EBC Presidential Debate Analysis

Two things. First of all, don't forget to check out my review of and poll on Call of Duty: Black Ops for Mac/PC (played a little on a friend's computer), which will be up tomorrow. Second of all, I can't do a live blog because my TV's broken, so I'll be livestreaming it on YouTube at the YouTube Politics Channel, and after the debate I will offer my opinion and analysis of the debate from an obviously liberal perspective, and I will invite anyone who watched it with a conservative point of view to debate me about it.

In my opinion (and I'm completely owning up to the fact that I'm a Democrat and my opinion is of course biased), I think that Romney stumbled massively and that Obama wiped the floor with him. It won't be as much of a blow to Romney as the first debate was to Obama because of Romney's spin doctors, but how can Romney justify his blatant lie that the President did not talk about the Libya attack as an act of terror until 14 days later when the President did so the day after at the Rose Garden?

And how can he keep putting out the untrue number of 23 million people out of work when the unemployment rate is 8.1% and doing some simple math would lead to a working population of 284 million in Romney's statistics when in fact only 198 million Americans make up the work pool? More importantly, how can Romney keep putting out platitudes that flip flop to get himself elected when he doesn't have the math or the experience as President to back him up? Obama also came off as more aggressive but still presidential and clearly did his homework; plus he FINALLY pulled out the 47% comment that Romney made at the last minute of the debate.

Seems like a unanimous victory for Obama so far. ^_^
The mean age on these forums might have something to do with that. I doubt everyone who voted even watched it.
You mean in our 20s, I presume.
Only because Skizzy is around. :p No, I guess Europeia is probably "older" than most regions. Atleast that I've seen, anyway.

As for the debate, you can't impartially analyze it. You either believe what they're saying or you don't. You either think what someone is saying is right or you don't. If you think Obama "wiped the floor" with Romney, your bias is overwhelming. That's not a criticism of you, it's an observation of this process as a whole. If you're going to grade the candidates it can only be in one category: how many people they persuaded to vote for them. I think if immigration is important to you, Romney impressed you tonight while the President seemed lost and obtrusive. If energy is a priority, the President certainly outpaced Romney. On the economy, it really depends on what you believe in. Both had excellent closing statements.

Final note, do some reading on employment figures and how they work and what they actually measure before you sart calling people liars. You're ill-informed on this subject.

I watched it all, and I thought it was fairly equal. Romney stumbled a couple of times trying to attack Obama, but he deflected Obama's attacks well. When it came time for them to speak and explain their policies, yet again Romney appeared slightly more passionate on the economic issues. Obama was left to attack Romney instead of setting forwards his own vision. If the election is being fought on the economy, Romney wins. But surely America's recent slight growth will work against him and for Obama. I think thats the true stumbling block in this debate and with the Republican strategy, a lot of neutrals are just going to think it's not "that bad" that they have to vote for Romney. We'll see.

The destructive roundhouse of a wrap-up Obama laid down in the final few minutes sealed it for me, though I thought it was fairly toe-to-toe throughout.

a lot of neutrals are just going to think it's not "that bad" that they have to vote for Romney. We'll see.
In your opinion are those people going to stay home?
I'd guess so, yes. I can't see them voting for Obama really, even though a lot of them did in 2008. It's just a question if they'll vote for Romney or no one, and judging by that debate, no one.

I didn't watch. The consensus of the news reports is that we either had a draw or a narrow victory for Obama. There's no practical difference between those two assessments, imo.

Carry on, young'uns. :p

Seems like a unanimous victory for Obama so far. ^_^
The mean age on these forums might have something to do with that. I doubt everyone who voted even watched it.
You mean in our 20s, I presume.
Only because Skizzy is around. :p No, I guess Europeia is probably "older" than most regions. Atleast that I've seen, anyway.

As for the debate, you can't impartially analyze it. You either believe what they're saying or you don't. You either think what someone is saying is right or you don't. If you think Obama "wiped the floor" with Romney, your bias is overwhelming. That's not a criticism of you, it's an observation of this process as a whole. If you're going to grade the candidates it can only be in one category: how many people they persuaded to vote for them. I think if immigration is important to you, Romney impressed you tonight while the President seemed lost and obtrusive. If energy is a priority, the President certainly outpaced Romney. On the economy, it really depends on what you believe in. Both had excellent closing statements.

Final note, do some reading on employment figures and how they work and what they actually measure before you sart calling people liars. You're ill-informed on this subject.
Actually, I did. This is here: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn...0,7773454.story

I didn't watch. The consensus of the news reports is that we either had a draw or a narrow victory for Obama. There's no practical difference between those two assessments, imo.

Carry on, young'uns. :p
Would you rather we talk about Nixon and Kennedy, old man?

(You aren't that old, but I liked the reference :p)

I caught the second half while working, so I can't say I watched too closely. I favor the narrow Obama victory assessment, though a draw isn't a terribly unfair one either. Certainly far from Obama having "wiped the floor" with Romney though.

As Skizzy said, what this means in practical terms is that the debate will have a negligible effect on polling numbers and undecided voters. Of course, I made the same prediction for the first one :p . But I'd say it's a much safer bet with this one.

Back