EBC Interviews: President Cerian Quilor

In the first of a series of Interviews this term, we here at the EBC have decided that it's best to start at the top with first time President Cerian Quilor.

Seven Deaths: What made you decide to run for President now? A term ago, I'd say you seemed content to live out the rest of your NS life as a Citizen. What changed?

Cerian Quilor: I was, but then I had someone whose opinion I trust suggest that I run. Even then, I was still hesitant, until I saw some supportive discussion in one of the 'Presidential speculation' threads. It whetted my appetite and I shopped around for Cabinet ministers, as well as asking Drecq to be my Running mate. Once I got some positive responses, I figured that I actually had a chance, so once Drecq and I had a platform, we ran.

SD: What made you choose Drecq as your VP Candidate?

CQ: My domestic record is a little spotty, as most of my energy as a JM/AM has been in foreign Affairs, as well as my commentary and interest in NS. Plus, for my vision of systematic CSO reform, I knew we needed someone with a track record of hard work and ideas. And I figured having someone as likeable as Drecq with his domestic track record would help me win. What really sealed the deal, though, as the fact that our visions for the new CSO and a few other projects were close in terms of what we wanted. So far. Drecq has only exceded my high expectations.

SD: What are you looking forward to most about being President? And what are you looking forward to the least?

CQ: I'm most looking forward to being able to leave some kind of legacy. Maybe my little entry into the Republica Portraits Gallery of past Presidents. I want to make sure that my Presidency leaves Europeia with an improvement that will last a long time. As for least looking forward? Well, whatever my first major screwup is. Hopefully, I won't actually have one, but If I do, both it and the fallout are something I'm dreading.

SD: You've been in Europeia a long time now, Mr.President. Do you have anyone you'd consider to be your Mentor or guide? Someone you look up to?

CQ: I don't know If I'd say I have a specific mentor, but as looking up to someone, I'd say most of the old hands around this region, the people who have built Europeia into what it is today. If I had to name some specific names, as people at the top of that list, I'd say HEM, Lethen and Skizzy Grey.

SD: I realize that it is still early in your "honeymoon period," but what are your thoughts for next term. Are you considering running again?

CQ: In short, no. While the Summer will still be going when my term ends, the second half of a hypthetical second term would be during the beginning of my Senior year of College - which is when I'll have my Senior Thesis to do. It wouldn't do my Thesis or Europeia any justice to try to be President for that second half, or to seek the Presidency with only serving half a term as my intent.

SD: How do you feel about the current affairs of Europeia right now? How do you hope they will differ by the end of your term?

CQ: I feel like, for the "Summer Slump", we're doing pretty good. I think Europeia's future, as long as we as a region make the effort to work at it. And as for the end of my term, I hope that we have completed the CSO and Culture Reforms to create a more responsive region that will continue to rationalize our use of manpower and resources.

There you have it! President Cerian Quilor in all his glory. Good luck Mr.President on the remainder of your term. Next time, we'll be interviewing newly elected World Assembly Delegate Elias Greyjoy where hopefully, the interviewing skills of this Director will improve! Good night everyone, MinComm out.

I'm not sure that's true. And one of the key parts of my platform is to not let the forseen slump actually stop us from continuing working.

Seven Deaths said:
Vinage said:
Good interview but I agree with HEM about slumps. If we keep saying 'we are in a summer slump' or we are approaching one then we end up creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Meh. I don't think it's that much of a detriment that we should avoid the s-word. I mean, sure we should stop blaming inactivity on that, but it's not like it isn't true.
True but we almost expect it as an inevitability. While during the summer month people are outside more, there is also no school/college/university.

I despise nebulous, ambiguous concepts being used to tell us that there is a problem with the Republic. If the foundations are solid, if the efforts are solid, the Republic is solid. Never mind what would-be weathermen want to say about how the atmosphere "feels" like at any point in time.

These days, less important than in most regions, I feel. We had four freaking pages of Active Topics for almost a full week recently, and rarely dip to two pages. We are damned active. Most of "slumps" in the Republic are probably observation bias.

Back