HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his

Debate Night in Europeia -- ENN Liveblog

HEM @ 4:37 PM PST: "Hello everyone, and welcome to ENN's coverage of Debate Night in Europeia. In just over one hour, two battle-tested titans will face off in a verbal Mixlr debate as the Republica Senate weighs which candidate should be Europeia's next Chief of State. Combined, both veterans have over two decades of experience in Europeia and have served half-a-dozen terms in high executive office. Expectations and risks are sky high for both candidates, as ENN's whip count has a majority of the Senate undecided with Sopo and Malashaan each having two Senators leaning toward their corner.

A critical question hanging in the balance: our region has no idea whether McEntire or GraVandius will fill the vacant ninth seat in the Senate. The victor's vote could prove to be pivotal, and you better believe that ENN will be staying in close touch with both Senate candidates, and all Senators, as this night unfolds.

We'll be back right after this."

HEM @ 5:12 PM PST: "We'll kick off our coverage today with a quick interview with Chief of State Pichtonia himself. Pichto, welcome to ENN! How does it feel to watch yourself be replaced in this drawn out process?

Pichtonia: "Insofar as that we all yearned for another competitive Chief of State election, I'm very happy. The two tickets that stand right now are extraordinarily qualified and I can only imagine it's not an easy choice for our Senators. I only wish that our Senators would more clearly engage. If I hear speculation that some might abstain because the candidates don't absolutely represent their view on reform, I have to shake my head disappointedly. If you can't win a legislative majority, don't blame it on the candidates. There are still many other metrics to decide who would be the best Chief of State.

I will add that I prepared a run for the case that no one else would run. So to see these two tickets was fulfilling. I'm happy to know that I'm not needed, as odd as that sounds."

HEM: "Now, you have taken the step of endorsing Sopo. What made you want to transition from neutral observer to wading into the fray for Sopo?"

Pichtonia: "I've consistently worked with Sopo, I know his vision is closest to my own. I feel like he is the successor I didn't raise. As I said in my endorsement: His vision of where we should be is where I wished we would be right now."

HEM: "On a personal note...you've been in the high executive for nearly a year now. From First Minister, to Vice Chief of State, to Chief of State. What is next for Chief Pichto?"

Pichtonia: "Nothing! I will be busy for the next few months and accordingly don't intend to take new offices. I hope to focus my attention on real life for a while"

HEM: "Thanks Pichto!! hopefully the retirement community suits you well......for now ;) "

Pichtonia: "For now indeed!"

HEM @ 5:16 PM PST: ENN will be back with more interviews and coverage, right after this.

HEM @ 5:41 PM PST: And we're back, this time with former First Minister DAX who Malashaan's running mate. Welcome DAX! How are you feeling about the debate tonight? What do you think Malashaan needs to do in the debate to seal the deal on your ticket's victory?

DAX: "I'm definitely feeling confident in Mal for tonight's debate. I think our campaign is strong and that he is an experienced individual in both FA and Europeian politics.

I think what he would really need to do in this debate would be to really push our more creative ideas from our campaign and expand upon and clarify some of them to make sure people better understand the goals that are set in line to be accomplished in areas such as the Council of Coordination. I also believe it'll be important to make sure our ideas of reform are well understood and how they correlate with the other plans for this term."

HEM: "How is the Malashaan / DAX ticket feeling about the current race in the Senate? Are you getting positive feedback from Senators? Do you think you're positioned to win?"

DAX: "The race right now is tight, but im sure the current neutral senators can be swayed our way by tonight's debate. We have gotten approval from senators on areas of our campaign and our ticket. I do have full confidence that we can win."

HEM: "And finally, if you could, what would the top reason you think neutral Senators should support Malashaan?"

DAX: "Our campaign contains creative ideas to breathe new life into Foreign Affairs as it moves on to likely be re-merged under the presidency. We are hoping to implement ways to make the reform transition easier and allow for collaboration between the two sides of the executive. We are also looking to bring back projects in FA such as bringing Europeians to GP or reinvigorating the Navy. Hopefully, if elected, we will be able to bring a new life to FA and show the region that it doesnt have to be as hard as people make it to be."

HEM: "Great! thank you for your time!"

DAX: "No problem!"

HEM @ 5:44 PM PST: "Ladies and gentlemen, we will be back with a truly major announcement."

HEM @ 5:50 PM PST: "To all our viewers in Europeia and around the world we are back with a very major announcement. Senator Olde Delaware has announced his formal endorsement, and his Chief of State vote, to Malashaan. Olde Delaware is the first Senator to publicly announce his stance, and he's with us now to explain his decision. Olde Delaware?"

