Election Dissection #1

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

Welcome to the very first edition of 'Election Dissection' brought to you by the Europeian Citizen!

On the eve of our latest senatorial by-election, we at the Citizen seek to offer to the voter our analysis of the candidates and their campaigns considering three categories; past conduct, platform, and gut feeling. We will then offer our best prognostication as to the results we'll see. Let's get to it!

First Test: Experience

We'll start with Drecq. A member since January of 2011, Drecq has only recently become active starting with his entry to the ranks of the Europeian Bar Association, Civil Service Officium and Citizens' Assembly in early October of this year. In the CA he's been fairly quiet, supporting Chairman Swakistek's election and the Membership Ordinance as well as offering some substantive views and support of a popularly elected Speaker of the Senate. He has been recognized as a productive JM after work in the ministries of Interior, Culture, and Citizen Integration. Last term he recieved the "Welcomer of the Term" award (458 TGs sent as of today), is a member of the Knights of the Golden Apple, and a roleplay brother to his opponent in this contest. As far as we can tell, he's not substantially involved in any other NS communities.

Bryan joined the Europeian forums exactly one month ago. He's served as a JM for the ministries of Culture and Citizen Integration and has been praised for his skill in producing graphic designs. He also hosts an audio talk show for the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation. Bryan has been an active and vocal member of the Citizens' Assembly and ran unsuccessfully for a senate seat in the last general election in which he garnered ten votes (the second least behind Potchen's four). He's been an active voice in recent regional matters and has also been involved in regions such as TNI, Lazarus, TBR, and Balder where he has attained legislative and executive experience.

Point: Bryan

Phase Two: Platform

Let's be honest, neither one of these guys put out a blockbuster platform. Drecq has repudiated his earlier support of a popularly elected speaker, called for changes to the nature of the line of succession, and seems to subscribe to a hands-off approach where executive policy is concerned. He's voiced support for some reasonable checks to the power of the DEIA and the process for continued classification of information and indicates concern for a clear solution as to what constitutes the administrative team crossing the line. All these policy points were addressed after prodding from inquisitive potential voters rather than originally outlined by the candidate in his platform.

Bryan's platform indicates support for the Midterm Elections Act, Senate Aide Resolution and an amendment to the Judicature Act (2012), all of which are currently being debated on the Senate floor. He also says he would have supported the Cloture Amendment proposed by Senator Cerian Quilor. He appears to be in agreement with his opponent in terms of legislative-executive interaction and shares concerns in regard to regulation of administrative practices and the nature of classified information, if a tad less articulately. Again, what substance there is generally comes as a result of prodding.

Point: Drecq

The Tie-Breaker: Almighty CSP's Gut Feeling

Honestly, and no offense is intended to these two young Europeians, neither of the candidates are ready for what I would deem to be effective service in the Senate. If this were a general election with a full slate of candidates, neither would earn my vote with the campaign they've put forward. However it isn't and one of these fellas is going to be a Senator in a few days so a determination must be made. I feel that while Bryan has been more active and vocal, it's so far been a case of quantity over quality but not for a lack of effort. I think that Drecq needs to prove that he can be more engaged and outspoken but I also find him to be a more considerate, articulate, and intellectual individual than his opponent. It's a very close one but...

Point: Drecq

What It Comes Down To

I don't expect a particularly high turnout given the impending holidays and lack of enthusiasm and general absence of inspiration in this campaign. I don't think that help or hurts either candidate unless active, older membership aligns itself with the slightly more coherent Drecq and vote in larger numbers and we have no evidence indicating that will occur. Bryan has an advantage when it comes to name recognition given his vastly higher number of posts across the forum and his previous run for office. All that being said, I see it coming down to this...12 - 9, in favor of Drecq.

Thanks for joining us here at the Citizen for this first and best of luck to the candidates! Don't forget to vote tomorrow.

Good article.

With seasoned veterans like Mac, Apollo and Cerian already in the Senate, this is a good time to elect one of our new members. Either of the two current candidates would be a solid choice.

I disagree with CSP's conclusion, simply because Bryan has cut a higher profile than Drecq, whose yeoman's work in the Interior and CI ministries is obviously not as high profile as Bryan's EBC work. Couple Bryan's prominence with his respectable bid in general elections, and I think he's the favorite.

But if you believe (as I do) that a Cabinet post is a far better path to regional prominence than a Senate seat, then Drecq is the bigger rising star. Presidents need worker bees, and people who are faithful and diligent in small things are not left doing small things for long.

I agree with your first two points, CSP.

But, I don't think you credited Bryan's 'name recognition' enough and didn't at all evaluate popularity -- I believe based on a bit more popularity - Bryan will win.

Very interesting read. :)

Back