Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"Defying 'Summer Slump' Europeian Activity Hits New Highs"
HEM Tiberius
Op-Ed
Managing Editor

The oft-debated "summer slump" is said to be the inevitable period between May and the end of August where Nationstates slows downs as high school and university students invest their summers in other pursuits rather than spending their study time on Nationstates.

Many people are skeptical of this supposed trend, saying that just as many summers have been on par with activity or even higher activity than those that have been noteworthily inactive. However, with the scarring memory of last summer's series of devastating slumps and crises, officials were prepared for the worst:

First Minister Pichtonia mentioned the word "summer" four times in his election platform, telling the electorate that fear of another catastrophic summer slump was part of what motivated him to run.

"This summer will likely be very harsh on Europeia and NationStates. We need someone who cares for this region, our home, and the office of First Minister to lead us through it," Pichtonia wrote in his platform. "I believe I am that someone."

By the grace of hard work, or good luck, or a little of both, he may have been proven right.

Unnamed officials in the Administrative Bureau (me) have recently confirmed exclusively to ENN (me) that July 2019 was the most active month Europeia's forum has on record. With an average of 166 posts a day, the region falls a little short of the historical average of 200 posts a day, but also far outstrips the 77 post a day average of June.

Much of the posting surge is owned to the push to get Europeia over 1,000,000 posts, but that isn't the whole story.

"The one million post push accounted for roughly 1000 posts," ENN correspondent Paul Krugman shares. Spread out across the month, this specific push would only boost the daily average by roughly 30 posts. It certainly helps, but it's not the whole story."

Social and cultural corners of the region have roared back to life, with renewed activity on spam games and social conversation sparking additional political and governmental conversations that seem to be attracting more participation than in months past. More often than not, it is newer members who have joined in 2019 or 2018 at the center of these dialogues.

July has been a good month. The only question is whether it's just a good month, or whether my Rome allegories can be finally be put to rest at start of a Europeian renaissance.

Krugman, HEM? You're so 2009. :p

Good article! =D

I think there's a combination of things going on. First, Pichto has to be given a ton of credit, as I mentioned in a post somewhere else (I forget where, I'm old) yesterday. If there is strong, enthusiastic leadership encouraging ministerial engagement, it is a tremendous boon. Pichto had a vision and has lived it, and the results are inarguable.

Of course one person doesn't do it alone. The fact that the ministers Pichto chose have been excited and involved has helped drive greater participation and it has fed off of itself. I think in many respects there was a core group of young, enthusiastic newcomers who was ready to be *really active* and was looking for some help from a veteran player to position them correctly to really maximize their efforts. Combine Pichto with that group of talent and *voila* activity has spiked.

I've noticed the summer slump hasn't been as bad this year on all of GP as it was last year, but yeh, looks like Europeia especially managed to beat the Summer Slump :)

I've noticed the summer slump hasn't been as bad this year on all of GP as it was last year, but yeh, looks like Europeia especially managed to beat the Summer Slump :)

*whispers* it’s because it doesn’t exist!!!!

I'm a little skeptical of this rosy conclusion overall. The region is unquestionably doing better that it was last summer but I mean we are currently staring down our fourth uncontested election in a row and the 5th of the last 6th. Our nation count has significantly decreased and though we are not losing as many people as we did last summer we never really recovered from that and are at a significantly lower nation point (Join Recruitment).

Additionally, Spam had returned to the forums prior to just the push for 1 million posts and I am curious what percentage Spam makes up of the total posts. Additionally, I'd like to get in touch with your ENN reporter (you) so he can connect me with his contact at the admin bureau (you) to see if I could get my hands on any of that post data since R3ns old Euro Statistics spreadsheet has been busted for forum related stuff since last summer.

Thanks for the article! I didn't know about these numbers, but that's a good start. So many of our Ministers are giving it their hearts and their energy and it's beautiful to see.

I do - genuinely and openly - wonder what the cause of the summer difficulties is, if not a reoccuring seasonal weakness. Purely coincident? If anyone wanted to analyze this more, it would make for an interesting read.

Back