EBC Executive Term Poll

EBC Executive Term Poll
By Marnip, Calvin Coolidge, Aexindaral Seymour, Kaboom

We would first like to thank all of our respondents for participating in our recent poll. These polls allow the EBC to analyze situations and performance in the region, and we appreciate high turn outs in order to properly determine the opinion of the region. The EBC is excited to bring you the results below.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of President Trinnien this term?

Do you have any comments on this member of the Executive?
Solid, active, and handled situations seriously and promptly.
He did pretty well for a first term
Statements lacked power where they should have had it, and I have a feeling he's been lacking in true vision moving forward. However, he did good for his first term.
Not bad but not great. Pretty good.
O.K.
Great guy, Trinnien. Very popular in the public eye especially with newcomers. Reasonably good chance of re-election if he decides to stand.
I think he responded well and quickly to everything presented this term, including Predator and his own illness.
Illness put a bit of a damper on the middle of the term even though Calvin was an effective enough replacement. Overall, good, timely responses to FA issues and very visible.
Rocky start with respect to his fighting with the Senate intitially but overall after that bump he started to find his place and do well. Id like to see him be President again.
fights with legislature and lack of executive restraint.
Solid for first term, but his FA vision was truly lacking.
Decent Leader. Generaly active and present but failed to get as much done and was bery status-quo-y
International Paper, a major campaign pillar, never saw the light of day, nor even discussed much to my knowledge.
Failed to come through on campaign promises
Good but was expecting better
Average: 7.06

It appears that many individuals rated the President in the middle of the road with an average score of 7.06. Many individuals liked his professionalism in many aspects of the Presidency but feel as though he didn't do anything to revolutionize the position.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Vice President Calvin Coolidge this term?

He did good as well
More visible.
More mediocre.
O.K. preformed well as emergancy president
Calvin is pretty awesome, always out to help, reliable person, lots of experience, very technically capable and highly intelligent, the people love Calvin. C'mon, how can you not love a panda?
Was much more visible and took over effectively when the President went on a LoA due to illness.
Calvin improved much from his last stint as VP, maintaining an active presence on the forums and taking on a couple of notable projects, like his Pokemon thing.
Acted well during the illness crisis but im not entirely sure i would vote for him to be president
Much more visible than used to be.
Was great: more active and more visable. Viable candidate for top job.
Improvement seen
Stepped up to the plate when called upon by the President.
improvement
Average: 6.44

Calvin Coolidge scored below average for his tenure as Vice-President this term. Many were impressed with his overall activity, but many considered the term middle of the road. This term may hurt his chances for a successful Presidential campaign.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Foreign Affairs Minister Kraketopia this term?

Seminars and deputy training has gone well.
WAH and DTC have been a huge success.
Pretty good. Quiet.
O.K.
Kraketopia has done a good job of fixing a broken MoFA. This former president is fun-loving yet also can be very serious and hard-working when necessary (which is always).
Absent some of the time, but he effectively lead his group with a lot of teaching and exercises.
When Kraken was present, he was very effective, but there were noticeable times during the term where there didn't seem to be much visible activity within MoFA - including in the training seminars on Skype. His efforts, however, do go to show that the refocused angle for MoFA can be effective, and I hope that the next President/MoFA continue that approach.
Kraken's seminars were interesting and informative, but I don't feel that the Deputy system is working out. Netz took a leave and was not replaced. There have been no updates on their activities or progress, so I have absolutely no idea what they do, if anything. The World Affairs Hub could have been better utilized. Perhaps the deputies could lead discussions as well? I don't feel that Kraken kept the promise of his Presidency and subsequent FA term to truly revamp how we handle FA organizationally.
when he put in the effort he was good but a lot of things seemed to have fallen to the way side
Kraken is Kraken, took points off because of brief inactivity.
Average: 6.94

Kraken was rated below average compared to the rest of the cabinet this term. He was highly praised in the comments for his seminars but his brief inactivity hurt his rating overall.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Interior Minister Aexnidaral Seymour this term?

