Create a Grand Hall forum for legislative petitions

Comfed

Exposing #REF!
Citizen
Pronouns
he/him
This is an idea that I think was raised during the discussion about the People's Assembly. Namely, that we should create a subforum of the Grand Hall for legislative petitions to the Senate. I think that this is a good idea (and a better idea than the People's Assembly) and I think it should be considered.
CITIZEN LEGISLATION
Petition for Legislation

GI5. (1) The People may, by presenting a petition to the Speaker of the Senate with the support of a number of citizens numbering no less than one fourth the number of votes in the last General election (rounded down to the nearest integer), request the Senate's consideration of a bill or proposed non-binding resolution.

GI5. (2) Upon presentation of such a petition, the Speaker of the Senate shall submit the bill for due consideration by the Senate.

Or we can simply...use the Grand Hall. There's no need for an extra subforum.

Maybe someone could create a thread, and it could be pinned, perhaps? No subforum clutter, but also some guidance?

Maybe someone could create a thread, and it could be pinned, perhaps? No subforum clutter, but also some guidance?
What guidance is needed? It's laid out fairly clearly in the legislation in the OP

What guidance is needed? It's laid out fairly clearly in the legislation in the OP
Many people didn't even know that section existed, honestly...

I am ashamed to admit, neither did I. But in fairness, I was not expecting to find it in the Constitution and I spent a lot of time digging through other Acts for it.

I didn't either - I always assumed it was there though - but perhaps there's something to be taken from the fact that most of us don't even know this provision is there. Because we don't need it and never use it.

Back