Current Policy for Under 13s

Malashaan

Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
They/she
It has become apparent from a number of recent events that there is a lack of understanding in our community about the legal requirements, terms of service requirements, and our admin policy relating to young users. To provide greater clarity and enable us all to address issues that arise in future more efficiently, this post clarifies current admin policy.

COPPA

COPPA is an acronym that stands for the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. This is a US Federal law that applies to our forum. The law requires both Zetaboards and the Admin team to take various steps to protect the personal information of children under 13.

Zetaboards Policy

In order to comply with COPPA, Zetaboards provides three options to forum owners. The first is an absolute ban on children under 13 accessing the forum. The other two are similar and require users who are under 13 to submit a signed parental permission form (either electronically or via mail) before gaining full access to the forum. Zetaboards' terms of use require that the admin team take steps to prevent under 13s from accessing the forum without completing the required forms.

Our policy

After much discussion a few months back, the admin team opted for one of the parental permission options. The parental permission form is handled entirely by Zetaboards (we don't see it at all). In practice, it means that when an underage user is identified, we will ban them and, if tey wish, assist them in setting up a new account and providing the required information to Zetaboards. The parental permission form is very simple, but obviously not all under 13s will be able to get a parent or guardian to sign it.

What does this mean for me?

In future, if you become aware that a user is under 13, please let the admin team know immediately. If such an individual asks, let them know that they can continue to participate if they provide the required permission form to Zetaboards, and that the admins can walk them through the process if needed.

We obviously want to be welcoming and inclusive of everyone, but both the law and the Terms of Service require us to strictly monitor this issue. We will do all we can to help those who are under 13 to participate, but ultimately, if they cannot obtain the required parental permission, we are obligated to deny them access until their 13th birthday.

Thanks for clarifying, Mal.

HM King David I of Cokeland said:
How would you know if their parents gave them permission?
I'd expect that ZetaBoards would notify the admin team since the permission things go to ZB, not the Euro admins.

HM King David I of Cokeland said:
How would you know if their parents gave them permission?
Zetaboards provides a special registration process. Under 13's accounts just get redirected to a screen with instructions about the required form. Once they have provided it to zetaboards, they automatically unlock the account. It's totally transparent to the admins. We have no control over it, and we wouldn't want it, because then we'd be the ones liable, not zetaboards.

Not that anyone asked me, but i disagree with the admins' decision. There are good reasons why most websites ban users under age 13.

Leaving aside the legalities, I think people will find it stifling at times to keep the conversation appropriate for young children.

Skizzy Grey said:
Not that anyone asked me, but i disagree with the admins' decision. There are good reasons why most websites ban users under age 13.

Leaving aside the legalities, I think people will find it stifling at times to keep the conversation appropriate for young children.
With this particular piece of policy, in all honesty, we aren't concerned with curating the level of discussion on the forums. I also think that age is an poor barometer for ability to have sophisticated discussion on our boards. For instance, historically, some of our oldest members have also been our most troll-ish and hostile to contrary opinions.

HEM said:
Skizzy Grey said:

With this particular piece of policy, in all honesty, we aren't concerned with curating the level of discussion on the forums. I also think that age is an poor barometer for ability to have sophisticated discussion on our boards. For instance, historically, some of our oldest members have also been our most troll-ish and hostile to contrary opinions.
*wonders if she should be offended* :p

Mousebumples said:
HEM said:
Skizzy Grey said:

I think he was talking more about Charles and AA. :p

Drecq said:
Mousebumples said:
HEM said:
Skizzy Grey said:

Yeah, that's probably true, but while they are some of the more long-standing troll-ish and hostile players ... there are plenty of newbies that are young that have troll-ish and hostile opinions. They just don't hang around for whatever reason. Granted, I don't know the ages of a lot of those players, but legendofpie comes to mind, for example.

I'd rather not make sweeping generalizations in either direction, based on age. I don't know that we will keep the conversations here appropriate for young children, but if a child's parents are comfortable with their being exposed to this sort of environment and are willing to fill out the necessary paperwork to allow such access, I see no issues if they are able to comply with regional laws and admin rules.

Mousebumples said:
Drecq said:
Mousebumples said:
HEM said:
Skizzy Grey said:

Yeah, that's probably true, but while they are some of the more long-standing troll-ish and hostile players ... there are plenty of newbies that are young that have troll-ish and hostile opinions. They just don't hang around for whatever reason. Granted, I don't know the ages of a lot of those players, but legendofpie comes to mind, for example.

I'd rather not make sweeping generalizations in either direction, based on age. I don't know that we will keep the conversations here appropriate for young children, but if a child's parents are comfortable with their being exposed to this sort of environment and are willing to fill out the necessary paperwork to allow such access, I see no issues if they are able to comply with regional laws and admin rules.
Emphasis on some :p

Back