EBC - What To Do, What To Do

To-Do List

- Update the "Index of Publications" (Finish updating, really)

- "Letters to the Editor" - Keep or dump?

- Cartoons - Political Cartoons & Comics:
Political Cartoons said:
Create weekly political cartoons relating to the region(or RL?) that the EBC will publish.
Comics said:
Allow people to submit their favorite webcomic that they read that week and every Saturday/Sunday/whatever day we decide someone could post them all. Call that person the comics coordinator. Anyone could submit via PM to the Comics guy or in a thread they set up, but they would leave a link so that we could verify the comic's rating. You know, make sure it is PG for the kiddies here on site.

- Newspaper Games (Crosswords, Word Searches, Sudoku, etc.):
As for the Crossword Puzzle...we could just have someone grab one randomly from a newspaper of their choice (L.A. Times, NY Times, USA Today online) and post it as a once-a-week thing. Maybe turn it into an interactive EBC "game" of sorts where people work together to get clues and such. Someone can screenshot it, and periodically add in clue answers until the puzzle is done.

- Mini-trivia game (daily? weekly?):
Clues...we could also do a mini-trivia game too. Possibly shell out a mention on the EuroTwitter account as a prize. I like the idea of making people use the Twitter account. For clues, we could use A Google A Day. That has a bunch of good stuff on it.

- Revive the "Week in Review" feature?

- Other ideas?

I want to take on a sort of re-branding of the EBC. I know Sopo told me not to do anything too dramatic, but that's not my style. I think we should go for a 50s era almost Mad Men-esque vibe, so hopefully I can get some graphics person to get us some logos and junk. Also a new slogan.

- "Letters to the Editor" - Keep or dump?
Keep. It's not hurting anyone.

- Cartoons - Political Cartoons & Comics:
I like the Political Cartoon idea more and will probably be pursuing it.

- Newspaper Games (Crosswords, Word Searches, Sudoku, etc.):
We could also do cryptquips with riddles about Europeia. Then people would message the answer to me.

In terms of a Week In Review, I want to do maybe like a weekly feature where the Speaker, CJ, and President each tell me a quick list of bulleted things their branch is up to that week and it's shared in a single thread as a Monday, Wednesday, Friday publication. Like Mondays are a quick Senate update, Wednesdays are Judiciary, and Fridays are Presidential.

In addition, I'd like to do something inspired by Taegan Goddard's Politicalwire, something like a EuroWire that is just quick updates that not only says what the government is doing but also highlights interesting articles, polls, etc.

What I really need is an active deputy. I will be scavenging to see who I can poach.

:ph43r: My JMs are certainly poachable. By the by, all these changes are fine with me; any rebranding that will revive the EBC is fine by me. I think I might take up writing a publication too.

Think you'll want to work EuroTwitter into this somehow?

:ph43r: My JMs are certainly poachable. By the by, all these changes are fine with me; any rebranding that will revive the EBC is fine by me. I think I might take up writing a publication too.

Think you'll want to work EuroTwitter into this somehow?
Probably as a prize for something. I haven't figured out what yet. So here's the tenative plan for the next week:

-Tonight/tomorrow: write 'Mac in the Day #2' explaining the rebranding/telling people to help/introducing Elias as my deputy.
-Tomorrow: Put up the mid-term survey to see how everyone is doing.
-Tuesday: Hopefully write the article about the survey.
-Thursday: If he agrees to do it, AA's dirty Cryptoquip #1
-This whole week: figure out how to do EuroWire, get that up and running by Friday. I want something like the Euro Twitter, but not the Euro Twitter. Something that I can update easily and many times a day and people can put the latest update in their sig.

Beyond that I don't really have anything planned, but hopefully I can keep some features going and get this thing pumping again.

You also have a stable of writers that can be pestered, expanded, culled, etc. And again, I'll get around to writing about *something* eventually. I have no idea what to write about though. :unsure:

Ideas:

Letters to the Editor- Keep, but have a few funny ones posted under fake members names to get people interested first. Like, make it look like a drunken post or something.

