ERI Poll: Region Divided on Private Polls, Disapproves of EO

GraVandius

Retired Troll
Pronouns
His Majesty

ERI Poll: Region Divided On Private Polls, Disapproves of EO
We here at the ERI conducted an poll on the perception of Executive Order 97 and Private Polls in general. It was open from about 10pm on Friday until 3:40pm Sunday and received 26 responses. This is approximately as many as were received in the previous two polls conducted on the issue, though a few respondents less. The first question of the poll affirmed that the respondent had seen the executive order, and provided a link to it in case they had not. Consequently 100% of respondents said they had seen the executive order.

Forms response chart. Question title: Do you support the change of making all election vote tallies private (not viewable) until the end of the election?. Number of responses: 26 responses.
As you can see above a slightly higher percentage of respondents disprove of private polls than approve (42.3% to 34.6% with 23.1% uncertain or want more trials). I think it is additionally worth noting that the approval is softer than the disapproval. The number of respondents that strongly disprove of private polls is equal to the summation of all approval. If all of the sizable chunk of uncertain is considered to want another trial it would show a tacit majority for at least another trial run of private polls. Overall though I think this first question suggests the region is still highly divided, with perhaps a slight edge against, private polls.

Pichto is just the worst!!! Just kidding
I support. I hope it sticks around for at least a few elections.
We've already had a trial run and it was fine
I'd like to see a trial run on a more significant election than the Senate by-election, which didn't really show ... anything.
I have bigger concerns about making Senate elections private than FM elections. I'd like a test of an FM election.
For the FM election -- sure, private ballots, but for the Senate elections - no
I don't love this idea, but I've been willing to implement it on a trial basis for other elections. Except for Senate elections; it doesn't make sense to have private results when you also need to decide the number of seats. I'm not sure its a good idea for a run-off, either.
It should've been done for the next election only as another test.
Honestly, I'm torn. On one hand, this could help up and coming, newer individuals running for office - but, on the other hand, this could ruin the excitement of an election. I think the pros and cons are equal, and in the end this will achieve nothing, which is why I neither oppose or support it. I just don't see the point of it. In runoff elections however, I think it may make slightly more sense, but at the same time, I don't necessarily think it should be used in one election without the others.
Calvin waited until the last second to destroy his legacy.
I don't think the first example was clear and am still pretty neutral towards the idea, but I like the sentiment behind it

Forms response chart. Question title: Do you support private vote tallies in the following instances? (Check all that apply). Number of responses: 26 responses.
The followup question provides a lot more clarity to the support and disapproval of private polls. Evidently most of the people who indicated they opposed private ballots in the above question do not want to see them in any election. It's worth noting that a greater number of respondents indicated that they do not want them in any election than expressed support for them in Senate elections. Even First Minister elections fail to reach a majority of support. Only Runoff Elections, which collected the support of many of the uncertain and a few who strongly oppose in addition to those who support private polls in general. This represents a significant shift in opinion since this previous poll, which was taken almost 2 months ago. It's entirely possible that following the test in a Senate by-election opinions shifted or that the EO further soured the public's view of this issue.

Forms response chart. Question title: Regardless, of your opinion on the issue itself, do you support First Minister Calvin Coolidge using his Executive Order power to make this change?. Number of responses: 26 responses.
When it gets down to Executive Order 97 a solid majority (57.7%-38.5%) disapproves of the First Minister using his power to push this change. It's worth noting that the percent who support this action (38.5%) is greater than the number who expressed support of Private Polls (34.6%). When looking to the comments the explanation of this seems to come down to people perhaps supporting a "stronger" view of the executive,
Executive Orders are a tool in the First Minister's tool-chest that in recent history has been reduced to jokes and inconsequential changes. I'm glad to see Calvin stepping up and implementing policy he believes in, even if I'm not 100% sold on the policy itself.
and people who are confused/don't know what they are talking about.
This is the second EO that the First Minister has used. Two in one term is not a lot, which is why I support this Executive Order. However, I think more than three in one term would be a bit worrying, so as long as the First Minister does not reach that number, I'm fine with it.
Calvin is just the worst!!! Kidding again :p
If the Senate won't shake things up and experiment, I support a first minister willing to put effort into new ideas through EOs.
The power is his to use, and the Senate has an oversight role when an EO is issued. Future FM's also can simply remove it if they campaign on that issue and win on removing it, so I don't see it as some massive overreach of power.
Slightly oppose, particularly given his indication that he intends this to be a permanent measure.
The EO thread lays it out much more clearly, but the short answer is that this was an overreach and perhaps an overreaction.
EOs don't get etched in stone. Lighten up.
This feels like a pretty serious perversion of the spirit of the Executive Order

Forms response chart. Question title: Do you believe the Senate should veto First Minister Calvin Coolidge's Executive Order?. Number of responses: 26 responses.
As you can see above everyone who disagreed with Calvin's action with the EO believes the Senate should veto the order. A chunk of supportive individuals move over to uncertain when it comes down to it here, leaving about a fourth of respondents believing that the EO should remain unchanged. Overall, it shows a much bleaker picture on support for this executive action than private polls themselves, suggesting that for quite a few Europeians, this Executive Order was the wrong way to go about a policy they were at least open to.
Make HEM great again!!
I hope they decide to let this play out and not just knee-jerk veto it.
The Senate should definitely veto it at some point, although I'd be happy for it to stay in place short-term to provide a proper trial run of an election with a private ballot.
The Senate absolutely should veto the EO, primarily because I frankly think adding Senate elections was a mistake, but they should also do so in good faith. A discussion should be had.
Making this change permanent and in the format it is was bad.
Again, I'm torn. Whilst I think it's important for the Senate to discuss this, I think that we should wait for this to play out with the next First Minister election, and then see public opinion on the issue. If public opinion is negative afterwards, then they should go ahead with vetoing it.

Pichto blah blah blah
cash in on the controversy
Pichtonia is the worst FM all year, terrible leadership.
[comment about Pichto here]
No spelling mistakes! Good boi GraV
N/A

Also I'd like to commend all the comedians in the comments for the Whitmark jokes. All 5 of you are original and very funny :p

A great and timely write-up. It seems like the aggregate of public opinion mirrors the response in the EO thread itself.

I'd say this is better for me than I thought based on the thread, actually. Very interesting to read, thanks GraV!

Excellent analysis! Results are little more balanced than I expected, although it made for a superb read.

A great and timely write-up. It seems like the aggregate of public opinion mirrors the response in the EO thread itself.
Just by my quick count in the thread 14 people commented. Four (including Calvin) expressed support, seven expressed explicit disapproval, while another three took a more neutral (more trials) approach to the topic. That does seem to approximately mirror the results here, though evidently people with viewpoints against made more comments as Calvin and others went about defending his position.

Thanks for the poll and write-up. It's very useful to see clearly where opinion generally stands.

Poor Pichto! XD

Thanks for this GraV!

Great and timely polling (+ analysis). Thanks, GraV!

Back