EBC Exclusive: Chief of Staff Kuramia Considering Goldenblock Bid

EBC Exclusive: Chief of Staff Kuramia Considering Goldenblock Bid
By Deepest House and Pierce

(Europeia – January 28, 2019) – Kuramia, the chief of staff of the current Sopo administration, is considering a run for Goldenblock according to an exclusive interview with the EBC. In addition to her current role as chief of staff, she has served as vice president and also several additional terms as minister throughout the executive.

“For the first time, I'm considering running for president seriously,” Kuramia said to the EBC. “We'll see what happens when standing opens.”

A source for the EBC confirmed that Kuramia has launched an exploratory committee to evaluate her potential candidacy in the upcoming presidential election. The launch of an exploratory committee comes after President Sopo announced that he would not seek an additional term in Goldenblock when his term expires. Sopo has served as president after back to back presidential resignations by Ervald and Drexlore Greyjoy rocked the region’s political landscape and undermined Europeian stability this past autumn.

“My goal from Drexlore’s resignation was to right the ship and see through reforms,” President Sopo said while announcing he would not seek an additional term. “We’ve seen much progress and stability, and I’m proud of that.” While the Senate continues to debate various reform proposals arising from the constitutional convention, Sopo’s term has brought steadiness and growth back to the region after the resignations by Ervald and Drexlore Greyjoy.

If Kuramia does run for the presidency, she brings a wealth of experience across multiple ministries dating back to 2015 when she joined the region. “I came into the region wondering how to plunge into activity and dig my hands into political roleplay,” she said. “At that time the Citizens’ Assembly Chair was Calvin … Calvin saw my willingness to step into a situation, assess it, and come back with suggestions for improvement and jumped right on it, making me a Deputy Chair.”

From starting out in the Citizens’ Assembly as deputy chair, she rose through the ranks thanks to her commitment to hard work, team work, and treating others with respect. Eventually, Deepest House tapped her to serve as his vice president, having formed a close bond working together as minister and deputy minister in the ministry of communications. Should Kuramia decide to run for president, her experience in Goldenblock as vice president and on the campaign trail as a vice presidential candidate will provide a solid foundation on which to build her campaign to reach the pinnacle of Europeian politics.

During the interview with the EBC, Kuramia also stressed her willingness to be a team player and do whatever work is required, from leadership roles to front-line work. “I'd say I've been almost everywhere, if not as a Minister or some leadership role then as someone doing the ground work like military or recruiting.”

The EBC reached out to multiple citizens to gauge public interest in her potential candidacy and overwhelmingly received a positive response. “Kuramia is a versatile candidate who is prepared to lead the conclusion of Europeia’s debate over reform,” said Writinglegend, a former multiple term president. “The challenge for the next president will not be policy, but image. Striving to be more than a placeholder will be a challenge for whomever is in office.”

More than one former president had high praise for Kuramia and her potential as a presidential candidate. “Kuramia is exactly the kind of presidential candidate we need to see in Europeia. She has experience, demonstrated decision-making skills, and perhaps the most important thing: she’s not a ‘slam dunk’,” the second former president said, requesting anonymity to speak freely about her potential candidacy. “There are a few potential candidates out there that I think could make this a very competitive race, something the region sorely needs.”

While the EBC reached out to multiple former presidents to gauge Kuramia’s ability from their perspective, the EBC also contacted a citizen who has not served as president or vice president, but has served in the cabinet. “I think Kuramia is a solid, well-rounded candidate for president,” this former cabinet member said. “I think she is respected in the region for her ability to keep things level-headed in addition to having strong leadership ability.”

Historically, the chief of staff position has not been seen as a jumping off point for a presidential bid. During summer 2018, Deepest House broke the mold and launched his successful presidential campaign after serving as HEM’s chief of staff. If Kuramia were to follow that blueprint, Europeia could see the chief of staff position increase in prestige and importance in the region, as it increasingly becomes a viable position for a political future. As the chief of staff serves throughout the executive supporting activity across the ministries and acts as a chief advisor to the president on all issues, it is a natural place from which to launch a presidential campaign, a fact that Kuramia likely well-understands. It is perhaps second only to vice president in this regard.