Olde Delaware: "I am putting my support behind Mal. I believe Mal/Dax have what it takes to make a formidable pair in the CoS/VCoS. Mal is a political Juggernaut and Dax's infectious cheerfulness and drive to maintain activity is going to do wonders to get people active and interested in FA again. I chose Mal over Sopo not because of his policies, which were reasonable considering the office Sopo is pursuing but because of Sopo's recent trend of running for offices, resigning due to RL, then running for another office, etc. While that may not have been his intent, the padding of the resume technique is a key reason for my endorsement of Mal."

HEM: "OD this is a really major endorsement -- the first Senatorial endorsement of this election. As the first Senator off the fence so to say, do you have any insight into what your colleagues are thinking or what is pulling so many of them to be undecided?"

Olde Delaware: "We've got a young Senate, almost a third are in their first major political office ever. I think they'd rather have someone who shares their ideas rather than two career politicians who they feel might not have their interests in mind or think like them."

HEM: "So you think there could potentially be those hungry for a fresher face, but don't have that option?"

Olde Delaware: "I do, I think if someone else had run, say Maowi over Sopo or Dax over Mal, there would be more excitement. Even with Maowi's resignation so fresh."

HEM: "Well, this is a very significant development and it's great to hear thoughts directly from a Senator's mouth. We will obviously stay in touch with you, Senator, as the debate unfolds! Thank you very much for your time!"

Olde Delaware: "Thank you HEM."

HEM @ 5:54 PM PST: "That's one vote formally in the Malashaan corner. I can reveal that Senator Olde Delaware was one of the "Lean Malashaan" Senators in the last straw poll, so it's not a titanic upset to the race, but it is highly significant that Malashaan can now count on one vote going into this debate."

(This OP will be updated as the night goes on, feel free to comment on this thread)

HEM @ 6:08 PM PST: Okay the debate is starting. Let's get this show on the road.

HEM @ 6:11 PM PST: Both candidates have their age reflected in their opening statements: basically reading off from very, very long resumes. Our previous guest, Senator Olde Delaware, has kept up the heat on Sopo saying: "Sopo wasn't as interested in teaching young Europeans as First Minister, but but v interested as Chief of State" in the Mixlr chat. As far as I can tell, OD hasn't yet responded to Sopo's rebuttals that OD's statements are misrepresenting his past resignations.

HEM @ 6:16 PM PST: Starting the debate out with discussing Independence. Sopo makes some keen points about marketing and recruiting through an active Independent ideology. Malashaan gives some of the historical context -- including how Independence has been hijacked.

HEM @ 6:17 PM PST: Malashaan uses The South Pacific as an example of a region lost to Independence. It's worth noting that a few months back they officially became defender.

HEM @ 6:19 PM PST: Discussion turns to the Navy. Malashaan emphasizes scheduling to get consistency so people can plan ahead. He also talks about dated and missing training materials -- though Bowzin updated a lot of materials previously. I'd be interested to hear what he thinks is missing.

HEM @ 6:23 PM PST: Sopo hits on training and recruiting. He makes the linkage between the population boom and getting those new people involved.

HEM @ 6:27 PM PST: Malashaan takes advantage of the Q&A period to talk about the Navy being sequestered in the region. I don't think the Navy is particularly sequestered so long as it's doing anything?? The problem is not much has happened.

HEM @ 6:31 PM PST: Neither of these candidates are really military pro's. I think Sopo comes out as a little more up to speed, but neither really wowed here. My thinking is what people will remember is Sopo not revealing his Grand Admiral pick.

HEM @ 6:35 PM PST: On that note, I got a message from GraVandius who is in the Senate runoff and may be a vote for Chief of State: "It's always kinda weird when one (sopo in this case) talks up the energy and potential of their GA and then declines to name names."

HEM @ 6:36 PM PST: I wonder if the candidates get too much time to answer these questions. Answers are pretty long and meandering across the board.

HEM @ 6:37 PM PST: I honestly forgot what the question was for a minute.

HEM @ 6:40 PM PST: Malashaan keeps using The South Pacific as an example, but the period where we had the treaty to when it has dissolved has been many, many, many years ago now. In my mind, it really dates his FA knowledge.

HEM @ 6:44 PM PST: I think this question was about the dearth of new talent in Foreign Affairs? I truly am struggling to follow Malashaan's answer here. It's being weighed down by a lot of dated historic examples.

HEM @ 6:45 PM PST:

"How will you address the dearth of talent in Foreign Affairs?"
Malashaan: "I will give them this speech until they fall asleep then drag their bodies into the WA Council."