Good leadership in getting people to recruit.
Spurring recruitment greatly
I see the work as more recruiters and less him.
Did what Minister of Interior should do by keeping things running and keeping people recruiting even if he didn't.
O.K. approachable. capabel. seemes to handle his job well. impressed by population rise. did a good job.
Great job, adored by the people, more so than any other major Europeian politician. Very capable of this role, personally I don't think he was as good as Malashaan but Malashaan was practically flawless in technique. Aexnidaral, if he stood, could win against probably everyone. Also doing that on top of being speaker of the Senate.
We beat the record we set out to, becoming on the top UCR's! I say that says it all!
Recruiting has been great, but I'm not sure what efforts have been made in integration.
he did good. hes no mal but you cant deny we are in a better place than we were two months ago. more active newbies and more nations. overall a success
Good job with Interior this term
Not impressed.
Average: 8.00

The only cabinet member to have an average above 8 this term, Seymour had high activity in his Ministry this term. Many praised the influx of new members and push for more recruitment by Seymour, which attributed to his high rating. Some mentioned that he did the job of the Interior but didn't do anything revolutionary.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Culture Minister Ferdy this term?

Good work, especially following the strong term of Netz
Didn't see much from Ferdy
Pretty good.
Great followup to Netz. Awesome for a first timer.
less thrn O.K. seemed to do really well at first but faltered mid trem
Ferdy is fairly new, like myself. They have done reasonably well with this fun but important role, planning Drecq's ovation, discussing of an anthem and constantly pushing people to play the weekend games. Reasonably good job.
A little quiet, but our events went well and our games were bustling and active, even drawing a non-spammer like me in.
A good effort from Ferdy, but I don't feel like he himself was a strong presence in his own Ministry's activities.
ferdy has done a great job and excelled in the position. i hope he is givern another chance.
Not impressed, but decent.
Needed some assistance in the beginning.
Average: 7.25

Ferdy falls right at the average this term for the cabinet. Many praise him for doing a good job as a relative newcomer to the forums.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Communications Minister Marnip this term?

Mixlr was used effectively during his term
Good, however, the ineffective set-up of the ministry internally has led to both confusion and a large disconnect between the top tier staff and writers.
A little spotty but understandably busy. He did a good job. Wish we had more mixlrs.
did O.K. shouldhave had more mixelers
Marnip has done very well in his nearly full term as MoC. Showing more serious broadcasts on mixlr, EBC, endlessly churning out great articles, dispatches being made, using the update squad. Not particularly popular in Europeia but as vice delegate on top of this clearly Marnip is devoted to Europeia.
A little quiet with some inactive deputies. It took some time to get the ball rolling on projects, and some are not even complete.
Some activity/visibility issues, but overall, a solid term from communications, which kept the Upvoting Squad intact and also produced a fair bit of content. More Mixlr shows would have been nice, but there were still some produced on a semi-consistent basis, at least.
Good work from Marnip in spurts, but the "news" portion of the EBC has been sorely lacking. I appreciate the good utilization of mixlr and DH's wine posts, but we could use more old fashioned EBC pieces.
Bit inactive at times, recent work is good though.
i am disappointed we didnt have as many mixlrs but i know he was busy irl with exams and i cant fault him with that. the mixlrs we have done as a region turned out to be great. i certainly hope he gets another chance to continue his work
Bit inactive
Not impressed, and internal communications has had a pretty rough term of communicating with each other. And Mixlr.
Good output from the EBC this term, with some interesting and new articles. Mixlr wasn't dead, which was good.
Average: 7.36

Marnip finished slightly above average with a rating of 7.36 this term. Many found the output and activity of the term to be good but his brief inactivity in the middle of the term hurt his overall score.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Attorney General Drecq this term?

Drecq is Drecq
Good.
great atoorney general
I am extremely disappointed with the department of Justice, while I don't believe it is all at the fault of Drecq, he's not totally innocent in the matter of the stagnant department. I love Drecq, I really do, his ovation is well-deserved. This term is subpar.
NA
The AG's job is simple, and Drecq has done it.
good enough. idk. its the AG. its hard to fail.
Good enough.
Average: 7.08

Drecq finished this term slightly below average for the cabinet as a whole. However, many say Drecq has done the job of the AG well and had little negative things to attribute to his position.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Grand Admiral Writinglegend this term?

