EBC Poll: Euro Approves of Inter-Regional Chat

EBC Poll: Euro Approves of Inter-Regional Chat
As Senate elections approach, region favors IRC, generally approves of incumbents

Written by McEntire

With senate elections in 9 days and the current senate voting on the Inter-Regional Chat (IRC) proposal, Europeia approves of the job that this senate has done, and of the IRC itself. This poll was conducted over the last week, and saw 25 responses. First, we will re-cap respondents' opinions on the IRC, then move on to our senate approvals, and finally discuss the upcoming elections!

The Inter-Regional Chat

Forms response chart. Question title: Do you believe that the Senate should pass the current Basic Structure of the Inter-Regional Chat?. Number of responses: 24 responses.
To begin, respondents nearly-unanimously favor the passage of the current Basic Structure of the Inter-Regional Chat. The Senate looks likely to approve the structure shortly, and if this basic question is any indication they are doing so with the backing of the Europeian public.

Forms response chart. Question title: Do you approve or disapprove of the process by which the Inter-Regional Chat treaty was negotiated?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Forms response chart. Question title: Do you believe that Europeia should have guaranteed representation on the administration/moderation team of the Inter-Regional Chat?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: If Europeia is not represented on the administration/moderation team of the Inter-Regional Chat, should we participate in it?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: Will you participate in the Inter-Regional Chat?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Additional questions on the IRC show a level of nuance that the Europeian public is known for. All sides of the IRC debate can claim some alignment with public opinion, here. First, Europeians are split on whether or not they approve of the process by which the IRC was negotiated.36 percent approve, 40 percent disapprove, 16 percent are neutral, and 8 percent don't know. While not a ringing vote of confidence for the IRC negotiation process, neither is it a ringing condemnation.

With a 52 percent majority, Europeians believe that we should have guaranteed representation on the administration/moderation team of the IRC. However, even in the event that we are not represented on the moderation team (which, we should note, is regarded by many FA experts as highly unlikely), a 48 percent plurality believe that we should still participate. In the case that we are not represented in administering and moderating the IRC, 40 percent of Europeians oppose our participation in it.

Finally, despite the political back-and-forth, 76 percent of Europeians plan to participate in the IRC. The myriad comments we received on this issue show a wide range of opinions, but respondents found consensus on the fact that they want to participate!

It's a no-brainer. I'm shocked by the opposition it's seeing.

Full support

euro may not have 'guaranteed' representation but the founding region veto will mean that every founding region is basically guaranteed at least one admin. this concern is overblown

We should participate no matter what.

I understand the hesitation but the admin selection process as it currently stands in the latest iteration is satisfactory for me.

I think it's neat

The debate could have been a lot worse than it ended up being, so I guess I'll say I'm happy with it. But man, we still have a long way to go when it comes to having regionwide debates and treating each other with respect.

I'm not super familiar with all the details but it seems like a good idea!

It seems like it was poorly communicated during Pichtonia's term, but that shouldn't stop us from being a part of the project and having a seat at the table.

Much of the Senate's discussion of this and the focus on a legal guarantee of representation is misplaced and fails to appreciate the text of the treaty as a whole. The treaty is set up in such a way that we can guarantee representation if we want it without the potential unwanted side effects of rigid representation quotas.

The idea that a sitting president would come in and basically poo poo a treaty with those signatories before saying "meh, I guess we should anyway" is embarrassing and hurts Europeia.

Pichto was bad at negotiating it, Calvin has been good, and I don't think we should have guaranteed administration either way, we need to trust the others. Besides, we're better off in it either way

It has been poorly handled from an FA standpoint, and unfortunately most of that appears to have been a conscious decision from Pichtonia - MoFA not involved, ignoring Senate concerns etc. And there are some concerning omissions and informal guarantees in regards to the admin team, which should have been adequately addressed at an earlier stage. However, it is unfortunately too late for that now and the Senate really has no choice but to enter the agreement. Lessons should be learned from this episode, to avoid future mishaps.

The Senate

Forms response chart. Question title: Are you satisfied with the performance of the Senate so far?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Pretty decent term

hit and miss on activity and participation in senate discussion threads

Really disappointing with the abstains and then with IRC.

Some good debates being had, still fairly active

There seems to be an emerging dynamic of CSP coming in as a disrupter and Lloen as an institutionalist. Very interesting.

I can't say I like everything the Senate has passed, but it's active and engaged with the region.

The senate boasts a 68 percent satisfaction rate, which is solid although not one of the highest approval ratings a senate has ever seen. This senate tops the previous senate's final approval rating of 50 percent. Commenters noted this senate's activity, but some disagreed with some of its actions. That may explain the lack of "very satisfied" responses, although the region seems to appreciate senators' activity this term.

