altogether, but we should be looking at some of these regions that have discord festivals and see what sort of "best practices" we can glean from them.

From looking around at other regions -- Europeia uses its forum a ton more than any other region I've seen recently. If we're going to attract people to our region, we should be looking at how discord can help us instead of just trying to push everything to the forum.

Last edited:
I think I’m somewhere between CSP and Prim here. I don’t think we can become dogmatic with the forum, but I do intrinsically believe forum activity is more valuable than discord activity. As a marketer IRL, I look at this from a marketing perspective:

Our forum is siloed from the rest of that game. That means every minute our members spend on this forum, is time invested exclusively to Europeia. With Discord, all regions are interconnected through different regional (and non NS servers), which means that time spent on discord is divided between our region and others.

Time on the forum is also more productive, as the % of content that is substantive governmental and regional business is much higher than discord. The question is how we optimize as many activities for the forum as possible, without sinking time and energy to trying to move acitivities forumside that are overwhelmingly more advantageous to be held on discord. I think it’s an open question whether “festivals” are one of those things we should “abandon” to Discord.

Back