Excellent leadership of the Navy.
#ERN #Yas #WL #OMG
ERN has done well.
Good. Adapted well.
did O.K.
Great job with making lots of missions, I can't really say too much about it because I am not part of the ERN. But Writinglegend is a great leader with lots of integrity and lots of love from/for the people. With 3 successive presidential terms under his belt, I see no reason why he couldn't be re-elected, the only thing that could hold him back is VP choice.
Not only did we learn a new way to tag with the updates, but we've had a lot of fun this term!
WL impresses as always.
good. adapted well to the new cahnges.
Solid, as usual.
Average: 7.75

Writinglegend finished slightly above average for the term with a rating of 7.75. Many were impressed with how he handled the new updates and his general leadership of the ERN.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Minister Without Portfolio Mousebumples this term?

Current Women in NationStates Symposium is awesome.
Women in NS was absolutely brilliant but I don't believe it was necessary for this to be a cabinet position.
Helped around where she was needed, and the Woman's thing has been cool
ok...
O.K. job but i feel thiis is an unnnecesssary position
Mousebumples, as ever, never fails to impress, her 'women in NS' project is extremely interesting. She always dedicates her time to us and uses the Ministries to the best of her extensive abilities. Mousebumples is well loved across NationStates, receiving a commendation but her impact and love of politics is displayed nowhere more so than Europeia. She is Europeia's longest ever standing WA delegate. This extremely loveable member of our community has done lots for us in the last 5 years. Mousebumples has a personal touch to her work that many are missing, that is what elevates her above everyone else.
I know the President said she did stuff, but I might have missed it. We had a great Symposium though. Would have liked to have had updates from her like the rest of the ministries.
I'm a big fan of the Women in NS Conference which was facilitated by Mouse's presence in the Cabinet. We shouldn't be so hesitant to embrace roles like this in the future.
Symposium is good
moues was fantastic. i hope that eventually she will be president again
Other than the symposium what did she do?
Women in NS is great.
Not sure what Mouse did - but I'm sure she did it.
Average: 6.83

Mouse finished below average compared to the rest of the cabinet this term. Many of the comments cited that the low rating was not due to Mouse overall, but due to their belief that the position was not needed.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the overall performance of the entire administration?

Do you have any comments on the cabinet overall?
Good, solid but not transformative.
O.K. ironical strong points were interior
Generally well run, if Europeia continually has governments like this, we shall be fine for a long time. Good choices by goldenblock avenue.
I felt the administration was active, engaged, and having fun this term!
Overall, a solid team that made solid progress in various areas this term. One of the rare times when no one in the administration needed to be removed or replaced due to inactivity or ineffectiveness. (Minus Trinn's week-long break due to illness.)
I'm pleased with the term. A mix of good and bad, but mostly good. No minister was exceptionally poor, but no one really stood out as the team captain.
a very capable and strong term. something to be proud of.
This was a really phenomenal term! Trinnien should be proud of his Cabinet, and his Cabinet should be proud of what they were able to accomplish!!!!!!
Pretty good.
Pretty solid term overall. Nothing remarkable, but nothing terrible. A forgettable term, but not meant in a negative way. More that Euro continued to do what Euro does: be excellent.
Average: 7.28

The cabinet received praise for being consistent and getting the job done when it needed to be done. However, many did not give higher ratings because the cabinet did not revolutionize the executive branch this term.

If these Cabinet members were nominated to be in the Cabinet again next term, who would you like to see reconfirmed?

