Citizens' Assembly Poll Analysis (February)

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
On February 16th, a poll was opened in the Grand Hall for twenty-four hours, with fourteen respondents answering the call. Here are the results of that poll, with a little analysis.

How would you rate the overall success of the Assembly last term?
Avg: 6.3
Mode: 7

Looking at last term, it seems that a slim majority of voters (9 out of 14) give the CA a score of 7 or higher. Furthermore, if we were to remove the score of 1, the average bounces up to 6.7, all of which shows to me that the last term of the CA was regarded above average, but not overly spectacular. So, there is certainly room for improvement in the Assembly by these candidates, should they get elected.

Do you feel the Citizens' Assembly is on the right track?
These results support what we found in the last question, that last term was successful, but not overly so. The CA being on the right track should, however, make it easier for the next Chair to pick up where the last one left off, should they choose to. This also reflects positively on those involved in the last term, and it is important to note that two of the candidates (Ninja Kittens and Vinage Vinage) were Deputies to the Chair. Whether this will play a role in the election remains to be seen.

What issues do you think the CA should focus on next term?
The big winner here is integration, which has frequently been a problem for the Citizens’ Assembly (and most of the NS world, really). The next Chair obviously needs to focus on this, as well as the other main issues, recruitment and mock legislation. Last term, there was a focus on Ordinance Review and Senate relations, so it makes sense to see those issues ranked lower in this poll, as they have been previously dealt with. Most of the candidates have plans for at least two, if all three of the top issues, so it would appear the candidates correctly anticipated the views of the electorate. Again, whether these plans will be well-received remains to be seen.

Who would you like to see as the next Citizens' Assembly Chair?
While Ninja Kittens is the clear winner of our poll, it is important to note that we did not limit this to only include Assemblymembers, so not all of those who voted in this poll may be able to vote in the election. That being said, Ninja Kittens is clearly the front-runner in this election. She has been involved heavily in many Ministries, winning awards for her Assistant Minister work, and has been CA Deputy for two terms. Vinage has earned a reputation for being a radical reformer, but has yet to find an issue that the region agrees is in need of reform. His Senate-CA relations idea has yet to garner support, and his new idea "Acts of Arnhelm", as we will see in our next question, appears to be just as popular. Rose Peak, while being an active member in the CA, has yet to make a huge impact, simply because he is so new. Come next term, I think we can expect him to be a larger threat for this office, or even Senator, should he choose to run in the next election.

Are you satisfied with the current field of candidates?
People are hardly ever satisfied completely in life, but this likely indicates something stronger. Almost half of those voting in this poll found the current list of candidates wanting, and that’s something these candidates should keep in the back of their minds. As voters fill in their ballot’s “Blank Space”, a good chunk of them wish they had another option.

Do you support Vinage's idea for "Acts of Arnhelm"?
“Acts of Arnhelm” would be acts that govern the fictional city that this forum is based in, as a sort of roleplay legislation. The voters, according to our poll, soundly reject this idea, which reflects our earlier results, about Vinage’s lack of support. Should Vinage lose this race, he may have to reconsider his approach to elections, as he would have championed two unpopular reforms in a row, and is earning an unpopular reputation as a result.

Do you have any comments on the race, last term, or the CA in general?
  • NK and Rose are both good candidates. Vinage continues to seem out of touch with the realities of our government.
  • Calvin should have run again. Or Marnip should stand. Both were amazing.
  • Vinage is full of shit. He just wants to reform without any real reason or plan. His reforms would create assemblymen who are disconnected from the realities of Europeian legislation due to only having practiced on RP legislation mimicking real life.
  • Nooooooooo. Vinage. Stop.
Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, sitting on his Chair.

Raw Data

Calvin Coolidge said:
Nooooooooo. Vinage. Stop.
This pretty much sums it up. :p

I think both Rose Peak and NK would be good Chairs, but NK has been around longer and thus is more likely to get the win.

Vinage is an honoured citizen for a reason. That in mind, he'd be better running on his past reputation instead of a future vision. Euro doesn't seem to be terribly keen on rocking boats and sweeping reforms or projects these days.

Vinage shot his wad too early. Without the implementation detail, voters were left with the bare bones of an idea that he had yet to clarify. He would do well to return in the next election with a plan.

Raging Zen Master said:
Vinage is an honoured citizen for a reason. That in mind, he'd be better running on his past reputation instead of a future vision. Euro doesn't seem to be terribly keen on rocking boats and sweeping reforms or projects these days.
A simplistic reaction: we don't like half baked ideas.

Rose Peak said:
I'd hate to say it but 6 of the pollers could have nominated other people.
Some folks are expected to be publicly neutral or are not capable of standing themselves due to other positions held.

That said, it's easier to sit back and criticize others than it is to step up to the plate and run.

A tangentially related question and I ask it out of sincere ignorance: Why do we close polls so early? Would 2-3 days substantially raise the sample size or is that generally not the case?

This one was probably closed early because CA elections opened today. Between when standing opened and when elections open - it's a tighter window to work with than standard Euro elections.

Mousebumples said:
This one was probably closed early because CA elections opened today. Between when standing opened and when elections open - it's a tighter window to work with than standard Euro elections.
It seems to be a trend. I could be mistaken and, as I said, I'm not well versed on the subject.

CA elections only run ... 5 days in total? (I think 3 days for standing and 2 for voting) So for CA elections, it's definitely a trend, as defined by Ordinance.

He may have meant a trend in polls, not CA elections.

I haven't run a poll for awhile, but I typically kept them open for 48-72 hours.

Back