Euro Weekly With Max Lime

Lime

Lime Green At Last
Associate Justice
Senator
Cabinet
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Max Lime (Anchor): Hello and welcome to Euro Weekly with me Max Lime. Our headlines tonight. Despite an EPP majority in the Senate independent Notolecta was elected Speaker by Senators.

Scenes of joy as the EPP wins a Senate majority.

Max Lime (Anchor): Also tonight a new name for the Law Index, as it is renamed in hyanygo’s honour. And finally tonight, a new year and a new paper a proper welcome to Euro Weekly.

Max Lime (Anchor): Good Evening. The Senate has named independent candidate Notolecta as its speaker despite the fact that the EPP has a majority in the Senate, controlling 5 out of the 7 seats that were up for grabs. All Senators bar Rand who voted for himself voted in favour of Notolecta becoming Speaker. Our political correspondent Liam Moody joins me now in the Studio, tell me Liam how much of a surprise was this?

Liam Moody (Political Correspondent): Well Max, 2016 was 2016 to the bitter end. A complete newcomer to the region came in joint first place with 50 votes, a political party took control of the Senate, and a run-off resulted in two veteran members being beaten by someone who had lost a previous 8 Senate bids. It truly was a 2016 election. After the final votes were counted and confirmed all eyes turned towards the vacant Speakership and who would take it.

With a majority in the Senate it looked like an EPP member most likely Party Chair Pichtonia would take the Speakership however not a single EPP member was even nominated. The two candidates were the Senate’s only independents, Rand and Notolecta. Discussion was pretty one-sided with all EPP members backing Notolecta, indeed Rand had to suggest himself as a potential Speaker to prevent it in becoming just a coronation. In the end it was as good as a coronation however with all Senators bar Rand voting for Notolecta resulting in a 6-1 vote.

Max Lime (Anchor): So tell me Liam, why did the EPP not elect one of its own?

Liam Moody (Political Correspondent): Well only the Senators themselves can answer that question, however the most likely reason that I can think of is that after what seemed like quite a strong backlash in the Grand Hall after the final result was declared from older members over the fact that a political party now has control over the Senate is that this is the EPP way of trying to calm those fears. By electing an independent and not one of their own they could be trying to show the region that they aren’t here to take control of the region but rather are here to work with others and not just be themselves.

Max Lime (Anchor): Liam, thank you. The Law Index was just two days ago renamed to the "hyanygo Law Index." It came after the celebrations of hyanygo ovation and as per tradition a forum was renamed in his honour. The Law Index was selected due to hyanygo's many contributions to Europeia's legal system.

Finally tonight a message from Euro Weekly's founder Punchwood.

Punchwood (Founder): Euro Weekly is not only here to give you the news on a weekly basis but it is also here to give you analysis and opinions. We aren't just a normal paper that once every month or two we write an opinion piece, no we will aim for weekly issues with analysis, opinion and facts. Let's just hope there is enough or not too much to write about! Back to you Max.

Max Lime (Anchor): Thank you Punchwood. That is all we have time for this week, join us next week for another issue of Euro Weekly. Good Night.

Calvin Coolidge said:
I always love this format. Looking forward to the next issue. :D
I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope others do to!

Good stuff.

In regard to the Speaker, I'd say that even though there's a lot of clamor about the role of political parties these days, most Europeians want what's best for the region, rather than their own party. The EPP Senators likely either didn't want the job or didn't feel prepared for it, so they went for Noto. More surprising to me is that Noto chose XIV as his deputy rather than Rand, who expressed (a lot) of interest in the Speakership. Not that XIV is a bad choice, in fact I think he's a great one, but it wasn't what I expected.

Back