Reasons for not confirming any of the above?
All of them did well, so I wouldn't be upset if they came back to their roles, but I hope there are fresh faces as well.
Ferdy I feel is not fully suited to MoC and could be significantly better in another ministry or another branch of government. Drecq I feel doesn't belong as AG, he deserves to be CJ or Grand Admiral as that is where he really excelled. Writinglegend would be significantly better if more focused on the judiciary government.
Mouse's role is undefined to the outsider looking in - if her talents aren't being maximized find a cabinet spot that will do just that. Has Marnip done enough this term? And wait, Ferdy is a Minister? who knew!
Some just didn't shine in the spotlight like they really should have.
I'd have questions - notably for Kraketopia - about his perceived activity given the changes in his RL/job situation. However, if he felt that he could effectively do the job, I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
Kraken has ambitious plans but hasn't been able to follow through. Let someone else take a crack at it. I wouldn't mind seeing Ferdy confirmed again, but I'm not entirely convinced he's the best choice. Depends on who else is available.
Just not sure without portfolio is necessary - not a judgment on Mouse's work.
Change

Many individuals said that they would like to see several cabinet members reconfirmed. Many of the top individuals have high ratings compared to the rest of the cabinet this term.

How do you feel about the President's usage of Executive Orders this term?

Do you have any comments on the Executive Orders?

EO 94 was a colossal clusterfuck.
Likely good that Trinnien moved past using them after the first part of the term.
At first the President seemed EO crazy. Glad he settled.
Shit spree.
bad.
I felt they were not done excessively and every one had a reason behind that that was logical to the matter at hand.
The President overstepped his authority early in the term with his use of EO.
Their use should generally be limited to addressing urgent or minor administrative matters. Otherwise, leaving things to the deliberative process in the Senate is preferable.
Trinnien overstepped his bounds with EOs this term; he attempted to bypass the separation of powers that exists within the region and used EOs to legislate directly rather than allowing the Senate to do it's job. The last person to do this was Falconais.
Over extended powers
awful
Oversteped Seperation of Powers
Many viewed the use of Executive Orders by the President this term negatively. Many cite that the President used the EO's prematurely and state that the President may have overstepped his bounds in a few cases.

Do you feel the Minister without Portfolio position is necessary?

no
No.
Necessary? No. Useful? Possibly, yes.
not especially
I would have preferred to see Mouse in Culture.
not realy but its not bad either
I can see why it was used, but it's a very dependent position.
Absolutely not. A MwP position is largely unnecessary.
Eh.
mouse did it O.K. but i rally think this is unnecessary
Yes.
If it brings someone into the fold along with their insight and work as a highly-skilled floater and you can't find a minister position for them, then keep it
Neutral. I doesn't seem to do any harm.
Depends on the President, the Minister in question, and what plans they have for the course of the term. I think it worked out well in this case, but I don't know that a MwP (or Mousebumples in particular as MwP) is needed for all Cabinets going forward.
Maybe not strictly necessary, but I think Mouse's presence in the Cabinet enabled her to put together the Women in NS event in coordination with others.
Symposium was the only thing I saw usefull
Not necessary, but often useful
No it is not but Mouse did good
In some circumstances, yes, in this circumstance definitely not. Considering it produced nothing of value and was just a way for Trinnien to get his friend into the cabinet without holding her responsible for any actual duties or responsibilities.
Nope
No
Not sure what this minister accomplished in that role.
nope
Not necessary, but if a President wants it, let them have it.
A large majority feel the MOP position is unnecessary. However, some state that if the President feels more comfortable with the MOP by his side, to let them have it.

Do you believe the region is on the right track?

Many individuals feel that the region is on the right track and will prosper in the future.

If the election were held today, without knowing any of the candidates, would you reelect President Trinnien?

A large majority cite that they would support the president should he run again.

What was the biggest accomplishment this term?
Women and NS Symposium and Surpassing 10KI briefly
Rethinking update raids and the Women in NS convention
Beating even temporarily, 10KI in total nations
Surpassing 10,000 Islands in population.
10ki population achievement!!!
Nothing was really a big accomplishment that I could see and that I can think of
Women in NS and reconfiguration of triggering in the ERN.
10kislands population/population increase. Women in NS.
Population highs were really big, but overall Trinnien's handled the foreign side of things really well, esp. the things that were set in motion by the Predator scandal and punishment.
I believe our recruitment efforts reaching an all-time high!
Beating 10KI in nation population - even if it only lasted for a day or two.
The President's professional and reasonable response to Predator.
Recruitment record
Achieving an all-time high in nations in 4 months, the 2nd highest in Europeia's history.
Interior is operating smoothly.
Our recruiting efforts definitely. The short time we were ahead of 10KI before the retook the lead from us was definitely impressive.
Recruitment Record
Symposium
Women in NS Symposium?
Ovation/ Recruitment record
Ending alliance with TNI

