Europeia’s weekly update (July 27, 2019)

July 27th Update
Senator Fights for Their Future

Written by Brí Shakespeare

Top Story - Senator Could be Removed

Senator Rand is facing calls for removal due to his unexpected 9-day inactivity.

GraVandius:

“As I stated in a Private Message to the Senate this morning:​
Rand has not posted in the Senate for 9 days currently without an LoA [Leave of Absence] which is in excess of the time allotted by the SPA [Senate Protocol Act] (which is 5 days). The SPA states that this may provoke removal from the Senate, and subsequently kinda suggests it should. I've tried to contact Rand a few time over the period and last heard back from him on discord friday, 5 days ago. Personally, since we are a small Senate and only about halfway through the term it may be necessary to remove him and provoke a by-election so we can keep progressing along here.”​

Kari made the decision to call for a referendum; her petition quickly gained traction and it reached the necessary number of signatories.

It is unclear at this stage what the future of Sen. Rand will be.

The Senator released a press statement apologising for “[letting] everyone down.”

I apologize for my absence this last week,” Rand explained. “I know things in the Senate were counting on me to move forward. I know I made a commitment to serve on the Senate this term. This last week, I let everyone down. I'm sorry.”

Carathetopia Confirmed as Minister of Radio

This week First Minister Pichtonia appointed Caratheopia as the new minister of radio.

Carathetopia:
“It is an honor to receive this nomination and be confirmed by the Senate at such a young age for a nation. I've been part of Europeia for only a few short months, and part of NationStates for only a bit longer. I think there has been a resurgence of so-called 'new blood' within our offices and our ministries. People within Europeia are excited about newer citizens with new ideas and different takes on European politics. I strive to represent the people of Europeia well as the Minister of Radio.”​
Could this mark an even bigger step by this administration to include younger players? We will have to wait and see.

Attorney General Amendment Signed by First Minister

The Attorney General Restriction Alleviation Act (2019) landed on the desk of the first minister this week. The decision as to whether the bill will be signed is not yet known. However, the first minister said, “I hold no reservations.”

This Act would allow the attorney general to serve as deputy chief of state or deputy first minister. They were previously not allowed to hold such role under regional law.

Senator Rand:
“While the dual AG arrangement may be ideal for some governments, it should not be mandatory. I believe the First Minister should have the ability to appoint their own counsel and to independently direct matters of domestic security, and the Chief of State should have the same ability to appoint their own counsel. Still, if the First Minister and Chief of State wish to include the same individual on their Cabinet/Council as the chief legal adviser for the region, that will be an option. I hope this way we can give the executives room to work as closely or independently as they wish.”​

“The Attorney General will release his assessment of the amendment very soon and I will decide on whether to sign or veto based on that assessment. Politically, I hold no reservations," said first minister, Pichtonia.

The amendment was later signed by the first minister.

Executive Disclosure Act Fails on Senate Floor.

The Executive Disclosure Act failed in the Senate. This act would have required government officials to disclose all foreign ties publicly in order to be able tocampaign for election and enter elected office. It's been a point of high confliction in the region. Introduced by Senator Rand the last term, the idea was rewritten, vetoed by former First Minister Lloenflys, and rewritten again. The bill is widely believed to have now been killed for the foreseeable future.

Great work, Bri! I know that there was a lot of back-and-forth in the WPG with this, but it really has come out buffed and better for it. You cover a lot of ground in this update, and have done well in reporting. Thanks again!

Back