former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"ENN Scores the VP Debate"

HEM:
Welcome everyone! Because I was too busy huffing glue in my garage to watch the VP Debate in real time and do a live blog, ENN is now providing some ~~different~~ content. My exclusive contract-to-hire assistant editor Kazaman will be joining me in scoring tonight's VP debate and offering some commentary. I'll also drop the questions for reference:

The Vice President is usually selected to balance the ticket and offer qualities the complement their partner. What unique qualities do you bring to your ticket and what do you envision your role being as Vice President?

HEM: I feel like Sopo's response gave a better sense of the vision he would bring to the Vice Presidency. Kuramia's answer of coordination is fine, but it seemed like she mentioned spreadsheets then just segued to vague "I will help Ministers."

Kazaman: I felt that Kuramia's opening statement was the weaker one, because it focused too much time on one fairly narrow skill of hers, whereas Sopo drew from a broader range of experience and put it in the context of how that would play out in Cabinet interactions. But both were pretty strong in the debate phase: Kuramia came out with a fair and pointed question, and Sopo handled the answer well.

KURAMIA SCORE:

Initial Response:
  • HEM: 3/5
  • Kazaman: 3/5
Rebuttal:
  • Kazaman: 4/5
TOTAL: 13 / 20

SOPO SCORE:

Initial Response:
  • HEM: 4/5
Rebuttal:
TOTAL: 16 / 20

The Europeian Heroes program was an initiative launched last term that aimed to recognize outstanding Europeians, as well as work on drafting skills within the region. This term, no such resolutions have been passed. Both tickets have said that they would not pursue this program, however neither offers a clear path to how they will specifically encourage drafting. To both candidates: What is the value in having Europeian-authored WA resolutions, and how will you get us to that point? You have 3 minutes to formulate a response.

Kazaman: Unfortunately this wasn't a good round for Kuramia. Sopo's response to the question may have been a bit vague, leaving unaddressed how a Calvin/Sopo administration would encourage more drafting, but he did provide some idea of what their priorities would be for resolutions. Kuramia's response, however, while clear on her views on the Europeian Heroes programme, didn't shed much light on what their administration's goals would be. In the debate phase, Sopo was able to correct Kuramia on a couple key points and elaborate on his views, and I felt that Kuramia's initial question about who to commend or condemn was a bit ill-considered.

HEM: I think both candidates did pretty well with their initial responses here. Sopo is approaching the Hereos program with a more critical eye, while Kuramia is trying to sing its praises. On the rebuttal, however, Sopo effectively pokes holes into Kuramia's answer. He asks how the WA resolution process has been demonstrated to the region, and she tries to cite Commend HEM where little progress has been made, and also was not a part of the Heroes Program.

KURAMIA SCORE:

Initial Response:
  • Kazaman: 2/5
Rebuttal:
  • HEM: 2/5
  • Kazaman: 2/5
TOTAL: 10/20

SOPO SCORE:

Initial Response:
Rebuttal:
  • HEM: 5/5
TOTAL: 16/20

Region of the Week is an intersection of our region’s cultural and foreign affairs, with it being successfully enacted over the last 3 terms. However, you both have differing policies on how your administration would incorporate this. Sopo, you were criticized two terms ago when you were seeking the presidency yourself, by no other than Kuramia, for guaranteeing only one or two regions of the weeks. On the other hand we have only seen two region of the weeks the past couple of terms. Kuramia, you even went as far as the guarantee 3-4 region of the weeks in your platform.

To Sopo: Why do you think that 1 or 2 region of the weeks is the “right” number for a term? Do you think that your opponent is overpromising by guaranteeing 3 or 4?

To Kuramia: You were the Minister of Foreign Affairs this term, and we only saw 2 region of the weeks. Why do you think that you and Pichto will be able to meet the goal of 3 to 4 when it has not been done in the past?

Kazaman: Both responses were fairly strong, but Kuramia didn't answer part of the question (how she and Pichtonia would achieve their goal of 3 or 4 ROTWs). I think Sopo slightly misread Kuramia's response, though, and misidentified what wasn't answered: she had very clearly addressed the question of why there were only two this term even if she'd prefer more. Otherwise, both of them handled themselves very well in the debate portion of this segment.

HEM: I think this question was inherently favorable to Sopo, given the framing. On first reading, Kuramia putting the responsibility for less ROTWs on Peeps felt like a deflection, but at the end of the day, it's the President's call what the priorities are — so not really anything else she can say. Rebuttal period was spent clarifying that, and Sopo once again, declining to give specific ideas on a policy proposal (understandably, but now two questions in a row...).

KURAMIA SCORE:

Initial Response:
Rebuttal:
TOTAL: 15/20

SOPO SCORE:

Initial Response:
Rebuttal:

Let’s move on to integration. The method of integrating new citizens into our forums community is a topic that has appeared nearly every election. Both tickets put forth a proposal to generate more passive resources.

Sopo: Your campaign has been emphasizing the presence of integration in all ministries, not just interior. Why is this system preferable to previous initiatives that saw changes specifically in interior? Additionally, how will you measure success in this area?

Kuramia: Your campaign lists several concrete integration ideas solely in interior: researching integration topics and applying them within our region, interviews with government leaders, and even creating a map of a newcomer’s first few months. Yesterday, Pichtonia mentioned that your ministries also each individually have integration goals. Are you confident in your administration in carrying out all of these goals? Why do you think it is beneficial to have a very ‘interior’ focused integration component as well? And the same question, how will you measure success in this area?