What was the biggest disappointment this term?
There weren't really any big disappointments.
The lack of visionary FA policy.
No international paper, inconsistent Mixlr
International paper :(
No change in anything really
International Paper and Mixlr
Mixlrs. International paper. FA.
CA masking has been destroyed.
without looking at what was promised during elections, I'm gonna say communication. I really want to see mixlr get off the ground with regular programming. Emphasis on "regular."
Some of the bickering that occurred between the Senate and President.
That our "victory over 10KI" only lasted a day or two.
FA organizational structure.
Contested status between legislative and president.
Comms, and particularly mixlr, is still developing slower than I would like. It wasn't bad this term, but I expected more.
Culture has been on a slippery slope for some time now, and this term continued it.
Everything else
Weekend Games
Mixlr
General lack of substantial refourm
Lack of Progressive Change
Lack of breaking status-quo

What surprised you most about this term?
The recruitment boom.
Activity in the role play hub
Activity in Cultural Hub
Eh just complacency
That time Trinnien ushered in the tragically short-lived Theocratic Republic of Nethel
Predator and its consequences.
Calvin's good performance as VP.
How poor a job Trinnien did, I expected better from him.
Women in NS
General lack of substantial refourm

What do you think will be the biggest issue in the next election?
Integration
Retention and integration
The CA changes in membership
Predator and relations with purist raider organizations.
Who to appoint as Ministers.
Mixlr, capitalizing on population milestone to bring on newcomers (i.e. integration), the stained blue jorts that Aditya forgot to throw out after his torrid affair with VP Panda
How can we do more and just maintain our current status quo?
Where does the region/FA/GA go from here with regards to the Predator scandal? President Trinnien made a statement regarding PNG/bans as a result of the moderation ruling that was handed down, but are we changing how we ERN? If there have been any major changes there, they haven't been apparent.
Nothing immediately comes to mind.
I don't know, but I think it will almost have to be foreign affairs. We've talked for two terms now about the need to expand our sphere, and yet little has been done to actually accomplish that. Even with the restructuring of the Foreign Affairs department we're still not producing on that front. This needs to be addressed.
Foreign vision.
Integration improvements.
Retention

Of the following, who would you like to see as a Presidential candidate in this election?

EBC Results (Adjusted for believed tampering)

Trinnien: 7.06
Ferdy: 7.25
Calvin: 6.44
Marnip: 7.36
Mouse: 6.83
Kraketopia: 6.94
Drecq: 7.08
Aexindaral: 8.00
Writinglegend: 7.75
Cabinet Avg. as Category: 7.28
Cabinet Total Avg.: 7.19

Ranking of the Cabinet:
1.) Aexindaral Seymour
2.) Writinglegend
3.) Marnip
4.) Ferdy
5.) Drecq
6.) Trinnien
7.) Kraketopia
8.) Mousebumples
9.) Calvin

EBC Results (Includes all)
Trinnien: 6.04
Ferdy: 7.31
Calvin: 6.42
Marnip: 7.38
Mouse: 6.67
Kraketopia: 7.04
Drecq: 7.21
Aexindaral: 8.04
Writinglegend: 7.75
Cabinet Avg. as Category: 7
Cabinet Total Avg.: 7.09

Conclusion
The community agreed that the cabinet had a decent term overall. While nothing revolutionary happened, the cabinet continued to be one of the best in NationStates. While there are several improvements that the cabinet could make, the term helped to push the region forward.

I want to highlight something:

Let's reference Trinn's numbers here.

Trinnien: 7.06 ("Fair" total, not including the multi-votes)
Trinnien: 6.04 (All #'s tallied, including the multi-votes)

While perhaps from just comparing these two numbers alone it's not easy to entirely decipher what went on here, let me clear it up: someone(s) thought it would be fun to brigade the poll to purposefully drag down Trinnien's numbers. Coincidentally, the poll was commissioned before Trinn said he wasn't running, and before Calvin announced his campaign for President. Whoever was doing this was doing it to target Trinn's numbers and tank them to make him look vulnerable because of (what they thought) was an inevitable re-election campaign.