Speaker UPC
Forms response chart. Question title: Are you satisfied with the performance of Senate Speaker UPC?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
UPC has failed to update the legislative records and has blanked on procedure written in the SPA on multiple occasions.

seems to be stepping up to the plate. no complaints

Active and engaging

Nothing egregiously done wrong, but things have been a little slower with moving from stage to stage (others have had to prod for movement) and I don't think Grand Hall threads have been consistently started for new legislation. It's his first time at the helm, though, so some growing pains are understandable.

I didn't expect UPC to do such a good job, very satisfied, I'm impressed with his service as speaker. He earned it by continuing his hard work.
Active, engaged, still has some to learn.

Rushed the Naval Guidelines a bit, otherwise very good

Senate Speaker UPC appears to have acquitted himself well since rising to the senate's top job when Calvin Coolidge became president. The speaker has an 80 percent approval rate, with nearly half of that registering as "very satisfied." Despite some nitpicks in the comments, Speaker UPC appears to have done well in his freshman term as speaker, and as we will see below is in strong shape for re-election, should he so choose.

Senator GraVandius

Forms response chart. Question title: Are you satisfied with the performance of Senator GraVandius?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
GraV would have made a good Speaker

An alright term for GraV

GraV checks all the boxes you want to see in a Senator: active, confident, and gives thorough explanations of his votes. Well done.

Grav is probably the best senator in the Senate rn

The senator with the highest overall satisfaction is GraVandius, with an 84 percent satisfaction rate. One commenter wished that the mid-term speaker election had gone differently, and that Senator GraVandius had become Speaker GraVandius, a position he has held before. These strong numbers would put GraVandius in a good position to be a leader in the next senate, and he is clearly one of our region's valued senators.

Senator Lloenflys

Forms response chart. Question title: Are you satisfied with the performance of Senator Lloenflys?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Sad that Lloen will not be returning next term

a little inflexible sometimes

IRC bad, otherwise good

Thoughtful posts and lots of them

Doesn't seem to be very open-minded or interested in taking risks lately.
Senator Lloenflys sports the highest "very satisfied" rating of any senator, and ties the speaker with an 80 percent satisfaction rate. A couple of commenters described Lloenflys as inflexible this term, which echoes a comment in the general senate satisfaction regarding the senator as an "institutionalist." That inflexibility, whether real or just perceived, did not hurt Lloenflys' approval, and he ends the term as a very popular member of the senate indeed.

Senator Common-Sense Politics

Forms response chart. Question title: Are you satisfied with the performance of Senator Common-Sense Politics?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
Since being elected has been an meaningful contributor

CSP is doing what CSP is going to do in any role. He's going to tell you what he thinks and he can be very rude about that. Can't say I am surprised, but I don't have to like how he operates.

CSP is emerging as a leader in terms of making the Senate a more assertive, powerful institution. He doesn't seem to have a lot of company in the Senate itself but I think he does outside of it.

May be his style, but seems a bit too confrontational for my liking

Right in the middle of the pack is the senate's most junior member, Senator Common-Sense Politics. CSP has a 76% approval rating, not appreciably lower than his colleagues above, and was commended on his short tenure by poll respondents. Multiple respondents addressed the senator's "confrontational" style, which many more-experienced Europeians may be familiar with. The strong approval ratings show that Senator CSP's contributions are appreciated by a large majority of respondents.

Senator Monkey

Forms response chart. Question title: Are you satisfied with the performance of Senator Monkey?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
sometimes felt like monkey couldn't separate his service as minister from his role as senator. the opposition to the naval policy act felt a little defensive about the executive

Active and contributing lots

Monkey is a Senator who I always understand why he is doing what he's doing, and I see that he is doing a lot. Really great term from him.

I don't agree with Monkey all the time but he is a thoughtful, thorough senator.

Although Senator Monkey is the fifth highest-rated senator, he still has a high approval rating of 72 percent. Commenters praised Monkey's activity and visibility. Overall, a strong term for Senator Monkey, particularly to sustain such a high level of activity while being in cabinet.

Senator Xecrio

Forms response chart. Question title: Are you satisfied with the performance of Senator Xecrio?. Number of responses: 25 responses.
He has completely flip flopped on multiple occasions, it often appears he does not put the effort into reading the proposed bills and has been a marginal participant in most discussions.

Xecrio has been lax in the second half

Not really a stand-out Senator but good overall

Less participation than desirable, but he has indicated real life time constraints.

Senator Xecrio sports a dismal 20 percent approval rating, due to real-life activity constraints. These are presumably the same constraints that caused him to pull out of the role of radio minister early in to the presidential term. Still, a large portion of respondents said that they were "neutral" on Senator Xecrio and those who are unsatisfied do not represent a majority of respondents, only a plurality. Senator Xecrio may retain a base of goodwill.

The Next Election

Forms response chart. Question title: Which of the following Senators would you vote to re-elect (select all that apply)?. Number of responses: 25 responses.