HEM: Nothing really runaway crazy here. Kuddos to Kuramia for the humility of saying "I don't know!" in a debate, but when your ticket has the much more ambitious, big project integration platform...I'm not sure that's the strongest look. Sopo doesn't really say anything more revolutionary, he goes into a little detail on what integration would look like with him as VP — but I think his answer aligns a little better with his ticket's policy proposal. Kuramia asks a fair question about video creation, but unfortunately, she's teeing up a pretty solid response from Sopo.

Kazaman: Neither response appealed to my tastes (which lean toward policy wonk if I'm being honest), but I understand why both candidates answered as they did. They're both right that there's much less certainty in the effects of different integration policies than the question's framing might suggest, and I respect that. The debate portion this time was short and sweet, but both candidates were very effective.

KURAMIA SCORE:

Initial Response:
Rebuttal:
TOTAL: 14/20

SOPO SCORE:

Initial Response:
Rebuttal:

Recently, the Founderless Regions Alliance resurfaced, announcing a telegram campaign to “educate” the natives of the recently raided NationStates region regarding the past history of their delegate, Mikeswill. Falconias, a notorious gameplayer closely associated with the FRA, later went on to describe independence as “a very thinly veiled smokescreen for ‘raider sympathist’. To both candidates: as Vice President, how would you tackle this resurgence of “moral defenderism”, and how can you strengthen Independence as an ideology within the wider gameplay stage? You have 4 minutes to formulate a response.

HEM: I think both candidates have capable answers. Sopo had the benefit of additional history here, and was able to add a little depth to the situation — But Kuramia's answer was very substantive in terms of what we should be doing and was also good.

Kazaman: I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by the responses, which were correct as far as they went about the politics of the NSGP forum, but avoided a more concrete discussion about the role of Cabinet and policy in addressing the FRA's challenge. What role could the Navy play in a response to the moralists' criticisms, for example? I set my policy wonk leanings aside last round, but I think the answers could have used more of that here, especially with both candidates' extensive experience in foreign affairs.

KURAMIA SCORE:

Initial Response:
TOTAL: 7/10

SOPO SCORE:

Initial Response:
TOTAL: 8/10

Both candidates are primarily known for their experience and contribution in Foreign Affairs, balancing against the primary candidates who are both better known for their focus on domestic issues. However, this does not seem to entirely reflect in the platforms.

Kuramia - You do focus heavily on Foreign Affairs in terms of experience. Where will this come into play in a potential term?

Sopo - In contrast to Kuramia, you don't mention your experience in FA at all, will Calvin be primarily leading the efforts in a potential term or will the issues fall to you?

Kazaman: This round was a bit unusual, because the question itself was fairly poor, setting up both candidates for very strong answers. I didn't give a debate round mark, because most of the clash was between the candidates and the questioner, and I'd consider that more of an elaboration on the initial answer.

HEM: Both candidates, temporarily united, in disagreement with the moderator. So moving.

KURAMIA SCORE:

Initial Response:
TOTAL: 9/10

SOPO SCORE:

Initial Response:
TOTAL: 9/10

SOPO'S QUESTION TO KURAMIA: Could you elaborate on why you've set a target goal for recruiting in terms of number of telegrams (17,500) rather than doses or unique recruiters?

Kazaman: To the point and clear, addressed the question fully in my view.

HEM: Yeah, nothing much else to say.

KURAMIA SCORE:

Initial Response:
  • Kazaman: 5/5
TOTAL: 10/10

KURAMIA'S QUESTION TO SOPO: Sopo, interior has tried a lot of prizes, like the ones you describe in the lottery, to ensure that recruiting stays consistent throughout the term. How can you ensure that this "game" will stay interesting enough to last throughout the term?

Kazaman: Sopo hooked directly to the main clash in Kuramia's question (loss of interest from repetitive awards) and gave a clear reply that corrected a misunderstanding of their platform. Their discussion was definitely the most animated and interesting all evening. I felt that Kuramia had the upper hand there, though; Sopo was on the defensive and took a while to explain himself and answer Kuramia's objections. Sopo also continued to insist that Kuramia wants to measure recruitment in raw telegrams rather than doses, despite the record on that being corrected early in the debate round.

HEM: See, I'm not so sure. I'm actually still a little confused, because that 17.5k goal kept getting brought up, and I think Sopo was compelling on why measuring in telegrams just isn't a great idea at this point.

Kazaman: I took it that they just wanted some flexibility in the way that they go about distributing the doses throughout the term, including how large and how often they are, but wanted to give an idea of the magnitude of their recruitment goals. I thought that Kuramia was effective at pressing Sopo to be more specific about their own goals

SOPO SCORE:

Initial Response:
  • Kazaman: 5/5
TOTAL: 10/10

CLOSING STATEMENTS

Kazaman: I rate both at 3. I have nothing against brevity in a closing statement, but as far as messages to get out the vote they felt a bit lacking. Kuramia mentions a decision to be made but doesn't draw any contrast between her ticket and Sopo's. Sopo emphasised integration and growth but it seemed a bit thin

HEM: I think Sopo's 3/5 and Kuramia's is 4/5. Nothing special with the closing statements really.

KURAMIA SCORE:

Initial Response:
TOTAL: 7/10

SOPO SCORE:

Initial Response:
TOTAL: 6/10

FINAL SCORE

KURAMIA — 85 / 120
SOPO — 95 / 120 ***WINNER***

Last edited:
Screenshot_20201209-220815.png
always remember

Thanks for inviting me to do this, it was great fun!

Great analysis! Gave a lot of insight

One minor thing though - I think the grading of the ROTW question is a bit wrong - if you add the scores Sopo gets 15/20 and Kura gets 16/20. Sorry for nitpicking, maybe it's all my time as MinComm :p

Back