Associate Justice
Cabinet
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Discord Moderator
Best Tech Admin
Pronouns
He/Him
As some of you may have noticed, our forums have gained a new little feature: Connected Accounts. This feature gives us (and you!) two main benefits. First, if you are logged into Discord via the web, you remain logged in to our forums. Second, the Swakistek Discord bot is now aware of your forum account, and will make sure that your Discord roles stay instantaneously up to date. No more begging in #admin_requests_only for your masking, as we have robots to do it for us!

With this update, the Administrative Team will be heavily depending on Discord integration to keep Discord masking current. We will no longer be issuing Discord roles for forum-managed groups. Everyone will need to connect their Discord account to their Forum account so that this management can be handled by robots, as it should. In case you're wondering, here's a list of the Discord roles which are managed by the bot:
  • President
  • Vice President
  • The Chancellery
  • Wa Delegate
  • Grand Admiral
  • Cabinet
  • Justices
  • Senate Speaker
  • Senator
  • Foreign Affairs Staff
  • Culture Staff
  • Law clerk
  • Communications Staff
  • WA Staff
  • Radio Staff
  • Interior Staff
  • Citizen
  • Resident
  • Foreign Visitor
Discord-only roles (Lobby Helper, Stage Manager, etc) will remain manually-controlled as they are today.

There is another option that we are currently considering, but would like input from the community. It is possible with this setup to auto-verify users who set up Discord Integration with their forum account. We would retain the current 'Lobby Helper' role to help people connect their accounts, but once that step is complete, new members would automatically be granted access to the server. This is, of course, a less secure method, but one that we think better meets the reality of the NS world that we live in.

Cool! Great work.

What is the security downside to auto-verification?

Cool! Great work.

What is the security downside to auto-verification?
Right now, we compare IP data of incoming users against a list of known bad actors (among other things). So far, this mechanism hasn't filtered any threats. What has been the case instead is that once users join the server, they prove that they are unacceptable to our community and we remove them. This new system wouldn't stop that at all.

Is there a way to disable the bot messaging us whenever we get an alert?

Is there a way to disable the bot messaging us whenever we get an alert?
If you go to preferences, you can turn off Discord just like you can turn off alerts.

Weirdly, I have not received any alerts even though they are turned on in my preferences.

I signed up and immediately after the first notification turned them off, but I think our technological advances these days are great. This is an innovation I think could be very useful. Thank you, Darc (and the whole admin team)!!!

i turned them all off unless someone quotes or mentions me

It is possible with this setup to auto-verify users who set up Discord Integration with their forum account. We would retain the current 'Lobby Helper' role to help people connect their accounts, but once that step is complete, new members would automatically be granted access to the server.
I would support this. It does seem like even when people do go through the lobby process, some of them turn out to be unacceptable for our community. Besides, we'd still have the opportunity to kick them from the lobby channel if they have an inappropriate username or profile picture or start erratic behaviour. Of course as you said this would diminish security but it seems like that won't be much of a change for the worse.

After lengthy consideration and community feedback, we have decided to implement the additional option of automatically granting access to users who connect their accounts.

Back