With standing for the presidential election still some time away, the political and election landscape have time to change significantly. If Kuramia were to run for president, given the breadth and depth of her experience she would present herself as a formidable opponent to any challenger. Key to her decision to run, and her chance of success if she does, will be the availability of a viable vice presidential candidate to join her on the ticket. If Kuramia is able to land a political heavyweight to join her on the ticket, newcomer or not, she may be tough to beat in the election.

To read the entire EBC interview with Kuramia, please view the spoiler.

Pierce: Good evening, Chief of Staff Kuramia! Thank you for taking the time to talk to the EBC today- let's get right to it. So, Kuramia, tell us about your career here in Europeia. How did you get started?

Kuramia: Well, it's a rehashing of an old tale, but I started back in 2015. I came into the region wondering how to plunge into activity and dig my hands into political roleplay. At that time the Citizen's Assembly Chair was Calvin. He encouraged discussion and questions and, alongside the bustling activity of a Constitutional Convention, I found a lot to learn and comment on. Calvin saw my willingness to step into a situation, assess it, and come back with suggestions for improvement and jumped right on it, making me a Deputy Chair. I spent much of my time eyeing the Senate and decided I was going to work hard to feel like I was ready to step into that dedicated line of work. Of course, I was also interested in Foreign Affairs, as I'd spent years prior to joining Euro lurking on the Game Play forums of NS. I already understood a lot of the terms being thrown around there.

Pierce: What kind of positions have you held since then? You once served in the office that I now occupy, what was it like as Deepest House's Vice President and what kind of differences do you see about the position from now? I know for myself, I had to work around the challenge of public visibility- did you find that to be a persistent issue as well?

Kuramia: I'd say I've been almost everywhere, if not as a Minister or some leadership role than as someone doing the ground work like military or recruiting. I like knowing a little bit about every part of Europeia. I think that's what I most enjoyed about working in every position a little. I experienced how recruiting was done, how Culture planned events, how to raid, and even how to hold a trial.

[Former President] Deepest House and I shared a bond that developed when he was my Minister in Communications. He was my mentor for not only that term, but he also continued to mentor me as I took on the ministry role. Being his Vice President was easy. We just synced. We would speak of what was happening, what needed to happen, how to get there, and we would just enact the plan. We presented a stable and unified front because we just got how the other would think about things.

Public visibility has been an issue for almost every Vice President. At the time I was VP, I just decided I wasn't going to worry about it. I was there to support my President, to present solutions to issues inside the ministry as well as FA advice, and to approach the ministers and jump in whenever they needed my help. That was how I stayed visible. I tried to take on one task for multiple ministries every week. I wanted not only to say 'hey, I'm here', but also unburden the ministers since we had an ambitious goalset for that term.

Pierce: I'm here trying to get to your level! What was the highlight of your time as VP, and have their been any highlights in your time as Chief of Staff?

Kuramia: It's more of a general thing, but my highlight was just being there for people to come to. Leading a ministry to success is no easy thing, and I know it. It's a constant pressure of having set goals and not a lot of time or people to accomplish them with, and sometimes you just have to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. The issue is, as a minister, you can't do everything. You'll just burn out. I feel like my highlight was knowing I was there to relieve that pressure, and not just for ministers but deputy ministers too.

As for Chief of Staff, my highlight has been seeing what the Executive can achieve together with the resources we have. Even through changes in staff, we're making sure that things move ahead, that's there no stagnation. I'd like to think I make sure to keep people positive that they can make sure that things are always popping on their own, and keep themselves interested in the work. I mean, the war with NPO has been fun!

Pierce: It can definitely be overwhelming at times for the Ministers and their staff, that's a useful style of leadership to have. Throughout your career, what do you think your weaknesses have been and what are you doing to ameliorate those weaknesses, if any?