With the exception of Xecrio, a majority of respondents would elect to re-elect all other Senators. The most favored for re-election, according to this analysis, is Speaker UPC, who would be favored to be re-elected by 88 percent of respondents. Not all Senators have made their re-election plans known, but these results can give us some insight into how they might fare (and might nudge those who have not yet decided on re-election).

Europeians have many ideas of who should be in the next Senate, with one respondent simply saying "lots." Those Europeians receiving a mention are as follows:
  • Malashaan (4)
  • Grandfatherclock (3)
  • Seva (3)
  • Klatonia (3)
  • Prim (3)
  • Astrellan (2)
  • Forilian (2)
  • HEM
  • Sopo
  • John Laurens
  • Maowi
  • SkyGreen24
  • Kazaman
  • Darkslayer
  • Darcness
  • Drecq
  • Lime
At a time when many big issues are before the senate, it looks like there is a wide-open field for the next election. The variety of names mentioned by respondents could indicate that we are in for a big field. Those who are thinking about a senate bid may be encouraged to do so, especially the names on this list.

Last edited:
A pretty wide range of opinions on the IRC, which says to me that people really are digging deep into the information, and coming to their own conclusions. Love to see that, and love to see this poll! Excellent stuff.

I’d be interested in finding out what the person that saw me as inflexible about was paying attention to - if it was the IRC I suspect today’s vote might change their mind about my flexibility on that issue. If it was the Contempt of Senate issue, guilty as charged. I guess I don’t see flexibility as a virtue in most instances - open-mindedness yes but not flexibility. Service in the Senate requires a certain courage of your convictions on your principle beliefs, and I guess I’m ok with that looking like inflexibility. If it was a different issue entirely that led to that comment, I’d just be interested in hearing what it was!

CSP is doing what CSP is going to do in any role. He's going to tell you what he thinks and he can be very rude about that. Can't say I am surprised, but I don't have to like how he operates.
Please detail one situation is which I have expressed myself in a way that could possibly be described as inappropriate in the Senate. I'll wait. Maybe you're bringing your past baggage into this poll? Super mature, enlightened move on your part.

EDIT: Also, @ me next time.

Please detail one situation is which I have expressed myself in a way that could possibly be described as inappropriate in the Senate. I'll wait. Maybe you're bringing your past baggage into this poll? Super mature, enlightened move on your part.

EDIT: Also, @ me next time.
It's weird... that comment and the one about "May be his style, but seems a bit too confrontational for my liking" make me want to vote for you. One of the legislators being a no-nonsense, straightforward legislator? Yes, please.

The debate could have been a lot worse than it ended up being, so I guess I'll say I'm happy with it. But man, we still have a long way to go when it comes to having regionwide debates and treating each other with respect.
I don't really get this comment. The region had a good healthy debate on an important treaty, and while people may have disagreed I didn't see any insults being thrown about or anything that really gave me cause for concern. This was a great example of how the region can have constructive debate in my opinion, and I hope to see more of it in the future.

The closest you could get to "not showing respect" was CSP suggesting Calvin was annoyed about "not getting his way." That was nothing more than a political "attack" and that's to be expected from time to time in a political simulator. While I disagreed with his assessment I don't think it was rude or combative.

Euro has had bad debates in the past, this was not one of them.

Overall, I am impressed with the numbers that are shown here, in terms of the IRC. I am glad to see people wanting to support its passage, and furthermore willing to participate in the final server.
I already went through all the Senate approval ratings on-air, and they are mostly what I had expected. The only weird factor was a much lower percentage of poll-takers saying they'd reelect GraV than had given a satisfied approval rating. In any case, I'm excited for the next Senate, now that standing has opened!

I'm positively surprised that I'm mentioned a lot here, but I am not running in the near future, sorry to disappoint. Maybe at some point in the future!

very good analysis, and I am also happy to see the overwhelming support for the IRC!

This is the second or third time I've seen a comment like this (after The Embassy debate, after the IRC discussion). I could throw out some thoughtful and insightful long-form post about this; I could talk about the interesting dynamics at play with our more social players vs. our more political players. I could. But I won't. I'm going to play the "been there, done that, have the t-shirt" card: when did we start to get so soft? These are two of the most civilized discussions I've seen in Euro in a good while - at least since the reform discussions - relative to the controversy level. It's baffling that someone is going to see those threads and think "wow, so disrespectful."

Pichto was bad at negotiating it, Calvin has been good, and I don't think we should have guaranteed administration either way, we need to trust the others. Besides, we're better off in it either way
Emphasis mine. I can roll my eyes and perhaps chuckle at the attitude that we should trust other admin teams to be as professional as we are, and I'm not going to rehash *why* from an admin perspective this has been somewhat bungled and what safety concerns are at play now. But it's plain foolish to suggest that we don't need and shouldn't have guaranteed administration. If we want to protect our community, particularly when we're directing them to a third-party server that is going to be less secure than our own, we absolutely need at least one voice in the room with the tools to protect everyone in said server.

Back