Shame on you.

Brun, my assumption as to why Marnip didn't want to disclose the entirety of the "other" field is that it highlights, likely who was brigading the poll. Especially if you did a side-by-side comparison of the tallies between the full numbers and the fair numbers.

This is a good poll and It's unfortunate that that happened and it put you guys through more work. So round of applause for the four of you :clap:

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
Brun, my assumption as to why Marnip didn't want to disclose the entirety of the "other" field is that it highlights, likely who was brigading the poll. Especially if you did a side-by-side comparison of the tallies between the full numbers and the fair numbers.
That might be worthwhile information, no?

Sopo said:
Aexnidaral Seymour said:
That might be worthwhile information, no?
I don't want to speak for Marnip or Aex, but while the common Other name(s) might have been for particular individual(s), we don't have any evidence (to my knowledge) that the named player(s) were actively involved in the poll tampering. It's possible that some super-excited surrogate thought that would "fix things" ... somehow, so bringing down potentially innocent individual(s) seems unfair, in my view.

Also, re: my being MwP versus holding a different Cabinet position, I have a few comments:
1) I posted a mid-term (ish) update, but since I don't have a "Cabinet Ministry" (given the "without Portfolio" nature of my role), it probably got lost in the Grand Hall. I will post an end of term update in the coming days - probably in Calvin's VP subforum, so look for that there ... probably on Tuesday.
2) Given my work schedule (which makes me pretty much unavailable for the bulk of Thursday afternoon through Sunday night every other week), I didn't feel comfortable taking on a Cabinet position which might require a fast turn around on some urgent matter. Trinn and I had some ideas for what I could accomplish, in coordination with the Cabinet, this term, and the MwP position allowed me to accomplish ... a lot of those without feeling that I was ignoring [items] within my Ministry when RL would inevitably interfere. Most Ministries do better with a more available Minister than what I would have been over parts of this term.

I don't want to speak for Marnip or Aex, but while the common Other name(s) might have been for particular individual(s), we don't have any evidence (to my knowledge) that the named player(s) were actively involved in the poll tampering. It's possible that some super-excited surrogate thought that would "fix things" ... somehow, so bringing down potentially innocent individual(s) seems unfair, in my view.
This. We will not release the name because we don't have any evidence to substantiate that claim. I'm not going to let people come to a conclusion when it can't be proven.

That isn't a half bad idea :p

Can we bet Cormacbucks?

Overall a good poll, and it's re-assuring to see that the editorial staff took the time to combat any rigging which may have been attempted. Regarding some of the comments about my own performance, I am the first to admit that my RL move and take-over of a RL portfolio did hinder some progress during my term. However, I would argue that the promises made at the onset of this term were kept. The Seminar has been an all around success, although there have been pauses when I've been busy. Discussions have been robust and the material has been engaging and educational, and I've had many newcomers message me in private to learn more. The Deputy system has been quite effective, and the reports compiled have been more significant than anything I've seen during my time in Europeia. One comment about lack of visibility from the Deputies and posting of reports missed the mark, Deputies were never supposed to occupy a PR role within Euro, nor were all reports to be made public. This information is for the MoFA to digest, and for the valuable bits to be passed on to the President and other FA staff. Of course, general information can be passed on to the diplomatic corps, which I am currently in the process of doing. Netz's absence was unfortunate, but her portfolio was covered primarily by myself during its vacancy. I wanted to ensure I'd picked the right candidate for that position rather than throw someone in and have the portfolio be left vacant once again. In Kuramia I made the right choice. The WAH shows great promise, and with more rigorous posting it can be used more effectively in the future.

There is more I could have done if I'd had the time. I will be the first to lobby that criticism at myself. But I believe the progress made regarding the seminar, Deputies, and the WAH speaks for itself. MoFA is in the best position I've seen it during my time in Euro from an internal perspective. Fortunately, now that I'm settled into my place and work is calming down, I should have more time for Euro pursuits in the ongoing future.

Back