Kuramia: I think some of my peers have tried to coach me away from focusing on public opinion. It's not that it isn't important, it's that it has to be taken into context. And indeed, I've seen a lot of my peers get frustrated by it, especially in the form of polls I see myself as someone who's pretty approachable, but I realize not everyone feels comfortable approaching someone. The polls and their anonymity do give a way for people to voice their concerns, but it also comes as a blow of confidence when a minister doesn't see it coming. At that point all you can do is address the concern there, but it's frustrating. I hope that I can stop hesitating to step into challenging roles because I think I'm not ready is something I definitely need to take steps to correct. Fear of failure based on the outcomes of others before me is not a convenient way to avoid the challenge and should actually be a reason to take it head on.

Pierce: Speaking of challenging roles, there are many in the region that want to see you run for President- and it doesn’t look like the split will be passed by the time of the next presidential election. Are you going to run?

Kuramia: I've been so surprised and flattered to see my name in demand for President. And then thinking about stepping into that role really made me balk. It's such a big job, and yes, I've seen people just lose their footing in the position, people who did seem to have what it took, and then real life struggles would take them out. Not their fault, but no one wants to step into a position where they think that might happen. So for a couple terms I've just been saying no. I haven't had the energy to do it. I haven't been able to assure I could put in the focus. Sopo's been a real inspiration for me this term, and who really does that kind of job alone anyways? Hasn't that been the entire point of these last couple terms? Europeia comes through in adversity. I just have to ask myself 'what's the worst that could happen?' The answer to that isn't scary at all. So for the first time, I'm considering running for President seriously. We'll see what happens when standing opens.

Pierce: If elected as President, how would you distinguish yourself from President Sopo and what would be your relationship to the Senate in regards to the reforms?

Kuramia: I think the biggest way to distinguish myself is doing the job in my own style. I think I'd save explaining that style for a platform. I don't know that anyone steps into a job like this and goes 'how can I do this different from the last person?' I think they step into a position, any position, and think 'how do I want to do this?' That's the key to making a good platform and presenting yourself as a true contender. You understand what you want to see, how it might be accomplished, and you implement it. It sounds so simple, but it is the hardest thing to ever succeed in.
I'm honestly not going to change from what Sopo has presented in his views on reform. It's of the good, I won't stand in its way, and it will be the people's decision in the end. I feel like any successful platform will support that as well.

Pierce: Will you be continuing Question Time to the Senate?

Kuramia: If I were to run, I don't see a reason not to.

Pierce: What would be your approach to Europeia's foreign policy with our allies? Would you seek to make amends to Osiris?

Kuramia: I think my policy can best be described by how we communicate with each other now. Discord has become a marvelous tool that enables fast response times and an always-on kind of functionality. It's the fastest way of getting and relaying information, and as that kind of communicative tool it rules. Whether it just be reminding or notifying people of something going on or intelligence work, Discord is a good tool for the smaller kind of communication that needs done quickly and without much discussion.

The NS GP forums are a way of checking on everyone all at once, including how other spheres of influence are reacting and acting toward what's going on. Recently our responses on GP have been timely and good for our PR and continuing that would be to our benefit. Then there are the regional forums scattered about the Internet. These are good for getting not only into the culture of other regions, but also introducing them to our culture. Again, this term we've done well in producing content we can send out and keeping active ambassadors for our embassies located in these forums. Our own forums are utilized for those bigger discussions that must occur concerning Foreign Affairs.

Osiris is a big question, though it's certainly fair. It's also easy to just say 'sure, I'd love to see amends made and our friendship renewed,' but Foreign Affairs is never based on an idealist nature. The situation that dissolved the treaty we had with Osiris was a complicated one, and it left a bad taste in both region's mouths. It's been months since that incident, so I think it'd be wise to sit down and reassess the situation, and continue to do so for as long as is necessary. If amends were reasonable of course they could be pursued. Making sure they are reasonable is the crux of the issue.

