EBC Wire on the header

r3naissanc3r

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
I've installed a new script which extracts the latest EBC Wire post and places it in a drop-down menu under the header link "News".

The "News" link has replaced the previous "Twitter" link, given that Euro Twitter is not used (and that, when it was used, it was merely pointing to EBC Wire posts).

The drop-down menu works similarly to that for Government. The link itself sends you to the EBC Wire thread.

The script updates the text of the menu every five minutes. If a new post is made in the EBC thread, or if the last post is edited, the change will appear within the following five minutes.

The script also resizes the header and filters out some of the whitespace in the original post, to make the drop-down menu look nicer.

This change is to address several comments we have had, that the EBC Wire thread "hides" other articles published in EBC. Now that EBC Wire is featured in the header, the thread itself will be moved to a different location (once the Minister of Communications decides where that location should be).

All feedback and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

I love this solution. I think the thread could be moved to the Newcomer's Hall, perhaps if it gets a "News" subforum, but I'll address this more in-depth after my LOA ends.

Awesome, r3n!

Calvin Coolidge said:
I love this solution. I think the thread could be moved to the Newcomer's Hall, perhaps if it gets a "News" subforum, but I'll address this more in-depth after my LOA ends.
I'm thinking of putting it into a forum that is not at all visible in the index page, similar to the archives. It will only be accessible through the News link on the header.

That way, it won't be hiding anything, and it'll still be easily accessible for those who need to make new posts or who want to go through the EBC Wire archive.

The newcomers hall is inappropriate because there is no other contextual information which would make it useful for a newcomer. What is useful is a link to access the Wire archive titled "Find out what you missed while you were away" in the LoA forum.

hyanygo said:
The newcomers hall is inappropriate because there is no other contextual information which would make it useful for a newcomer. What is useful is a link to access the Wire archive titled "Find out what you missed while you were away" in the LoA forum.
There already is that link in the LOA forum. :p And r3n, that solution works, too.

I went ahead and implemented my suggestion. The EBC Wire is now hidden under an off-index forum. The forum is visible to everyone, but only those in the MinComm joinable group can make posts in its threads, and nobody except for admins can create new threads in it.

You can go directly to EBC Wire either through the header link, or through a new re-direct inside the main EBC forum.

Let me know what you think.

Back