Crosswords and Other Newspaper Games- I have the USA Today for iPad app and can take a screenshot of a crossword puzzle once a week and try to upload via ImageShack. I can keep posting images until someone gets it right. I can do interactive Sudoku and/or Jumble in the same manner.

Trivia Games- This: http://www.funtrivia.com/games.cfm and done. We should have somebody coordinating it and the crossword and Sudoku and Jumble called the EBC Games Manager.

Week in Review: Make it "Week in EuroTwitter"?

Make book reviews, movie reviews, game reviews? I can do a Dark Knight Rises and The Darkness II review?

Webcomics: I'll start off by posting Gunnerkrigg Court, which is by far the best webcomic on the web out there and add new comics to syndicate if other people want. Or we could get somebody to do a webcomic for us.

I'm going to be out for a bit, Gus, but if you want to get more feedback, feel free to PM my braintrust (Drexlore, Shadowlurker, Seven Deaths if he wants to help) and Vinage.

They're smart cookies.

I'm going to be out for a bit, Gus, but if you want to get more feedback, feel free to PM my braintrust (Drexlore, Shadowlurker, Seven Deaths if he wants to help) and Vinage.

They're smart cookies.
OK, cool. I think I'll post the Dark Knight Rises review by tonight and the rest over the next week.

Letters to the Editor- Keep, but have a few funny ones posted under fake members names to get people interested first. Like, make it look like a drunken post or something.

I like the letters to the editor but, yeah, a few fake posts here-and-there to get it ticking over and make people realise it exists

Crosswords and Other Newspaper Games- I have the USA Today for iPad app and can take a screenshot of a crossword puzzle once a week and try to upload via ImageShack. I can keep posting images until someone gets it right. I can do interactive Sudoku and/or Jumble in the same manner.

Ooooo this is cool! There are online tool for it as well aren't there? Hmm.... need some sort of reward as well probably to keep people going with it.

Trivia Games- This: http://www.funtrivia.com/games.cfm and done. We should have somebody coordinating it and the crossword and Sudoku and Jumble called the EBC Games Manager.

Merge it with the above and we've got something clever and different here.

Make book reviews, movie reviews, game reviews? I can do a Dark Knight Rises and The Darkness II review?

Hmm... possibility if it provides activity. Personally I favour a bit more serious news and these bits to be filler but - hell. If it gets people buzzing around the EBC I'll take anything.

Webcomics: I'll start off by posting Gunnerkrigg Court, which is by far the best webcomic on the web out there and add new comics to syndicate if other people want. Or we could get somebody to do a webcomic for us.

Sounds good! Again, though, will these bits and pieces become the dominate 'stuff' or filler bits?

P.s. No rebranding! I like the EBC logo :p

P.s.s EBC Nation on NS is under moi's control. Passing the password onto Lethen

As I told McEntire, Gus, my JMs are certainly poachable for this. I'm sure if you asked in the Culture Ministry they'd love to help you out here.

I like the letters to the editor but, yeah, a few fake posts here-and-there to get it ticking over and make people realise it exists

Ooooo this is cool! There are online tool for it as well aren't there? Hmm.... need some sort of reward as well probably to keep people going with it.

Merge it with the above and we've got something clever and different here.

Hmm... possibility if it provides activity. Personally I favour a bit more serious news and these bits to be filler but - hell. If it gets people buzzing around the EBC I'll take anything.

Sounds good! Again, though, will these bits and pieces become the dominate 'stuff' or filler bits?

P.s. No rebranding! I like the EBC logo :p

P.s.s EBC Nation on NS is under moi's control. Passing the password onto Lethen
I'll get the Letters ball rolling with a fake drunk letter.

There are online tools but I'm not sure how to make them into widgets on the website. The trivia stuff is easier, we can just copy paste the questions. I'll do that soon.

The comics section, reviews, etc. are all filler but taken together with the news, they are why people read newspapers. Anyone can know the regional news just by looking around the forum, but when you have Skizzy's awesome op eds, my funny reviews, comics, games, etc., EBC becomes a destination.

If you can think of interesting topics, I can write some stuff too. :p

Reviews aren't my flavor...but anything? I could just do a piece where I write about whatever I want. ^_^

Back