Pierce: In relation to your foreign policy, what kind of UCRs would you like to seek out as potential allies?

Kuramia: I'm not eyeing any right now we aren't already getting to know, but in general, when it comes to UCRs, we want to find active regions that our own interests can align with, or, at the least, do not seek to undermine what we stand for. While that is a broad stroke, just the first caveat, activity, is enough to make sure we are setting a good standard.

Pierce: Will you be continuing the current course by the Sopo Administration in regards to the NPO War or is there something you’d like to do differently?

Kuramia: Given the nature of the war, I don't think there's anything different to be done at this time. I know we're keeping an eye on the conflict, working with our allies on how to best approach the conflict to greatest effect, and conferring with our own advisors, such as the Grand Admiral, in order to effectively use our troops. I've been keeping up with what's going on in the war and I've found it's setup is like that of a siege. We're in for the long wait and taking action when its actually reasonable to do so, rather than just continually throwing ourselves at the walls.

Pierce: Thank you for your time sitting with us, Chief of Staff Kuramia, we're wishing you best of luck on your campaign

Kuramia: If I do decide to run, Pierce. I'm sure no matter what it's going to be interesting to see who stands. Thank you for your insightful questions. I'm sure they'll give potential candidates something to think about.

Pierce: This has been an EBC exclusive interview with Chief of Staff Kuramia.

Respectfully, can we make counterarguments to the points that Kari is making without making personal remarks? You're both making valid points, but it would make the discussion more constructive and productive if we stuck to the merits of each others' arguments.

Anyways, it was a pleasure interviewing Kuramia and DH did a fantastic job on this piece- I was very impressed! Viewers should expect more content like this in the coming days and weeks. There are plenty of potential presidential candidates that would be dynamic, so if there are any of you out there, don't hesitate to get in touch with myself or Punchwood to have an interview.

Very interesting article and interview; the comments were interesting for their own separate reasons.

Respectfully, can we make counterarguments to the points that Kari is making without making personal remarks? You're both making valid points, but it would make the discussion more constructive and productive if we stuck to the merits of each others' arguments.
Are critiques of someone's continuous behaviors really personal remarks? It'll be a sad day when we can no longer react negatively to people's poor actions without being accused of attacking their entire character.

I wouldn't consider pointing out someone's obvious character flaws to be an attack on their character as a whole. Kari has a bad history of going on the offensive with no regards for feelings or social tact. She deserves to be called out for her behavior.

Are critiques of someone's continuous behaviors really personal remarks? It'll be a sad day when we can no longer react negatively to people's poor actions without being accused of attacking their entire character.
I completely understand your point, Izzy. We should not be conflating the isolated objections to the specific actions of a person with a overall attack on their character or overall personality. And a good amount of the comments that were made in this topic were critiques of Kari’s particular actions in this situation rather than attacks on her character. I don’t think that these protests should be criticized, nor do I think this is what Pierce’s statement was pointed towards.

His statement was pointed towards the handful of comments made that were clearly criticisms on Kari’s character overall. I highly doubt anyone would argue that calling Kari “a piece of work” is not a criticism of character. There are other comments present that stand more as a criticism of her overall behavior and personality rather than an isolated objection to the specific actions of this situation. And it seems to be intentional as well.

It’s also good to keep in mind that Pierce, as a relative newcomer, is likely unaware of what can be considered to be a long personal beef between Kari and DH that has developed (Perhaps some others are unaware as well). Nonetheless, I agree that Pierce’s argument has merit.

Le Libertie said my thoughts exactly, albeit with better phrasing than what I would have used.

To get back on topic since this seems to have... veered somewhat off course-- I think Kuramia would be a good leader, she's shown her chops time and time again.
Very much agree. I'd be intrigued to see Kuramia as President. If the Exec Split goes through - sorry, when it goes through - I'd love to see Kuramia in charge of Foreign Affairs with someone like Prim running the domestic side. Think it'd be a good dynamic.

Back