HEM @ 6:47 PM PST: An anonymous Senator on background: "I often lose track of what Malashaan is saying."

HEM @ 6:50 PM PST: "In other news, Senator Olde Delaware is serving as Most Valuable Surrogate for Malashaan, keeping the heat up on Sopo in the Mixlr chat. Only question: is this effective, or overreaching on OD's part?"

OldeDelaware2.0 :
All of this could have been done while you were in the Senate or as First Minister
Sopo :
I don't think the Chief of State would appreciate me acting like the Chief of State while not the Chief of State
OldeDelaware2.0 :
I'm 100% sure the people of the region wouldn't mind hearing that their Senator has ideas that can help them via a news article rather than waiting until the Senator decides to resign and only reveal it during another election.

HEM @ 6:50 PM PST: "Got a message from another Senator: 'debate is doing great on both sides and they are not sure who is winning right now.'"

HEM @ 6:52 PM PST: "Malashaan discusses only vetoing if someone seems like it would go Really Wrong. Sopo has a more succinct answer here, citing his experience being President during the last round of reform. His threat to veto hard Cabinet caps has gotten him some backlash -- but Sopo doesn't back off."

HEM @ 6:53 PM PST: "Malashaan might've done himself some good by just not saying he'd veto the hard Cabinet cap. It's kinda absurd, because of how such a veto threat is likely to be irrelevant due to Istillian's pledge to send the matter to referendum, but my conversations with Senators show they are weighing it seriously."

HEM @ 6:58 PM PST: "I think we finally got some fierce disagreement here. Sopo says that external/domestic cooperation is his job as Chief of State. Malashaan says that he has so many things to do, and it's important, so he needs a dedicated council on it. If certain Senators are upset with Sopo's position on the hard cap, maybe they'd be happier that Sopo isn't creating a new council."

HEM @ 6:59 PM PST: "Malashaan brings up his Innovation Ministry that essentially invented modern radio. This is a good point, and was presented with credibility. The Innovation Ministry, along with Sopo's Media Ministry in 2011 are examples of successful experimental ministries. There are plenty of failed examples too."

HEM @ 7:01 PM PST: "Sopo calls Malashaan's Coordination Council a middleman. Malashaan's rebuttal relies on the importance of delegation and essentially saying you need organs of government to get things done."

HEM @ 7:03 PM PST: Circling back on the question of OD's surrogacy. A Senator DMed me: "OD seems to become like a dog with a bone when he's criticizing someone. I've noticed that about his questioning style. He's gotten pushback about it in the past but hasn't changed his tune much"

HEM @ 7:06 PM PST: Closing statements. Sopo touts his foreign policy accomplishments, which are a little fresher than Malashaan's. Mal's statement talks about promoting Independence and pulling citizens in."

HEM @ 7:22 PM PST: "Honestly I wish OD had stayed in the race just to participate in the debate because his attacks on Sopo are probably going to be the only things I remember -- even though I think many started to become hamfisted and not particularly effective. If the goal of this election or race was to get people to care about foreign affairs, neither candidate was particularly successful. Both candidates had pretty rambly answers, though some of Malashaan's truly bordered on odyssean. He spoke for 10 minutes straight at one point. The candidates either couldn't, or wouldn't, challenge each other on most topics except the dry and byzantine discussion on whether coordination with the domestic involves it's own cabinet role -- which I think Malashaan made a sufficient case for, though some staunchly anti-bloat people may not agree. I think Sopo was more effectively able to lean on more current examples of foreign events for his agenda, and Malashaan's persistent references to The South Pacific came off as rather dated (especially when used multiple times). If I had to say a winner, I'd say it was Sopo by a hair. But I'm going to highlight some other voices on here too, so stay tuned for other takes on the debate."

Calvin Coolidge @ 7:25 PM PST: "I am still not sure who I will be voting for, unfortunately, but I think the winner of the debate was clearly Sopo. Malashaan's answers were long, a little rambling, and frequently looking at our region's past for answers, with very few modern day instances to point to and support his arguments. If he hadn't had Dax on the ticket to boost his ERN answers, I don't think anything was recent. Sopo, meanwhile weaved in the recent population boom, and seemed clearly more comfortable representing the modern problems of Europeia and more modern solutions. In addition, Sopo's point about the middle man for the Council of Collaboration was effective, while Mal's comparison to radio for his new Council fell flat for me, as the comparison is not all that similar -- nothing new is being created, it's just a midway point. Bloat isn't my top concern, but it's something I am thinking about, and Mal did little to address my concerns on that front."

Last edited:
Interview with Pichto added!

Yours is good, but this one just has a real sense of gravitas to it --

Back